Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > What are you working on now?

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ...
VampyricAcidSILVER Member
veteran
1,286 posts

Posted:
Kinda scared about starting this thread cos i have a bad history of starting thread that already exist BUT i have done an extensive search and im pretty sure that this thread is completely new!!

i was just out in the garden having a bit of a spin, and i thought "hmmm i wonder what other people are trying to learn at the moment" and decided it would be agreat insight into the future of poi and where people were heading, and serve as inspiration to people who are a bit stuck. There is the obvious "oooh ive just learnt this" thread stuck at the top, but i thought it'd be good to hear what problems people are having with the moves while they are learning them, and how the over come them so other people can look and discover ways they might not have thought of.

so start your replies with "This Week I Am Mostly Learning....."

This Week I Am Mostly Learning.....3bt btb weaves, reverse5bt weave, and trying to work out 6bt TTN aswell as forward7bt weave. Problems?? loads, but these moves ( wink):
3btbtb weave, i keep hitting myself in the head, but im slowly getting the timing down,
Reverse 5bt, my wrists dont seem to like it, still working on timing, again keep hitting myself in the head ubbrollsmile
6btTTN again, the wrists are complaining, and the timing keeps going off
Forward7bt, i got a few beats the otehr night but i lost it now frown confused

Proudly Owned By The BMVC

Are You Sniffing My Mitten?

adeathlyauraGOLD Member
The Poi Spinning Undead
173 posts

Posted:
I'm working on spiral wraps, hyper loops, and air wraps at the moment. Speaking of which, the spiral wraps are really frustrating! It seems so easy! I can get them to wrap around my hands but when I try to undo them, it unwraps equal time! I just can't seem to do it right and get it to unwrap split time. Any tips?

Question everything.

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Start unwrapping earlier than you think you need to. Do not let the poi clamp your hands together.

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
owner of the group property
1,277 posts

Posted:
Yeah, I picture it as less "unwrapping" than "kicking the poi back out" with a firm twist back the other way. You don't exactly let them stop so much as twist your hand to meet them (and bounce them back out). Also the grip you're using vs. how you're bringing your hands together can make a difference, but I think if that were the case you'd find that your poi were finishing their wraps at slightly different times, which it doesn't sound like.

But getting them to wrap in the first place is the hardest part, and you're already through that, so you're almost there.

p|.q|r:|::s|.s|s:|:.s|q.|:p|s.|.p|s

adeathlyauraGOLD Member
The Poi Spinning Undead
173 posts

Posted:
Huzzah! I got it. Thanks for the help. Now I'm practicing the other direction so I can try the continuous spiral wraps. grin

Question everything.

[ Unregistered ]addict
413 posts

Posted:
All the horizontal CAP's the reel based one..

ninja

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
Cleaning up horizontal cat-eyes and related hybrids, but mostly trying to tighten up my spinning in general. That is, my spinning usually contains too many slow bits where i revert to reels, but i think i could keep up a more interesting pace than that. I need to spin without "safe moves".

[ Unregistered ]addict
413 posts

Posted:
I thought today about complete reel spinning I meen, with
absolutely no cross-over and I'm finding it quite enjoyable
idea grin .

ninja

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
Working on Charlie-style momentum conserving polyrhythm flowers. Passed over these when I first saw them because at the time I was still spotty with wall plane flowers, but now I think they round out a bunch of stuff I've been playing with.

Ringletstranger
1 post

Posted:
Umm... Just the butterfly. I should have gotten it by now, but I'm just taking ages to.

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
The top hand will want to be about half an inch in front of your bottom hand... it helps the planes not clash.

hug

Stnd54SILVER Member
42 posts

Posted:
Decided to finally get round to finishing of learning 3-beat waist wraps and after far too long I want to start on flowers properly. Any advice?

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Stretching can really help with waist wraps.

Also, try with one poi, getting your planes with your hand in the waist wrap position straight.

Spinning the poi along a plane and turning your body around until you're wrapped into the waistwrap position is the easiest way. If your planes are going whacky, come a little bit out of the waist wrap position and work your way into it.

As far as flowers go, there are many ways in which to get into them.

If you're hazy on the terminology of flowers, then try this page

Flowers are basic components of poi put together to create complex patterns, as long as you never forget that they're simply basics put together in advanced ways, then you'll be able to extrapolate all the variations once you learn a new one.

I try to get people to move their arms without poi before they start a practice session focussing on flowers, which is why I made this video.

The easiest flower for most beginners to learn is a prospin butterfly flower. You can have focus points at the 12 o clock, 3 o clock, 6 o clock and 9 o clock positions. You can also do just the 3 and 9 positions (easier than the 12 and 6 for a beginner)

If you're ready to try antispins (after trying just antispin with one poi) you might want to watch the first minute or so of this video

Apologies for just linking to my videos, but text is difficult and I made the videos because... thats the way I teach them. ^_^

If you have any questions, feel free to pump em out!

Happy twirlings and sorry for my ramblings!

hug

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
Wot 'e sed. smile

MNS still has one of the best intro videos for stalls as well. Just as a by the way.

droidBRONZE Member
stranger
19 posts

Posted:
I'm currently exploring the wall with inward and outward TTN. Trying to become more comfortable with an extended range of motion in preparation for triquetras. I need to devote some effort to split-time butterflies so that I can break through the frustration of crashing poi heads. Flowers are coming along nicely, working on smoothing out the timing of my same direction same time and same direction split-time variations.

adeathlyauraGOLD Member
The Poi Spinning Undead
173 posts

Posted:
I'm working on many different things, but for now, I'm trying to focus on these:

Flowers and turning with them
Isolated moves
Hybrids
Stall patterns (stall switches, horizontal stacks, etc.)

Question everything.

droidBRONZE Member
stranger
19 posts

Posted:
Looking for some guidance and direction from the folks here at HOP. Lately I've been working on the triquetra, CAP No. 2, wallplane anti-spin flowers, and same-direction split-time wheel flowers (not sure what the specific term for that is). My triquetra still needs a lot of work but I've got the rest of them down for the most part. Could you please recommend patterns that I might consider learning next? Oh and I'm also working on the 3-beat BTB weave, progress on that one is a little slow. Thanks in advance!

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
Hey Droid. I can show you some stuff in a couple weeks if you want. Bulwer Park around 1900/1930is till 2200 or so, every second Wednesday. There are people there now actually, but I have had the plague so am staying in.

adeathlyauraGOLD Member
The Poi Spinning Undead
173 posts

Posted:
For now I've decided to focus most of my practice time on various anti-spin flowers.

There are a few that I know of: same direction 4 petal wall plane anti-spin where the poi are doing the same petal at the same time, opposite direction wall plane anti-spin, double triquetra, 6 petal circle of life anti-spin, split time same direction anti-spin where the hands pass each other vertically in the middle, wheel plane anti-spin, and wheel plane butterfly anti-spin.

Then, of course, there are the hybrids: triquetra vs. extension, wheel plane anti-spin vs. extension, wheel plane anti-spin vs. pro-spin (goofy flowers), and anti-spin vs. pendulum.

Anyone have any advice for me? Anti-spin moves that I don't know of or perhaps a really helpful video or two? smile

Question everything.

oppomix13stranger
3 posts

Posted:

Hello everyone I am new to this forum.

thirteenBRONZE Member
The Death Card
195 posts

Posted:
I CAN TURN WITH ANTISPIN WHEEL PLANE FLOWERS AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

this ranks right up there with 3bt weave turns and my first spiral wrap on the scale of awesomeness. and I got butterfly weaves down the same day! it was a very good day for poi. all those practice sessions where I felt like I hadn't improved at all suddenly seem worthwhile.

The dawn has come
And the wine will run
And the song must be sung
And the flowers are melting
In the sun

thirteenBRONZE Member
The Death Card
195 posts

Posted:
accidentally did a hyperloop/cateye combination last night. which is funny because I can't do regular cateyes. it looks badass though.

think hyperloop -> half of a cateye upon exiting -> back into hyperloop, repeat

The dawn has come
And the wine will run
In the sun

adeathlyauraGOLD Member
The Poi Spinning Undead
173 posts

Posted:
It sounds pretty awesome, thirteen. smile I've yet to master the hyperloop. I can't even do it. >.< Though I can do orbitals, which I find kind of strange since most people learn hyperloops first. Heh.

Right now I'm working on various flower patterns, footwork, stacking, and a bit of 3d spinning.

Question everything.

thirteenBRONZE Member
The Death Card
195 posts

Posted:
that is strange! I can't do orbitals yet, lol. if you were closer I'd teach you all about hyperloops; they are one of my favorite things to do and I like figuring out new ways to mess with them.

and <3 footwork. not enough poi artists working on footwork in my opinion! have you seen Nick Woolsey's tutorials on footwork and whirling with reels?

The dawn has come
And the wine will run
In the sun

adeathlyauraGOLD Member
The Poi Spinning Undead
173 posts

Posted:
Well, if I'm ever in Minnesota, I will send you a message. grin Or if you're ever in Austin.

I completely agree! The dance aspect of poi has always been my biggest influence and so good footwork is my main goal at the moment. I was introduced to poi by fire dancers at a Ren faire, and they actually danced! Unlike the tech spinners I mainly see at raves. I've seen Nick Woolsey's tutorials on footwork. I can't whirl yet though. >.< My planes go crazy. There's also a pretty good footwork tutorial in the poi library under movement.

Question everything.

thirteenBRONZE Member
The Death Card
195 posts

Posted:
...seriously? I'll be in Austin in a week! Fugee is going to try and make the trip down too. we must meet up and spin, do you guys have a fire jam or anything like that?

I am really shy in person though redface

and yeah, I don't want to rip on any one style (although I kinda do...) but I much prefer fire dancers to fire spinners. you can integrate tech with dance; I see no reason to do tech alone!

yeah keeping planes while whirling is hard. mine probably look sloppy; it's a hard to find a good practice space with enough room to whirl that still has a mirror. next thing I want to learn is barrel jumping per srikanta barefoot's tutorial that was posted on playpoi recently... so cool!
EDITED_BY: thirteen (1323463963)

The dawn has come
And the wine will run
In the sun

adeathlyauraGOLD Member
The Poi Spinning Undead
173 posts

Posted:
Oh, awesome! We *should* meet up and spin! About the meets, there were the Round Rock Hoopers poi meet ups on Tuesdays and Thursdays, but the group closed down on meetups.com about a month ago so I have no idea if this is still happening. It was a non-fire meet though. There's also the Texas Juggler's Society that meets at UT on Thursdays from 7-10 pm. Again, non-fire. However, the Austin Pyrotechnics Group meets once a month. I've never been to a meeting, but I assume you can use fire there. You're just in time too, since the next meet up is this upcoming Thursday at 6:30 pm. There's nothing stopping us from spinning fire though! The fire ban has been called off. So, I'm sure you can find something if that doesn't work out. Also, I have 7 acres of land that is pretty secluded outside of Austin that is perfect for spinning fire. I've been wanting to start frequent fire jams, but I don't really know many fire dancers, despite living outside of Austin.

And that's okay! I'm kind of shy too (which is probably why I don't know many fire dancers) and very reserved, so I get it.

I am the same. The dance aspect of poi is much more important to me, but you're right that tech can be integrated into it so I like to learn both.

I don't use mirrors. >.< Not for a lack of wanting to though. I typically use my sliding glass door late at night with my flow toys. That video is awesome! I've been practicing that, but I lose my balance a lot so my barrel jumping definitely needs work. I've also been trying to work in forwards handsprings somehow (stall down, handspring, continue spinning), but it needs work too. How long have you been spinning?

Question everything.

thirteenBRONZE Member
The Death Card
195 posts

Posted:
all those meets on thursdays... when I leave at 6 AM on thursday the 21st. 7 acres of land sounds fun though!

mirrors are so helpful. or even a video camera... I just saw a video of myself spinning and it was painful, but educational lol.

handsprings would be really cool, and definitely push things onto a whole new level of awesome smile

I've been spinning since January of this year, how about you?

The dawn has come
And the wine will run
In the sun

adeathlyauraGOLD Member
The Poi Spinning Undead
173 posts

Posted:
Yeah, I don't get it. Thursday seems to be a popular day for it. It's also the day CU @ Circus meets. It's at 5 in front of the UT tower. There's no fire (or at least I don't think so), but there's a whole lot of random circus skills being practiced every week.

I agree. Acrobatics and poi look so awesome, but I very rarely see it. Actually, I've never seen it except for on youtube. Most of the spinners here are very tech oriented.

Oooh, congrats on nearly a year! I've been spinning since March. I wish I had started earlier, but I just didn't see what was so great about poi the first few times I saw it. It wasn't until I saw it done well that I got interested.

Question everything.

thirteenBRONZE Member
The Death Card
195 posts

Posted:
yeah the spinners here are like that too. I like it... but I would like to see more movement as well. although it can be so tempting to work on tech when dance seems unrewarding... I'm in that space right now. I want to learn new tech but I just saw a video of myself spinning and I was like "oh no, we've got movement issues to work on. so many issues."

I feel like so much of the focus in spinning is linking move to move though... that gets boring for me smirk

The dawn has come
And the wine will run
In the sun

Firefly777BRONZE Member
stranger
10 posts

Posted:
Working on Butterfly variations smile

Page: ...