Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > Sick butterfly | newbie warning

Login/Join to Participate

Feuerkindnewbie
6 posts

Posted:
My butterfly is sick, I think...

What I am trying to do is to just to flip it once behind my head and then go back to spinning in front of me again. Backwards, sort of. It works brilliantly in the normal direction, and I can do it with one hand and alternating with left and right hand overhead. But when I do it backwards, the damned things just decide to turn on me, and I start spinning the "normal way" when I get in front again.

I think the little dwarf inside my head is trying to lull me into the belief that this might come in handy - far more so than the normal way of doing things, so that I cannot seem to be able to learn it properly.

Any suggestions? (And excuse my blatant ignorance when it comes to the Correct Terminology. It's all rather new to me smile )

... doch kein Feuer, blended weiß
taute je in mir das Eis...

.:star:.SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,785 posts

Posted:
I'm sure there is lots of info out there about this if you use the search function

heres a useful thread
[Old link]

You should always try and search HoP before posting a new thread because, that means that all the info is kept in a few useful threads rather than there being lots of little repeat threads with snipets of info in.

To sum it up, if you left hand is above you right infront of you then it should be other way round behind you. The easiest way is to put one had on top of each other and keep them touching as you put them over your head. Hope that makes sense

Feuerkindnewbie
6 posts

Posted:
I should've mentioned; I did try to search, but the amount of hits on "backward* butterfly" was a bit discouraging.

Written by: .:star:.

To sum it up, if you left hand is above you right infront of you then it should be other way round behind you. The easiest way is to put one had on top of each other and keep them touching as you put them over your head. Hope that makes sense

Cheers for answering! The thing is, I do get them over and back again, no problem, it's just that when I do it backwards, I manage to turn the pois so they spin the other way around when they are in front of me. That sort of puts me into a pain when I try to do it single handedly... Well, I guess practice makes perfect, but this has been annoying me for a couple of days confused
EDITED_BY: Feuerkind (1121102538)

... doch kein Feuer, blended weiß
taute je in mir das Eis...

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
Try doing as little as possible to your poi. The momentum they have should keep them spinning correctly as you move your hands behind your head and back, as long as you move your hands properly you shouldn't need to do anything else. Sounds like you're trying to spin the poi behind your head which is changing their path...

"Moo," said the happy cow.

tadpoleGOLD Member
enthusiast
200 posts

Posted:
Also try making sure your palms are facing the sky as your hands pass over your head.

Don't worry, be happy...