Page:
BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
Apparently, men with "homosexual tendencies" who don't live celibate for at least 3 years won't be made priests anymore. The same is true for applicants who are open about their homosexuality, i.e. go to gay meetings. Homosexual literature, films and websites are to be forbidden in the seminars' rooms. The document is to be published in November.

Why does it matter if a gay or straight guy becomes a priest when they're not supposed to have sex anyways???

Boo frown

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I dunno...I've studied the old testament in English and in Hebrew.

If we take it in its current version (which is what the Church does) I'm pretty convinced that it strongly discourages (by stoning) homosexual sex. Not homosexuality (meaning the tendency to want to engage in gay sex acts), per se, but homosexual sex.

Oh there are these arguments about the story of Sodom and what it means by "lie with" and etc. but I think those are reaches. It doesn't take a genius reading the Bible to see that it bans gay sex.

Fantastamagoric. I could give a flying fig. The same book says the earth is 6,000 or so years old and was made in 7 days and that putting a slave's eye out isn't the same as putting a nobleman's eye out. I don't buy a single word of any of it, so what does it matter to me?

Nothing.

And, I'll repeat: the day the Church stands at the forefront of human rights is the day that I'll eat my hat.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
Well the thing you need to remember about the bible is that

A: It was written 2000 years ago (or something)

B: Its been translated so some words and meanings are a little lost.

C: People wrote it 2000 years ago so the general attitude to things (such as gay sex and homosexual gay boys) are going to be pretty prodominant, the bible would be sooooo much different if it was written today.

D: Half that stuff are interpritations and parables, and I dont think it says anywhere its a word for word guide on how to live a good christian life, you have to interprite it in your own way

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Written by: Brit_Joe

D: Half that stuff are interpritations and parables, and I dont think it says anywhere its a word for word guide on how to live a good christian life, you have to interprite it in your own way

There are "Christians" in the US, fundamentalists, who believe that the every word of the bible is the truth.

Although I don't see them owning slaves.

-Mike

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
Well thats just them, kinda silly really. They must know god himself didnt pick up a pen and write it, so hows it gods word? Its men's word.

No one even wrote down any storys of jesus until after his death, years and years after. and the bible wasnt actually written for generations after the whole jesus thing. (best way i can think how to put it)

at least I think it wasnt.

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
The term "Innerant KJV Bible" has been thrown in my face.

Joe, they're not silly. They pull the strings on the President.

-Mike

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
No i mean the ideas silly, i know there clever and all, and have this wierd powerbase. but anyway i dont usually do polatics

Tao StarPooh-Bah
1,662 posts

Posted:
it's worrying is what it is.

some people seem to want to undo 2000 years of civillisation builiding - and ok, we're not perfect by a long shot, but i definately don't want to go back to biblical times, and i'm willing to bet that i they went back there they woudn't like it either. especially when they discover jesus wasn't white....lol

it's scary that they are that close to such a huge power base. eek

I had a dream that my friend had a
strong-bad pop up book,
it was the book of my dreams.

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
What I'm not really getting is why homosexuality has such a special role now. According to the old testament, masturbation is just as bad, and so are wet dreams, so unless you're really asexual you can't be a priest without sinning in that area. Now add the catholic rule of no marriage. To me those things should be treated equally, not for human rights but because if noone's without sin (quote Jesus), why treat one like a criminal and close your eyes on the other?

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Tao StarPooh-Bah
1,662 posts

Posted:
exactly my feelings. they're not double standards they're infinate!

you can't follow the bible to the letter. it's impractical, unethical, illegal and lots of other discriptive words... lots is good....lots is baaaad.

I had a dream that my friend had a
strong-bad pop up book,
it was the book of my dreams.

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
Here's something that's been on the net for ages... I don't mean it to be offensive to anyone, it's just to illustrate that if you take bible passages literally you don't get their true meaning. I've just discovered an answer by the lady this letter is adressed to, and she herself admits that most of these laws are outdated now, or the meanings have been mixed up in translations, etc... hope it amuses some of you, if anyone takes offence: I do NOT mean this as having a laugh at Jewish or Christian rules!

Dr. Laura Schlessinger is a US radio personality who dispenses advice to people who call in to her radio show.

Recently, she said that, as an observant Orthodox Jew, homosexuality is an abomination according to Leviticus 18:22, and cannot be condoned under any circumstance.

The following is an open letter to Dr. Laura penned by a US resident, which was posted on the Internet. It's funny, as well as informative:

Dear Dr. Laura:

Thank you for doing so much to educate people regarding God's Law. I have learned a great deal from your show, and try to share that knowledge with as many people as I can. When someone tries to defend the homosexual lifestyle, for example, I simply remind them that Leviticus 18:22 clearly states it to be an abomination. End of debate.

I do need some advice from you, however, regarding some of the other specific laws and how to follow them.

1. When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a pleasing odour for the Lord - Lev.1:9. The problem is my neighbours. They claim the odour is not pleasing to them. Should I smite them?

2. I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7. In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for her?

3. I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is in her period of menstrual cleanliness - Lev.15:19-24. The problem is, how do I tell? I have tried asking, but most women take offence.

4. Lev. 25:44 states that I may indeed possess slaves, both male and female, provided they are purchased from neighbouring nations. A friend of mine claims that this applies to Mexicans, but not Canadians. Can you clarify? Why can't I own Canadians?

5. I have a neighbour who insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2 clearly states he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself?

6. A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an abomination - Lev. 11:10, it is a lesser abomination than homosexuality. I don't agree. Can you settle this?

7. Lev. 21:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if I have a defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear reading glasses. Does my vision have to be 20/20, or is there some wiggle room here?

8. Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair around their temples, even though this is expressly forbidden by Lev. 19:27. How should they die?

9. I know from Lev. 11:6-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes me unclean, but may I still play football if I wear gloves?

10. My uncle has a farm. He violates Lev. 19:19 by planting two different crops in the same field, as does his wife by wearing garments made of two different kinds of thread cotton/polyester blend). He also tends to curse and blaspheme a lot. Is it really necessary that we go to all the trouble of getting the whole town together to stone them? -Lev.24:10-16. Couldn't we just burn them to death at a private family affair like we do with people who sleep with their in-laws? (Lev.20:14)

I know you have studied these things extensively, so I am confident you can help. Thank you again for reminding us that God's word is eternal and unchanging.

Your devoted disciple and adoring fan

(G.W. Dahlquist)

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
Lets not forget Eddie Izzard's mediation of the Last Supper

Jesus: Dad! I had the last supper! I said to them 'drink this wine it is my blood'

God (who is James Mason): You said what?! That's vampirism! Why didn't you say 'Drink this wine it is a Merlot'? Did you say anything else? Anything that might screw things up for the next 2000 years?

Jesus: ...............................No........

God: Nothing about bread........?

Jesus: Oh yes, I said 'eat this bread, it is my......FAVOURITE!'

God: ..............

Jesus: Alright I said 'Eat this is bread it is my body'

God: That's cannibalism! You have preached vampirism and cannibalism at once! What next? 'Eat these carrots it is my central nervous system'?!

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
Lets not forget Eddie Izzard's mediation of the Last Supper

Jesus: Dad! I had the last supper! I said to them 'drink this wine it is my blood'

God (who is James Mason): You said what?! That's vampirism! Why didn't you say 'Drink this wine it is a Merlot'? Did you say anything else? Anything that might screw things up for the next 2000 years?

Jesus: ...............................No........

God: Nothing about bread........?

Jesus: Oh yes, I said 'eat this bread, it is my......FAVOURITE!'

God: ..............

Jesus: Alright I said 'Eat this is bread it is my body'

God: That's cannibalism! You have preached vampirism and cannibalism at once! What next? 'Eat these carrots it is my central nervous system'?!

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
Written by: Doc Lightning

Yup. I forget who said it but it was something along the lines of "Sir, I would spend my life opposing what you propose, but I'll die to defend your right to say it."

See my Sig. smile

I think I agree with most people here that Catholicism is a bit silly in some of it's ideas. rolleyes

After much consideration, I find that the view is worth the asphyxiation.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

jeff(fake)Scientist of Fortune
1,189 posts

Posted:
Written by: Birgit

if anyone takes offence: I do NOT mean this as having a laugh at Jewish or Christian rules!

It's simply pointing out things which are clearly written in their own holy book. If they take offence at it then they are taking offense at their own religion. I think they will then need to stoned themselves to death.

According to Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle of Quantum Dynamics, we may already be making love right now...

Page: