Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > What are you working on now?

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
VampyricAcidSILVER Member
veteran
1,286 posts

Posted:
Kinda scared about starting this thread cos i have a bad history of starting thread that already exist BUT i have done an extensive search and im pretty sure that this thread is completely new!!

i was just out in the garden having a bit of a spin, and i thought "hmmm i wonder what other people are trying to learn at the moment" and decided it would be agreat insight into the future of poi and where people were heading, and serve as inspiration to people who are a bit stuck. There is the obvious "oooh ive just learnt this" thread stuck at the top, but i thought it'd be good to hear what problems people are having with the moves while they are learning them, and how the over come them so other people can look and discover ways they might not have thought of.

so start your replies with "This Week I Am Mostly Learning....."

This Week I Am Mostly Learning.....3bt btb weaves, reverse5bt weave, and trying to work out 6bt TTN aswell as forward7bt weave. Problems?? loads, but these moves ( wink):
3btbtb weave, i keep hitting myself in the head, but im slowly getting the timing down,
Reverse 5bt, my wrists dont seem to like it, still working on timing, again keep hitting myself in the head ubbrollsmile
6btTTN again, the wrists are complaining, and the timing keeps going off
Forward7bt, i got a few beats the otehr night but i lost it now frown confused

Proudly Owned By The BMVC

Are You Sniffing My Mitten?

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
owner of the group property
1,277 posts

Posted:
It's really weird but I'm finding I have one bad stall. Left hand, downwards, to my left. Always really sloppy, often I don't even manage to stall it completely, especially during this stall combo that's really stunning otherwise. It's kinda weird, really, to have just one of them be so much worse than the others.

p|.q|r:|::s|.s|s:|:.s|q.|:p|s.|.p|s

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Stall combo?

Always happy to hear of new ones....

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
I'm having difficulty with stalls behind my back, I'm trying to get one where it stalls upwards behind my back doing kind of a basic CAP motion except it's an extension every time, hence that stall.

BUT! My stall coming from the bottom keeps going back instead of up, the one on top is fine.

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: astonStall combo?

Probably nothing fancy, but I like the look of vertically stalling from split time same (in wall plane), to split time butterfly, vertical stall again immediately, split time same in the other direction, vertical stall, split time butterfly, repeat a couple times back and forth across wall plane. The same direction spins go through only one orbit, the butterflies only a half orbit. I like to end this recently by going back into split time same, stalling horizontally, one high, one low, pulling it into a corkscrew briefly, stalling into an antispin butterfly flower.

It's a very jagged series of movements, but it goes well with metal and glitch.

JamethGOLD Member
enthusiast
378 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: death hunterhow do you do a flower? (i feel really stupid asking)

For the broadest defintion of a poi flower, you move your arms in circles and at the same time spin the poi in other cirles, to give what Nick Woolsey calls a compound circle. Most of the patterns look at bit like the flowers of a petal if done at night with something that glows.

Nick says (on Scales of Poi, I dunno about online) that there's 64 different possible combos of arm and poi direction and timeing possible, I take his word for it. confused2

Definitely check out playpoi.com for some specific examples.
EDITED_BY: Jameth (1264987391)
EDIT_REASON: spellyng

2,280 posts

Posted:
Yeah, that's right, but if you count turning with them, I believe that would multiply that to, according to my head math, 128.

But those numbers don't count amounts of petals, and I don't think that turns should be counted because it doesn't affect the pattern.

Damn me and my rantings tongue2 but yes 64 is right, 8x8 grin find the 8 out for yourself because i don't feel like listing

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Sister ElevenOriginally Posted By: astonStall combo?

Probably nothing fancy, but I like the look of vertically stalling from split time same (in wall plane), to split time butterfly, vertical stall again immediately, split time same in the other direction, vertical stall, split time butterfly, repeat a couple times back and forth across wall plane. The same direction spins go through only one orbit, the butterflies only a half orbit. I like to end this recently by going back into split time same, stalling horizontally, one high, one low, pulling it into a corkscrew briefly, stalling into an antispin butterfly flower.

It's a very jagged series of movements, but it goes well with metal and glitch.

Sounds like fun. Will play. smile

The 64 (well, 8) comes from direction and timing senses:
same-time or split-time
same direction or opposites (butterfly)

Incidentally, if you wanted to add turning, it would be 256, since you can turn in two directions.

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

JamethGOLD Member
enthusiast
378 posts

Posted:
1024 for the athletic??? (somersault, both ways). grin
EDITED_BY: Jameth (1265064841)

2,280 posts

Posted:
Lol, How do you do that with butterfly arm motions? I can do something like that with, umm, I think it would be considered extensions. But I combine it with stalls so it doesn't get a full extension between stalls.

Btw, I think what I do is called a Monkeyjump. Haven't gotten good at all at it yet because a lack of outside practice (damn you cold weather) but I can still barely do it.

death hunterstranger
4 posts

Posted:
thank you very much i have had a hard time finding new moves but this is very helpfull

Just because people who do the right thing because it is the right thing are hard to come by doesn’t mean we don’t exist

Paddington BearSILVER Member
118 posts

Posted:
will somebody please please please explain to me what a monkey jump is?
ive heard it a few times and i have no idea what it is :$

fire is alive. it lives and breathes. it consumes and destroys. but we control it and live with it, we are fire dancers

2,280 posts

Posted:
Yes, that is what I do, and I can't really explain, but I've taken it to learn, and I think I have now, most in this video. Monkey jump is near the end and I looked and I cannot do the antispin flower thing, all of the splittime butterfly stalls, or throws.I cando most of those hybrids though, other things I learned in the past month grin

brenonfire413SILVER Member
Fire Spinner Exarch
514 posts

Posted:
Right now I'm moving away from trying to learn trick after trick (not that I was learning piles of new tricks!) and now am trying to just move around with the poi swinging and figure out my own flow. Problem is I've never ever been good at dancing and frankly I'm pretty rigid in my movements. It's a nice day out so I'll give it some time outside to play around with that. Fortunately Nick's vids seem to have an emphasis on that for the beginners. Between that and more plane control, I've got enough to keep me occupied for a while. I might need to hit up some graceful friends or get in touch with some of the local belly dancer groups to get some good advice on properly shaking my @$$! tongue2

"Are you sure it's safe to drink bleach?"
"Yes, bleach is 90% water, we are 90% water, therefore: we are bleach."
-Nathan Explosion, Metalocalypse

2,280 posts

Posted:
I am actually doing a similar thing, I am going to be trading Geometry tutoring for dance lessons from one of the best dancers in Michigan, she does the Nutcracker at the FOX Theater in Detroit every year and this was her last time this year frown

But yeah, I've been mostly doing tech all winter because I've been trapped inside and still am. I can't say it hasn't freed me up a ton though, I think I'll have an advantage of first practicing my flow with all the fun moves/transitions I've been working on grin

I strongly suggest after you fix your planes as that is the most important for flow, and work on under the legs when you can.

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
Working on remembering to actually warm up and stretch before I practice. My poor old lady shoulders!

Edit: And to spin for shorter sessions when recovering. Fifteen minutes always turns into an hour and a half...
EDITED_BY: Sister Eleven (1265459282)

KittehRaverSILVER Member
=^,-,^=
35 posts

Posted:
Trying to learn behind the back and under the leg stuff. Can't seem to grasp it for whatever reason.

I'm the resident Vampyre Kitteh!
NYAH!

2,280 posts

Posted:
Yeah, that stuff takes quite a while to get. Btb will take a while and wheelplane btb will take a much longer while.

And utl things take a lot of practice, but what happened to me was at one point it just came to me and I could do it no problem, I think utl is a kind of hit or miss when doing moves.

So keep hangin in there, and when practicing btb, for a long time, if you don't stretch first, you'll hurt your shoulder like I did. And trust me it's painful, stretch please, I can't stress it enough, I couldn't practice for about a week. Especially waistwraps.

I would also suggest learn btb well before doing utl because your hands will be back there.

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
Polishing plane control on BTB weave, forward weave, pendulum vs. C-CAP hybrid for the hell of it (trickier than it looks), UTL stuffs.

brenonfire413SILVER Member
Fire Spinner Exarch
514 posts

Posted:
Working on making my btb weave not suck so much and to be able to sustain it for longer. After that I think I'm going to learn some different wraps this weekend. Those are fun!

Going to start recording myself doing stuff to see what I can't see and to compile the kind of things I can do or the problems I'm having with certain tricks.

"Are you sure it's safe to drink bleach?"
"Yes, bleach is 90% water, we are 90% water, therefore: we are bleach."
-Nathan Explosion, Metalocalypse

TeamoGOLD Member
Almost again
124 posts

Posted:
Working on BTB forwards weave myself. I've known it backwards for ages, but I put off learning it the other way due to it being a pain in the arse. Also improving my inversions so that I can get into doing different variations.

And everytime I have a flow session, I try to do a lot of plane changing in the 4 basic planes and especially have the two poi in different ones. I suspect doing this will not only gain me more flow and confidence in my spinning, I'm hoping it'll help me get into the idea of "open spinning" which ahs been talked about around here.

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
In addition to working on pretty much everything from my last post here (btb weaves are hell on my shoulders), I realized I haven't really been using horizontal planes, so now I'm playing around with that, fixing my plane control there (which is bollocks), working on some plane switches involving the horizontal with plenty of inspiration from G.

Antispin 4x4 fountain continues to confound me. I just can't find a way to break it down that makes sense. I can do a 4x4 antispin something, but it doesn't look or feel much like a fountain.

2,280 posts

Posted:
I still am not good at it because i have no room to practice it thanks to ceiling tongue2 For me, it's still really awkward. And I think Nick actually does have a video that mentions it. He doesn't go into any detail, but it does show him do it like once, so you can see some of the awkwardness that I'm talking about.

Ok I found it. He does it at about 6:30

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
Aha! I'll get back to you after the spin jam today...

Also: D'oh! for my not seeing sooner the similarities between the several motions (all actually THE SAME BLOODY THING) I've been trying for this move.
EDITED_BY: Sister Eleven (1267894375)
EDIT_REASON: Also:

JamethGOLD Member
enthusiast
378 posts

Posted:
That's one of my favourite things about Nick's vids: the way he helps me understand how the different moves fit together, and how variants relate, rather than presenting them all as isolated tricks. smile

2,280 posts

Posted:
I think we can all agree on that yes

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
I can't tongue2 I like Nick's enthusiasm, and some of his tutorials are decent, but for the most part I find his presentation kind of scattered. I'll take any of Derek's videos first. As for that video, all I watched is the fifteen seconds around when he did that move, without sound. I just needed to actually see it done.

(I just have to say this out loud to let other people know that there are others who just don't think Nick is the greatest teacher in the world ever.)

JamethGOLD Member
enthusiast
378 posts

Posted:
Fair enough: people learn in different ways.

2,280 posts

Posted:
Yeah, I prefer to see more Nick's style learning. But for some things I have used Derek's videos as they are very helpful for learning a single move. I have also gone back and looked at Nick's version afterwards to see its relation to other moves.

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
I loved Scales of Poi (good fundamentals are always the key to pretty much everything else), and one of his videos is what got me playing with stalls and plane switches. So I'm not saying he's bad by any stretch. I'm kind of theory-driven, so the stuff I find most helpful in the long run is Alien Jon, Drex, Charlie, that sort of thing.

ecaBRONZE Member
197 posts

Posted:
Finally managed to get the 3bt weave this morning, it's still sloppy and not very pretty looking but at least now I get it and know what I'm doing.

Otherwise: Isolation, stalls, and general movement while spinning.

"Think of the pussy, Weevil."
"What's a pussy-weevil?"

Page: ......