entheogenGOLD Member
173 posts

Posted:
I want to purchase a fire-proof cloth to smother out props when they no longer need to be used in the number but are still burning.

I know a wet towel also does the job, but I thought a fire blanket for traveling purposes is more practical.

I'm not sure, but I think the fire blanket that HOP sells is one of those one time, emergency deals. Im wondering if anyone knows for sure if all the fiber glass based products of this kind are reusable or are made to be used once and then thrown away.

So far I've found one wool based fireproof blanket at
www.safety-depot.com

Its about a square meter and costs $120. Is there anyone out there with experience and advice on this matter? Or maybe an idea of where to get one cheaper?

'There are two mantras in life, yum and yuk. I choose yum.'

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
As far as I know, you can use a fire blanket over and over and over and over.

smile

marcoenthusiast
328 posts

Posted:
The problem your going to find with fabric / fibre based fire blankets is one of fuel take up, in essence the blanket eventually carries enough fuel to become combustable, while this usually is not a problem, sloppy usage of a fire blanket with residual fuel content has the potential to ignite, can't say I've had this problem myself, but I've seen it happen a few times.

Moving on, I routinely use the same fire blanket to teach fire safety, tool extinguishing etc, I tend to replace it several times yearly, when I'm unhappy about the amount of fuel take up. I pay around 19 GBP for marine rated fire blankets, kitemarked etc.

I should add, I have two, one gets used on tools, and other fire safety aspects, and the other is unused, should that incident involving a performer ever happen. They get rotated, the one used on tools gets disposed of, and the replacement becomes the one to used on peeps.

mark
EDITED_BY: marco (1123766833)

marcoenthusiast
328 posts

Posted:

Yep, appears to be the same type I use.

mark

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
you can get fire blankets at diy shops, try Obi or Hornbach smile 120 $ seems quite expensive.

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half