Page:
_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
eek

Bad news.

Tainted/Colleen, one of our Belfast fire dancers, wasn't feeling very well last night and was having trouble catching breath.

She went to the hospital today to be told she has a bloodclot on her right lung. Apparently, not very much air is getting through.

She's ok and is taking tablets (and doesn't have to stay in hospital), but it's most definitely not good.

This thread is for two reasons... firstly, to let you all know the lady isn't well so you can send your love and positive thoughts for her healing. hug

Secondly, to ask our resident doctor if he has any advice (or advice from anyone who has experienced something similar)?!! (Thanks in advance x)

Colleen smokes and plays with fire. She's also been travelling lots recently (and camping in the rain). The doctors seem to think it may be a combination of these factors.

Muh frown

Thanks everyone xx

Getting to the other side smile

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
hope the lady feels better soon.
hug hug hug hug

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
there are belfast fire dancers now (besides firepoise)?

hope she recovers quickly!

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

spritieSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,014 posts

Posted:
Traveling in planes for long periods of time (i.e. long periods without much movement) have been shown to cause blood clots so that's why the doctors may think they are related. I'm used to hearing about them in people's legs though.

Here's to a quick recovery for her.

BirdGOLD Member
now available in "advanced"
6,086 posts

Posted:
eek

Can you pass on some hugs for me please Clare?

My thoughts thoughts are on the way!

hug hug2 hug hug2

My state of mind is not yours to define!

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

BansheeCatBRONZE Member
veteran
1,247 posts

Posted:
Sorry to hear that ! Scary for your friend. My friend Sabrina had a blood clot on the lung last year, for no apparent reason they could find. She was in the hospital for a while, and medicated etc. The good news is she is fine now, and doing great. I will send good thoughts for Colleen!

"God *was* my co-pilot, but then we crashed, and I had to eat him..."

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
Big Love Colleen, get better soon smile

Spherculism ~:~ The Act of becoming Spherculish.

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
Claire hun tell colleen that I'm thinking of her and give her a gentle smooshie from me. Its good to know they have caught it and are sorting it all out. Is she on Wafrin (sp?)? If so she might want to take the acrobatics a bit easy for a while because it thins the blood and makes it easier for her to bleed.

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

Gayle......!SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,444 posts

Posted:
Colleen - have a huge acrobatic hug from me. Get Well Soon Sweetie.....

Gayle.....!

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
Hope all will be well, im sure it will hug my thoughts are with her

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

.:star:.SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,785 posts

Posted:
Colleen hug
Hope you get well soon hug

VixenSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,276 posts

Posted:
*Get Well Soon Kisses!!* xxx

tHeReS gOoD aNd EvIl iN EaCh InDiViDuAl fIrE, iDeNtIfIeS nEeDs AnD fEeDs OuR dEsIrEs.

taintedaddict
422 posts

Posted:
Just back from the hospital, and yip it is a clot.....Grrrrrrr and my birthdays on monday, typical ubblol but they gave me the choice of hospital or home and iv choosen home. Ive promised to take it easy and NO circus for a while eek there controlling it with tablets and injections.......im a human pin cushion at the min and i hate needles plus ,my veins are crap. But im gonna be grand thank you for your happy thoughts and keep them coming hug smile

There are no stupid questions, only stupid answers...

BirdGOLD Member
now available in "advanced"
6,086 posts

Posted:
hug hug

Hope you're better soon!

My state of mind is not yours to define!

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

margitaSILVER Member
.:*distracted by shiny things*:.
3,777 posts

Posted:
hiya! wave hug glad to hear you're doing better (well, out of hospital at least!! oh - & happity birfday!! biggrin

do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good to eat!

if at first you do succeed, try not to look too astonished!

smile! :grin: it confuses people!

greenlizard0BRONZE Member
22 posts

Posted:
Poor thing! (I don't really know you) but I hope you get better matey!

Non movement for long periods of time e.g. while travelling is a risk factors for deep venous thrombosis (clotting in the veins of the legs). A small piece can break off and due to the flow of blood around your body, go to the heart, and then possibly to the lungs where because the vessels are very narrow get stuck. I'm guessing you were on Warfarin or Heparin (and saline...I don't know your blood pressure)?

Re-read this thread and I didn't realise it was your birthday!! Happy birthday mate and all the best again!

Matty_BSILVER Member
veteran
1,314 posts

Posted:
hug hug hug
Hope you get better soon missy . ..

ohh and happy birthday too hug hug

pineapple peteSILVER Member
water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
happy birtday, get well soon hug kiss hug kiss

*snuggles*

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

*proud owner of the very cute fire_spinning_angel, birgit and neon shaolin*

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
Happy Birthday, Colleen! hug

So sorry to hear about this frown Am thinking about you, get well soon! I'll definitely come and see you, Claire and Diana in Belfast at some point, so you'll get more and real hugs then!!

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
eek

**feels bad for passing spliff earlier**

m8 - am real sorry to hear this, tiz not good..... i really hope you get better very very very very soon smile

hug hug hug hug

if my lung wasnt in the state it was - you could have it biggrin

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

taintedaddict
422 posts

Posted:
Never feel bad about passing a spliff. Im feeling sooo much better. although the pills taste yucky. I got the coolest pressie from my housemates....the Soft cell version of tainted love on record bounce smile

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
So sorry to hear about this.

What happened to Colleen is called Deep Vein Thrombosis, or DVT.

DVT is when a blood clot (a thrombus) forms in the deep veins of one of the legs. The clot breaks loose, travels up the vein, into the heart, and then into the lungs where it lodges in one of the pulmonary arteries, which makes it a Pulmonary Embolus (PE). Symptoms from a PE can range from nothing to shortness of breath to coughing up blood to dropping stone dead right there on the spot (no joke!).

Risk factors for DVT/PE include 1) long periods of immobility (i.e. sitting on an airplane for 8 hours without moving your legs) that cause stasis of the blood in the legs. 2) Smoking. 3) Birth control pills/shots/patch/etc combined with smoking (birth control alone doesn't seem to increase the risk significantly). 4) obesity. 5) pregnancy. 6) recent surgery (i.e. being bedridden).

DVT is treated by treating the patient with Heparin, an anti-clotting agent, which prevents the clot from spreading. The patient is then sent home on a drug called warfarin or coumadin (same drug) which is, astonishingly, one agent used in rat poison! It works by inhibiting the liver's ability to make clotting proteins for the blood. (All drugs are poisons; the dose determines the difference between a remedy and a poison.) Because this is difficult to dose at first, weekly blood tests are required to measure blood clotting function. Some patients may also be given injections to take at home of a drug called low-molecular weight heparin (LOVENOX, etc.). This therapy generally lasts 6 months. If the problem happens again, then warfarin therapy would be started permanently.

To reduce your risk of DVT:

1) Don't smoke.
1a) Stop smoking.
1b) Reallly, smoking's a big one here.
1c) If you smoke...quit.
1d) Um...did I mention you should stop smoking?
2) If you're on a plane (or train, or in a car, or whatever) for a long time, make sure that you get up and walk every few hours or do calf raises in your seat.
3) Talk to your doctor if anyone in your family has had this problem.
4) Lose weight if you need to.
5) Oh...stop smoking.

Feel better!

(and stop smoking! ubbrollsmile )

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
hug

Thanks Doc, I was hoping you'd post something like that biggrin

What about fire dancing, can she still do that? And if so, how long should she wait before lighting up again?

Getting to the other side smile

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
Hey guys, here's my 2 pennies about it...

my friend's husband died of a blood clot on the way back from their honeymoon - no joke frown they were only on the plane for a few hours, too, nothing like 8 or 12...

I've been told that if you fly, especially if you're in a risk group, taking an aspirin a day before is a bit of a precaution because that also reduces the ability of your blood to clot. (Please Doc or others correct me if that's wrong! Makes sense to me knowing how aspirin works, but it might be just a rumour!) Also, wearing supportive socks/stockings, even if it looks silly, can help.

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Mr ChutneySILVER Member
Tosser
1,712 posts

Posted:
How long do these clots take to announce themselves? i've got a throb in the back of my right calf muscle that wasn't there before I left the US and has recurred for the last few days- this thread has got me a little paranoid redface

taintedaddict
422 posts

Posted:
Ohh go get it checked out..just to put your mind at rest.
Thanks Doc yes i have stopped all forms of smoking (which was actully very easy confused i was expecting it to be harder) They have put me on tablets and i have to go get more tests and injections tomorrow.
hug

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
A few questions

What 'immediate' precautionary measures are best to take? Such as that Aspirin thing mentioned before?

What do those anti embolism stockings actually do? How do they prevent blood clots?

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
Colleen lovely - sending plenty of smiles and warm mental hugs your way hug2

I hope you are back to your beautiful bouncy self soon.

I know a lot of people who refuse to fly because of the health risks as well as the pollution - I may consider joining them.

See you soon? hugs - a loving fluffster xxx

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

Helz BellzSILVER Member
lovin' it...
2,444 posts

Posted:
Colleen - oh my god.... that's awful!!
Sending you a massive amount of healing vibes.
I hope you feel better soon honey hug

A girl I work with had several bloodclots on her lung last year. She's FINALLY got the all clear and is now off all the medication biggrin

I hope that you are back to full strength really REALLY soon.

Please take extra special care of yourself!

Love and hugs

hug hug hug

Live well, love much, laugh often...

Official O.B.E.S.E. cheerleader

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
here's the BUPA website on it for a bit more information for those who want it, including advice on flying:

https://hcd2.bupa.co.uk/fact_sheets/html/deep_vein_thrombosis.html

(G.W. Dahlquist)

MandSILVER Member
Keeper of the Spitfire
2,317 posts

Posted:
eek
Colleen, many hugs to you my lady. hug hug2 hug

I hope the doctors manage to get it all under control quickly, and you're able to get back into fire spinning once you're all fit and healthy again.

Congrats on quitting smoking- there's nothing like having an incentive, is there? tongue

Lets steal a spaceship and head for the sun, and shoot the stars with a lemonade ray gun.

Page: