Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > Box, Atomic, and Buzzsaw Weave!?

Login/Join to Participate

DissidentGOLD Member
2 posts

Posted:
"I searched! I swear!"
I realize it's a big undertaking, but, I'd LOVE a bit of a rundown on these three weave variations. I've learned butterfly weave and various beat variations on the straight-up weave (rev 3bt, windmill, fountain, btb rev 3bt, 5bt, rev 5bt, etc.), but still...

-I have no idea what Box weave looks like or how it runs. How does it work?
-I have no idea what Buzzsaw weave looks like or how it runs (though I know Buzzsaw). How does it work?
-I think I grasp the concept of Atomic weave, maybe, but everytime I attempt it I just revert to Butterfly weave. How do the two of them differ?

Thanks!

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
I dont know how you managed to do a search and not find anything cuz theres plenty of threads on all those topics. Theres a video of the buzzsaw weave in "ICoN's Video Archive" in the videos forum. The rest should be easily findable in this moves forum.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
box weave article on poiinthepark.net smile

[Old link] - the first post by arashi is the one you need to read and understand (icon's video will help muchly too).

i don't know how to do an atomic weave yet.

but i will by wednesday biggrin

cole. x

p.s. diggin the sig icon biggrin

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
If you can do a buzzsaw weave you can do an atomic weave - they're the same thing pretty much!

"Moo," said the happy cow.

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
my atomic weave is like a butterfly weave with perpendicular planes.. the inverted atomic weave comes out a lot like inversions.. 'cept you have to do a oppostie and same direction inversion to get them around.. but I think everyones view on that is a bit hazy with all the ways atoms fit together..

More useless information courtesy of Rev...
Confusing the masses, one post at a time...
"Obviously, you're not a golfer.."- The Dude
"Buy the ticket... Take the ride..." -Raoul Duke
"FEMA has never done catastrophe planning..."-Michael Brown

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
can do turning atomic weaves, and they arnt butterfly weaves or buzzsaw weaves, they are weaves with two planes, and they are hard as hell.

T (running off to stick burning torches down his trousers)

eek

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
they can be done either//because you are going from a opposite direction atom to opposite direction atom or same direction atom to same direction atom..

whihcmeans.. its easy to invert either... and they twist just like their butterfly and weave brethren.. they are just turned at a funny angle..

I havent played with atoms as much as I probably should have by now.. but I find that to invert the atom weave ( and not just parts of the atom weave).. you have to do both a same and opposite direction inversion.. but I think that also depends on how you getting between you points..

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
Ive not even thought of inversions yet, just happy to have an atom weave with reasonably good planes. its a lot like beggining all over again.

biggrin

T wave

-><- Kallisti

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:

Box = Inverted inside
Atom = Inclined perpendicular planes
Buzzsaw = Space between your arm wheel plane as well as
middle plane between wheel planes.

POI THEO(R)IST

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
Surely a box is like an atom, but the planes cross at the outer edge of the poi's path rather than at the centre of rotation? I.e they form an L shape rather than a +

"Moo," said the happy cow.

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
yes spiral.. a box is like an atom in that respect.. but doesnt that make them work different.. like reels vs weaves.. I mean with the atom (like with the weave or ttn) you get a twisting around the same center.. boxes on the other hand by having edges together are more distinctly seperate planes.. in that they have no common anything.. and so they spin like 90 reels..

DissidentGOLD Member
2 posts

Posted:
Unfortunately, I'm not in a position to download and use a DivX player at the moment, ICoN, but as soon as I can, I'll see if that video will help. Also, Arashi's initial post on buzzsaw weave is a bit over my head as far as visualization goes (and the thread is LONG, so I need to sift through it), but I'll sit down with that. Is that post even about buzzsaw weave? It's unclear, as the words 'buzzsaw weave' aren't really used. Should I be looking for a post deeper in that I'm missing? I really can't visualize what the post is talking about.

As for the box weave article on Poiinthepark, I understand it to say your right hand should begin in a fowards spin at your right wheel plane, and your left hand should start spinning clockwise (from the point of view of the spinner) in forward wall plane. At that point, the article says to cross your right poi over your left shoulder and then under that shoulder... Does that mean the poi should go into left wheel plane or back wall plane? It's unclear. And if it is wheel plane, are there any tricks to keep it from tangling with your left hand poi, or is that all timing?

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
yeah, that artical is a bit out of date, its more than a year old.

boxes are easier to start with cos the planes dont clash as they arnt touching.

so, new improved artical

Written by:

boxes and atoms, breaking it down (again)

ok, you got the first bit right have one poi wall plane and one side plane. The object of the game is to move the poi around and still keep them in thier seperate planes. no poi should ever change its plane to meet the other, not like never, but for this game never.

The hard thing is that as you turn with say a weave the plane wich was side plane becomes wall when you turn your body 90 degrees.

but we will come to mecanics in a bit .

timimgs and directions.

say your left poi is at your side spinning forwards, and the right poi is infront of you wallplane and spinning anticlock. in paralell time from your point of view you get a butterfly. however, if you were to change the plane of just one poi they would now be spinning same direction rather than butterfly. I wish i had a diagram for this. but try it.

this means that to go to atom weave, your "open" position (hand uncrossed in front of you) should be in split time butterfly, so that when you change the plane by crossing your hands your now in follow time weave. ubblol

the way this actually works is that at any one time one hand is going wall and the other side plane. so weave:

Start: split time forwards butterfly atom left hand wall plane right hand side plane. "open" position.

take right hand over left, this is easier if you cross further up your left arm.

as in the normal weave the right hand circles downwards under the left armpit. the left poi however is wall plane and you have to concentrate hard to make it do a nice wall plane circle around the side plane poi.

so with the right poi swing ing under your left arm "side plane" amd the left poi coming over the right "wall plane" turn you body 90 degrees to the right.

now the left poi, which was wall plane is now !side plane! and goes over your right shoulder and then circles down as with the other side as the right poi does a nice wall plane circle.

remeber, the planes dont change, only the poisions relative to your body.

theres loads more to this stuff, but thats gonna have to wait for another day.

even though i wrote that artical more than a year ago, im only now getting to turn thease things, as they are such a concious effort to break what you know from years of doing the weave.

de plane de plane!

T

-><- Kallisti