Page:
Raphael96SILVER Member
old hand
899 posts

Posted:
From what little I have seen of spinners, there seems to be a tendency among many of the males simply to spin as fast as they can with few changes in tempo.

I don't say that everybody does this, I am just curious as to why that seems to be the case.

Any ideas?

Raphael

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
if you twirl fire anywhere outside a chimpanzee enclosure, the men twirl hairier.

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

Paddyback from the dead...sort of
884 posts

Posted:
I spin pretty fast, but I think it's beacuse while I was learning I just like the extra force on my hands to feel a bit more secure. slow down and it becomes floaty and tricky, not good when ure learning.

plus I learned with glowsticks. you just *have* to go fast with those. I didn't even know my style would have been considered especially fast until I met other spinners.

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Kato spins real slow. But he can control time so he does count.

My Napalm Fairy keeps telling me to slow down. It just seems to happen. They get quicker. I blame my poi.

Conversely I don't seem to be able to spin staffs quickly. And people seem to rate spinning staffs fastish quite highly. Which is a pain.

Meh

FireMikeZLaguna dude
1,438 posts

Posted:
yeah, but got all kinds.

& the best males go for art, grace, timing, surprise, not just early raw speed.

molten cheers,

~ FireMike

FireMikeZ@yahoo.com (personal messages welcome, no promo spam, please!)
Laguna, California, US

FireMikeZLaguna dude
1,438 posts

Posted:
yeah, prolly a lot of males find this a familiar kind of power to express, early on.

but got all kinds.

& the best males go for art, grace, timing, surprise, not just early raw speed.

molten cheers,

~ FireMike

FireMikeZ@yahoo.com (personal messages welcome, no promo spam, please!)
Laguna, California, US

Raphael96SILVER Member
old hand
899 posts

Posted:
I guess I just find the one tempo speed demon style to be fairly uninteresting.

The change in tempo, as in belly-dancing, catches the eye and is just more pleasing.

Now I just have to learn to do that.

Raph

Raymund Phule (Fireproof)Enter a "Title" here:
2,905 posts

Posted:
I do alot of tempo changes, sometimes slow looks better than fast.

Some Jarhead last night: "this dumb a$$ thinks hes fireproof"

CulumeonBRONZE Member
9 posts

Posted:
My spin velocity usually varies with my mood. I usually find it more pleasing to spin slow though, preferably slower than is possible due to physical laws unfortunately

However, speed variations can give just as much effect as any advanced move can.
Escpecially when spinning to music, where a sudden speed increase at each beat should produce a rather nice effect (Haven´t tried with music yet though)

Just my thoughts
David

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
If i could learn that isolation stuff that everyone was doing whilst we were in Paris then maybe I could slow down a bit with that.

Meh

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Speed is very different between staffs and poi.

From what I can tell it SEEMS to be easier to get up to a high velocity with poi doing a basic weave.

Whereas with staff, the extra speed takes a lot more effort and control.

As for everyone trying to do it fast, doesn't it just hurt harder when they hit you in the &^%#????

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Raphael96SILVER Member
old hand
899 posts

Posted:
Maybe its the techno......not too many tempo changes with that stuff.

(then again, I'm not really a fan of techno, so I'm likely to be quick to blame it..)

Raph

Paddyback from the dead...sort of
884 posts

Posted:
word.
I blame Xerox.

BurningByronmember
340 posts

Posted:
I can spin staff insanely fast and have split open my face leaving a 3 inch gash on one occasion and have knocked myself out on another, (which isnt hard since my staff is 5 and half feet long with a 9 inch wick on each end), but I feel variation, adaption and spontaneity are very important to good spinning.

Speed is fun, I really do love it and its given me really toned shoulders, back and arms. Its an awesome adrenalin rush to be spinning so fast you just have to flow with it and not think otherwise you will most likely king hit yourself something cronic. As a result though I think I might have fractured my left wrist about a week ago, it really does hurt a fair bit, I should go get an xray. Grrr doctors....

HOW TO FLY 101:
step 1. Throw your self at the ground.
step 2. Miss.

Jelloambiguous
646 posts

Posted:
Maybe it's because women can look all sexy like doing poi, they don't need speed. When men do poi, people are like, whatever, lets watch that sexier yet slower lady do poi. So the guys are like, hey, look at me, I'm going insanely fast and if you watch for long enough I'm bound to mess up and hurt myself, so it'll be just as entertaining as watching that sexy lady. Plus, I'll probably mess up real soon so you can go back to watching the sexy lady doing slow poi.

so yeah, thats probably it.

FlyntSILVER Member
Intrepid Penguin
5,635 posts

Posted:
orrrrrrr it could be just that males tend to concentrate more on the technical aspect, whereas females concentrate on the artistry??

but i couldnt say, cos im a girl

Sparx doesnt move around much at all, we got the Col videos the other day, and his first comment after watching was : 'i need to move more'

EDIT: i should add, the only reason i move around alot, is because i have shocking balance, and if i didnt move, id' fall flat on my face...

[ 30 September 2002, 17:14: Message edited by: Flynt ]

Currently on the right side up of the world.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
im suprised dom hasnt posted here yet...i love hi style....hew goes really slowly and i think it looks better

I too like to spin slowly as it shows you have greater control ever them. and it looks better too.

(andrew)member
140 posts

Posted:
yeah,
flynt is right-i do need to move more.

(on col3) i really liked the way fire shaman just spun around and moved about. behind the back buzz saw was good too...... so i'm trying to do that more, i really am getting into slowing down, cause your all right, swinging them slower and slower really shows off your technique and poi control. thats my two cents...

The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all thebad girls live.

Kurobeimember
786 posts

Posted:
ROFL @ Jello - yeah, ur prolly right!!!

Flynt and Sparx also got good points, moving around makes thigs look much different, one of my mates moves sooooo much with his Poi and he looks truly amazing, sometimes I think he's concentrating more on his dancing movements than his spinning!!!

Dancing is what makes the spinning an art.

whats up with all the limitations?

SmallBoy - xCarpal \'Tunnel
2,737 posts

Posted:
Yeah, currently trying to plaguerise Dom stylee poi stuff.....he rocks.

Slow always looks better, but then I'm biased....tempo changes are good to mix it up but then nothing beats Big fuck-off scary poi, and they tend to go slower coz they're heavy - lol

Small Lardy Person In Disguise

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
I spin slow cos I'm scared.

Cantus spins faster cos he's not.

My fluffy poi are mildly heavier than I'd usually use so they go slow. I can bend more around them the slowere the movements and get them more precise as well as looking slinky

With Staff I spin much faster - just cos.

Lots of guys spin with glowsticks - which is much faster as they're lighter.

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

tennisBRONZE Member
confused and abused
363 posts

Posted:
I think i've found a great solution to this and although i know it's been done before i did it for the first time properly last night!
Put four wicks on some really long chains ,two on each (1.2 metres) but put one wick half way down so the outside ones are moving twice as fast as the other but also twice the distance (didnt mean to patronise there sorry) this kinda has the best of both worlds graceful HUGE circles and arcs but also small fast intense ones too. And they look fuckin' bootylicious.

These are great fun and i would love to see them done with coloured flames (Anyone?)

too some extent i think it's just nature that men seem to spin fast and i like the contrast between male and female styles they avoid every one looking the same.

x tennis x

Do you really need magnum size?

My cat's breath smells like catfood

Bram....member
1,551 posts

Posted:
My dear Flynt, are you calling me a girl??? I think the reason why guys go so fast is the whole testosterone effect. YOu just have to be better than everyone else... but really people do get bored of watching you faster, at first it is all ooo awww at how you can control this speed balls... then they walk away. Where as if you do variation people will watch longer, leave and then come back again to watch you, because of all the grace and whatchamacallit

You. Its whats for dinner!

As time passes, you realise all the mistakes you amde and the ones you wish you never did make.

The wave crashing on the beach

Jelloambiguous
646 posts

Posted:
tennis - I do that with my stobing leds, and yes, it looks darn nifty. It'd be cool to do with fire, but I'm taking things one step at a time. I'll stick with my simple 2 cathedral whicks for now.

ZaphodBRONZE Member
23 posts

Posted:
Hmmmm.....I tend to think spinning with speed and good technique and control is the most impressive. I don't spin insanely fast or anything, I've been trying to work on transitional smoothness at the moment. I need to just be able to transition slowly and smoothly, then I'll build up my speed.

But sometimes its just so much fun going to town really fast, at the smae time not just doing the same thing over, and over.

As for tempo change.....I used to a lot. But I think a more solid routine invovles keeping a very well balanced tempo within your style.

I think males do tend to focus more on the technical aspect rather than the artistry, something I need to be more considerate of, thank you Flynt.

But that's my opinion, and that of a male!

DON'T PANIC

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
I can't do any technical stuff. I can't actually do very much with poi. I think they're broken.

Bram Flynt may not be calling you a girl but I am. You're a big girlie raven

Actually, in light of recent stroppiness on the boards and people taking offence where it's not needed, I retract that and instead call you a flamingo.

Hey Sparx, how you doing? Thought you weren't visiting these days.

Charles you would say that. You spin staffs like a maniac - by all accounts. And are you saying that I lack effort and control? Well in that case you you lack height and youth.

But then there's a lot of that about.

Meh

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Although Raph does have a point. If you practice listening to fast music then the tempo will effect how you spin. Maybe that will seap into your subconscious and come out every time you spin else where.

Just a thought.

Meh

Celestemember
48 posts

Posted:
Well, the few guys who spin around here with me occasionally all vary their speed while spinning. But here is something kind of similar, everytime I do a show I have found that the best crowd reaction is when I do very simple moves really really really fast. (Which I don't understand, because then the fire gets very small.) Has anyone else noticed this?

Life is serious, but art is fun!

ZaphodBRONZE Member
23 posts

Posted:
Yeah the flames do tend to get small spinning fast. Solution: bigger wicks! The first and only poi I have, consist of 5ft cathedral wicks, and the flames are nice. I took a while to get used to the weight, and now I realize that a lot of my props are extremly exaggerated. But hey what can I say, big flames are sweet.

I agree C@ntus listening to fast music will affect your speed undoubtably. Imbedding it into the subconscious.

I haven't been practicing to music much, for some stupid reason. I don't have a portable stereo I suppose. Now I'm wondering whats wrong with me. How can I not spin to music!?! Duh.

DON'T PANIC

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Funny, I'm one of the very few spinners in NYC who does spin fast. Most New Yorkers that I hang with spin long chains and huge wicks, so I thought I'd be different and spin short, fast. Little did I know I'd be just stepping into a global stereotype.

The sad thing (and I've said this about a bazillion times) is how much props I get for it.

Again, this weekend, I spun in front of a crowd and did some technical stuff. And what did they hoot and hollar for? The fast weave. Every damn time. It makes me so sad.

"Just do the weave fast" -Me

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Raphael96SILVER Member
old hand
899 posts

Posted:
wow, so we really *can* blame techno!

Raph

Page: