Forums > Social Discussion > Where should I move for a year and why?

Login/Join to Participate

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
Yup, you heard me. I have about a year to kill (I'm applying for schools next year, so, hopefully, I will be in a uni next year.....) and I want to know where I should go and what I should do.... because I don't really have a lot of ideas. Not Michigan. But otherwise, any state or country.... until next, I think september, at least....
Preferrably one I can work a decent job in, but I'm not above being a mangy tourist if i can legally rent somewhere.....
or camp, or whatever tongue
I've thought about nyc, and i'm still thinking about it, and also rhode island, (providence area) but what are some other ideas?

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
You can move to NYC if you want but you gotta kick Mike out first. Only one new HoPer a year or else my head starts to hurt. wink

(It would be lovely to have you here but it is a bit of a rough city if you're not one of us.) biggrin

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
Kali's new too, so... your head must hurt tongue

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Written by: NYC

You can move to NYC if you want but you gotta kick Mike out first. Only one new HoPer a year or else my head starts to hurt. wink

(It would be lovely to have you here but it is a bit of a rough city if you're not one of us.) biggrin

Too late, Kali just arrived.

Kyri, move here. Maybe if we make NYC's head hurt enough, he'll leave.

wink

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
Have you thought of York, Uk?? wink

Failing that, most people seems to like our part of the globe... if ya can get a visa there's heaps of work.. nice weather... peeps...whales... birds.. beaches...forests.... ya and I reckon better camping than in NYC...

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

VixenSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,276 posts

Posted:
Oxford!!!! xxx

tHeReS gOoD aNd EvIl iN EaCh InDiViDuAl fIrE, iDeNtIfIeS nEeDs AnD fEeDs OuR dEsIrEs.

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
try the tnt magazine... it's mainly used by Aussies wanting to work in the UK, but it's got lots of job opportunities abroad, including stuff like working in hostels where you get free accomodation smile

(just google tnt magazine, there's different websites for different parts of the world I think)

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
Well, thing is I can't legally work in britain (unless someone has some brilliant idea?) so in general working abroad requires social miracles or cash and carry....

Heh, yes I've thought of york tongue Thing being I can't work and all that... Don't know if I can live on 400 pounds a month even there tho, and also don't know what it takes to rent for a year when i'm just a poor little tourist ^_^

Of course, living in nyc takes a bit too, but I can scope out the situation with ease, its less than a 13 hours drive and there's even trains and buses that run there.....

I dunno, keep ideas coming in people!

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
Depends how old you are, but Australia gives 'working holiday' visas and there is currently drastic labour shortages in lots of areas specially doing stuf like fruit picking....

roarfireSILVER Member
comfortably numb
2,676 posts

Posted:
Come to aus and do fruit picking. Everyone comes to aus for the fruitpicking! It's the greatest job you could ever have.... *cough*

In all seriousness, come to Aus. It's lovely country wih plenty of hoppers to meet!

.All things are beautiful if we take the time to look.

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
Hey there girl, nothing wrong with frooot! And if yr pickin it yr eating it! And if yr eating it... um.... you dont have to spend so much money! It's good for you!

Keeps ya regular!

Serious there's a demand for sometihng like 30,000 pickers on the east coast at the moment, and the Gov is even thinking of importing like LOADS of peeps on tiny short visas to do it! From eg China...

and if you don;t like froooot.. how bout BEER! beerchug ubbloco

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
Thailand, there's no such thing as winter

If you're willing to put up with the immigration demands, like leaving the country every month or two you'll do o.k. on 400 pounds a month, without working. More money would be better but that amount will give you a roof over your head, three meals a day and you can spin fire on the beach every night.

It's a far cry from moving to nyc though, so you'll have to put some thought into what you're really after, a year is a long time

spritieSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,014 posts

Posted:
I think it would be helpful to look at what sorts of things you would like to do job-wise...is it just simple stuff like waiting tables that you could do almost anywhere, or is there something more specific you'd like to do like work someplace with animals, be a tour guide in a national park, or something else place specific.

Also, look at cost of living in various areas versus how much you would be earning. Could you support yourself easily and still have money left over for some fun?

yannicusGOLD Member
169 posts

Posted:
no winter in thailand, monsoon and tsunami, much better

-Believing that all has been said and done is like mistaking the horizon for the limits of the world. Voltaire.
-Plus je connais hommes, plus j'aime mon chien. Pascal.

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
I'm not after a proper job as I don't think anyone would give me one short term, altho i tend to preer outdoor (landscaping) type work i can wait tables and stuff too... I just figure more money is better, rather than living off savings....

Thing is, i'm not after anything in particular. Thats why this is so hard. A year is a long time, definetly, and it could be broken into shorter time periods, thats fine, I just... need something to do with myself. Like I said I want to go back to uni next year, and in the meantime, .....

I know fruit picking is really crap for your back and stuff, but if they really need people that badly, maybe for just a short time.... i mean, it would be a new expirience. I'm a little afriad of the amount of poisonous things oz has tho....

one thing i would like would be no agressive airborne stinging insects. Love spiders, fine with most bugs, but bees/wasps/etc go after me like there's no tommorow....

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
Monsson? easy, just go where they aren't,
Tsunami? freak occurance

You could always teach english in Thailand, the wages aren't good, in fact I hear they're among the lowest in the whole TEOSL program, and they're usually indoors

How about getting into scuba diving? there's usually work for divemasters i.e. slave in a dive shop. It gets you outdoors and is really lots of fun however it will cost you about a thousand dollars for your education.

And,,,there's always the yachting industry in Florida for the winter, and the Mediterrian for the summer. I guess you can tell I'm dreaming of warm tropical places smile

MurfdaSmurfmember
59 posts

Posted:
Duh!!!

You should go to New Zealand!!! The home of POI!!!! As for work You like landscaping? How 'bout working on organic farms? Try W.O.O.F.ing it is a way for people to get hooked up with organic farm wok around the world. I learned about it at Arcosanti. Hey you could go there too. www.arcosanti.org it is an archetecture community in AZ. I worked the landscaping dept for 2 years the last one I was the manager. Then I worked the maintence dept the was a cook. You gotta pay to go though. Last I remember to do a workshop ( a 5 week work study) cost $1,200. so I don't know if ya wanna pay for that, but you will pay to go anywhere. That does include room and board, so it might be worth checking out.

But I still say go to New Zealand!!!

I thought I waz just dreammin'?!!??!!??!! Dis place can't really be real.

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
I third that, come to York wink

With the most votes so far, York is the place to be... biggrin

And you don't need a permit if you're just working in a Chippy or something. Unless you're actually working for a company, then very few people will care about your documents.

After much consideration, I find that the view is worth the asphyxiation.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
Er, whats a chippy?
And are you quite sure about the documents? Cause that would be so [censored] brilliant...

I do rather like york! (even on its own, w/o the boy bit... tongue)

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

OrangeBoboSILVER Member
veteran
1,389 posts

Posted:
I'm gonna be the oddball, and say Halifax , Canada! It' nice, clean, relaxed or fast paced if you want it to be, very cultural (been referred to as the canadian San Francisco - just smaller!). Several Unis around, so you can get into the Uni atmosphere (partying, etc...) lovely water frond, great gardens, cool ships and boats... It goes on and on!

Majorly lacking a spinning scene here though, but there's a couple of us around (as in, I can count them on my hands...) And it's PRETTY! Drive 20 mins from downtown, and you can become lost in forests.

I love it here biggrin ubblove *runs off to find sites*

EDIT: to give you a quick idea (but it's aimed at tourists...) https://www.halifax.ca/visitors.asp

~ Bobo
EDITED_BY: OrangeBobo (1125455840)

wie weit, wie weit noch?
fragst mich, wo wir gewesen sind...
du fehlst hier

Dr_MollyPooh-Bah
2,354 posts

Posted:
Kyrian - a chippy is a shop which sells fish and chips (fries) and other greasy things.
You need a work permit to work in Britain even in a chip shop unless you want to work illegally because you don't think anyone will check (which is what Sethis seemed to be suggesting). If they do check however you're in big trouble and have probably scuppered your future chances of coming to the UK legally.

Move to New York - it's where the cool kids are wink

FireByNiteSILVER Member
Are you up for it??
349 posts

Posted:
Written by: MurfdaSmurf

Duh!!!

You should go to New Zealand!!! The home of POI!!!!
But I still say go to New Zealand!!!

I totally agree! smile NZ rocks with loads of poi & staff spinners.
Can get quite expensive from US though

Are you up for it?
wink;)

MurfdaSmurfmember
59 posts

Posted:
If you look into it you will find New Zealand is one of the coolest governments around. It was the first to allow (not that you have to allow) women to vote. They declared a Nuclear free zone, and banded the S Pacific together to stop the US from testing their Nuclear weapons. They have women in the top levels of government. In fact I have never heard anyone say anything bad about the place. And of course you can learn tons of poi tricks and come home and blow everyone away with how great you are.

Seriously check out WOOFing it is a cool way to travel around. I had friends used it to travel Australia and New Zealand in one trip. WOOFing stands for something like Workers Of Organic Farms or World Oginisation of Organic
Farms. I am not sure but it is a good way to get hooked up with a place to stay food and a job. You don't usually get paid much, but if most of your expenses are covered that isn't a big deal. I would suggest looking into it no matter where you want to go since it is for the entire world.

MurfdaSmurfmember
59 posts

Posted:
Ok did a quick google search and here is a little more info on WWOOFing I had spelled it wrong.

The International WWOOF Association is dedicated to helping those who would like to volunteer on organic farms internationally.
The aims of WWOOF are to ... enable people to learn first-hand about organic growing techniques
to enable town-dwellers to experience living and helping on a farm
to help farmers make organic production a viable alternative
to improve communications within the organic movement.
WWOOF organisations compile a list of organic Host farms that (from time to time) welcome volunteer help. When you become a member of a WWOOF organisation, you will be put in contact with these Host farms. It is then up to you to contact the Host farms that interest you and make your own arrangements with them.

Here is the web site to get all the dope info:

https://www.wwoof.org/

No matter what you do good luck