Page:
.:star:.SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,785 posts

Posted:
Ok firstly....I have done a search, i know there are other meaning of life threads but this one asks a specific question for people to answer so i thought that it deserved a thread of its own biggrin

I've been doing my psychology work all afternoon and this exercise I have found really interesting and somewhat difficult!

firstly a little extract from my textbook

The Austrian therapist Viktor Frankl (1905-1997) who emphasized our need for meaning

Frankl distinguishes four ways in which personal meaning may be sought. One way is through actions, in particular creative activity. By building a machine, creating a garden, a poem or a painting we give value and meaning to our life. A second way is through experience - of beauty, nature or music, for example. A third way is through love, 'encountering another unique being in the very uniqueness of this human being' (Frankl, 1959, p.69). Finally, in situations of inescapable difficulty, we may find meaning through fortitude. For example, Frankl himself spent several years incarcerated in Auschwitz and Dachau. He found that one way in which some prisoners were able to give meaning to their lives, even in these awful circumstances, was by the strength of spirit with which they bore their suffering.

List three ways in which meaning is given to your life. One way of distinguishing these is to think of aspects of your life (such as a relationship or activity) which, if they were no longer possible, would significantly detract from the meaning which life has for you. Do these come within one or other of the categories which Frankl suggests? Are there other categories you would want to add (e.g. spiritual meaning, religious belief, having children)?

NoddyToe Poking Bad Boy
2,865 posts

Posted:
42!!

my explanation for this is that your life is planned up to 18 then you are retired at 60 and the 42 years inbetween is what you have to do with what ever you want biggrin

Remember.........YOU LOSE!!!

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
Achievements. Intelligence (I couldn't live without my 130 IQ) ubbangel Hope.

After much consideration, I find that the view is worth the asphyxiation.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

yoniGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,099 posts

Posted:
i feel every one has their own mission in life that they give them selves butsome people aren't very imaginative or clever.
also reproducing ubblove

UCOF "evolution: Poi -> stick -> hoops -> devil stick -> juggling club -> juggling ball -> crayons."

Supergroovalsticprosifunkstication
In other words, it's the thumps bump

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
Horses, close relationships (which are lacking a little), and ... I'm not actually sure, then. There are a lot of things I enjoy, many of which I'm saddened when I can't do.... things I strive for, love, get depressed over the lack of, whatever, but on an individual basis, I'm not sure anything else actually makes life meaningless. But without sound relationships and the ability to work with horses reguarly, my life loses meaning quickly and frequently.

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

Pooh-Bah
1,785 posts

Posted:
I've been thinking about this all day and i think i've narrowed it down to three

Love - Family, Friends and Partner. Loving them and them loving me

Creative expression - drawing, painting, sewing, dancing, poi

The bad times - without knowing loneliness, heartbreak, sorrow, grief, and suffering (to name a few) we can never appreciated the good things that we have. The bad times and how we get through them are what make us what we are

yoniGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,099 posts

Posted:
oh yeah love . just people you love things you love and love in general if nothing else gives your life meaning and gives you something to live for

UCOF "evolution: Poi -> stick -> hoops -> devil stick -> juggling club -> juggling ball -> crayons."

Supergroovalsticprosifunkstication
In other words, it's the thumps bump

Cyrusnewbie
9 posts

Posted:
Fire
everything starts, burns, and leaves something in its wake

Though I could use many large words to describe our predicament, all I can say is... "We're screwed."

Groovy_DreamSILVER Member
addict
449 posts

Posted:
Music
Nature
Fire

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
Written by: :star:

Re: The meaning of life

Ok firstly....I have done a search

ubblol ubblol ubblol

seriously, i reckon "the meaning of life" is a totally nonsensical term
like "the square root of a mongoose"

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

roarfireSILVER Member
comfortably numb
2,676 posts

Posted:
The meaning of life is love smile

.All things are beautiful if we take the time to look.

Sir Nuggit....is a liability
899 posts

Posted:
Written by: simian

ubblol ubblol ubblol

seriously, i reckon "the meaning of life" is a totally nonsensical term
like "the square root of a mongoose"

52?

For me, the meaning of life is to live it.

Pull my pin out, roll me in to a room and see what happens ubbloco

Pooh-Bah
1,785 posts

Posted:
and i thought you were going to say crumpets!

Sir Nuggit....is a liability
899 posts

Posted:
ubblol I thought about it but then I remembered, what use are crumpets if you can't eat them?? (ergo you need to live life to eat crumpets smile )

The meaning of life is to live it and to eat crumpets is to live life.

Pull my pin out, roll me in to a room and see what happens ubbloco

TreeTopzSILVER Member
12 posts

Posted:
but roarfire, the meaning of life as a whole cannot be love. we see various species of animals that show no signs of love. what is there purpose? perhaps it would be better to say 'the meaning of human life is love'?

and the square root of a mongoose IS 42...do the maths.

No Burning, No Learning

poigmarmite and nutella sandwich
1,590 posts

Posted:
I think life consists of fun. That consists of fire and extreme danger!

THE hop Pyro.
(with parents)
Unowned

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
humans think they're too good, and that they can possibly know the anwsers to such outlandish questions. *nods*

in response to the original post, i dont really think i have any of those three.

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
my meaning of life is to be free, have freedom of choice to party in a field or abandoned warehouse.

not bow down to the rat race cos there is no f**kin prize. enjoy life and all that it offers and keep and open mind

buggleberry_fairySILVER Member
172 posts

Posted:
my three meanings of life would be:

learning - acheiving, finding out what life is really about and things like how the world works and why

faith - is a massive part of my life, and without it i'd feel like there isn't much meaning to it, also basic belief and having your own opinion is important, as otherwise we'd just be the same as everyone else without any individuality and uniqueness.

people - without people, theres no interaction, personality or friends and family, and you can't build a community or share memories

and i totally agree with what frankl says

"Be the change you want to see in the world"

Patriarch917SILVER Member
I make my own people.
607 posts

Posted:
The Westminster Shorter Catechism:

Q: "What is the chief and highest end of man?"

A: "Man’s chief and highest end is to glorify God, and fully to enjoy Him for ever."

This sounds like two things that give meaning to life, but it's really only one. Fully enjoying God is a way to glorify him.

By the way, another acceptable answer to the question "What is the chief and highest end of man?" is "His head."

TinklePantsGOLD Member
Clique Infiltrator, Cunning Linguist and Master Debator
4,219 posts

Posted:
I know the [censored] answer to this!!!!!!!!!!! ubbrollsmile

Do we make our own fate, or is it predetermined for us and we just choose the different paths to its end?

If fate, on the whole, was predetermined, then what would be the meaning of life? Making these choices with conscious effort or not, takes us on different pathways of self-discovery. We learn from mistakes and gain knowledge from them. Thus we gain wisdom out of our life experiences. And what would be the point in that? well to pass on our knowledge to others so we as human beings can evolve into higher life forms.

written by myself - Taken from [Old link]

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

dreamSILVER Member
currently mending
493 posts

Posted:
The Meaning of Life is a great film

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Nietzsche

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
I think the meaning of life is the realisation that we are already in heaven and not to wait a lifetime for it.

Loving and being loved.

Smiling

Spherculism ~:~ The Act of becoming Spherculish.

Dangerousmind66Member
90 posts

Posted:
Ever consider that life has no meaning but to be lived?

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
4,696 posts

Posted:
the meaning of life is to find one.

FoxInDocsSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,848 posts

Posted:
 Written by: TreeTopz

and the square root of a mongoose IS 42...do the maths.

So you're saying the ultimate question to the ultimate answer to life, the universe, and everything is "What is the square root of a mongoose?"

*dies laughing*

but back to the topic at hand.

someone up there ^ mentioned achievement. I think that's a big part of the meaning of my life. I've spent alot of my life being very depressed, and it's usually as a result of failing to achieve a goal i'd set for myself.

Love is definately another big one. during above mentioned times of depression the love i have for and have recieved from my close friends has been the only thing that's kept me here. I have an amazingly close group of friends who're all closer to each other even than our own families (and my family isn't exactly distant) and i can't express how grateful i am to have them... ubblove

"i am exotic, and must keep my arms down" - Rougie

"i don't understand what penises have to do with getting married" - Foxie

buggleberry_fairySILVER Member
172 posts

Posted:
totally agree with the wibbler about the heaven thing

"Be the change you want to see in the world"

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
There is no meaning to life.

It's a story we make up to feed our ego's.

angelblue

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
4,696 posts

Posted:
 Written by: mjk

humans think they're too good, and that they can possibly know the anwsers to such outlandish questions. *nods*

Written by: stone

exactly.

dreamSILVER Member
currently mending
493 posts

Posted:
 Written by: stone

there are an almost infinite number of meanings to life. the problem arises when certain humans attempt to reduce this multiplicity to a single totalitized meaning of life. We go from many meaningful fragments which each individual/creature will evaluate in different ways based upon their unique and polyphonic subjectivity to 'the meaning' - outside of which is nothing

hence why i like star's question to give three of the things that you consider to give meaning to life... and hate the title of the thread.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Nietzsche

wonderloeyenthusiast
255 posts

Posted:
You make your own meaning.

What gives my life meaning is meeting people, listening to them, and if I possibly can, give them some kind of help on the way.

I love watching my friends change and grow. That's what gives me meaning. If I also change and grow as a result, that's even better.

"You've gone from Loey the Wonder Lesbian to everyone wondering if you are a lesbian." - Shadowman

Yesterday is yesterday. If we try to recapture it, we will only lose tomorrow.

Page: