Page:
LavatwilightGOLD Member
old hand
834 posts

Posted:
humm, so tennis grips lose their grip after a while, damned things......

so today i covered my grips with silicon sealent, and now.......mmm they are lovley, nice and bouncy, but in a controlled way, and for contact i like
apart from the silicon does peal unless you massagre it in wiht your fingers.

any other suggestions?

(i dont want to buy more gips that i will have to replace really soon.)

Drawings by chalk minds, strech between the stars

Kyle Mclean-
Contact without dance is like sex without wiggling.
A) it does feel as good
B) it does not look as good on film

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
there are these wierd see through rubber balls full of water, some have rubber spikes on the outside, some have glitter in them.

They cost about a pound each maximum.

Cut them open and cut out a rectangle from the empty rubber shell and stick that on your staff as the grip. Nobbley bits out is best.

and did you mean gimps or grips?

spank

Firewuffmember
26 posts

Posted:
I've used Electrical Tape on the first few staves I made, its visable, cheep and reasonable good. Esp if you double wrap it exactly the same way you do with a tennis racket grip, the edges overlapping by about 30% and go down and back up the grip creating a crisscross ridge grip. I only needed to replace it once in 18 months at a cost of about 50 cents. I also wrapped it half and half in white and yellow so the balance point was marked and the contrast improves visability.

For wood staves you can use rope (3mm cotton) wrapped grip. It streaches slightly over time and need to be re-wrapped / tightened occasionally and I usually fix the ends with a small (1d) nail at the end and wrap over the tail to keep it tight. No sticky problems at all and adds a slight padding which makes it less painful to catch wood staves on the back of your hand. I don't think that it would work for a Steel/metal stave as the rope slips and is hard to affix properly (anyone has any ideas..) It also adds about 5mm or so to the diameter which may be a good or bad thing.

I don't like most comercial rubber grips as they are "Excitingly curved" making the staff more uneven, hence making my own from day 1.

"The company of those that seek the truth is
always preferable to those who think they have
found it"

Terry Pratchet
Monsterous Regiment

GherkinGOLD Member
Inventor
117 posts

Posted:
I use hockey stick grip on my doubles. Gray's Traction Grip. It is a little bumpy, but it feels really nice, grips well and is quite durable. I wouldn't recomend it for contact staves though...

IfritBRONZE Member
The GF of HoP
492 posts

Posted:
I wouldnt have thought that tape would be any kind of compotition to tennis grip though would it?

Im used to the feel as that what i use of my devil stick but when trying contact with my devil stick (theres no harm in trying if you kno it will lead nowhere) and it doesnt cause any friction on material atall rather the opposite infact.

fire leads to creation

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
I *really* have a strong objection to electrical tape for grips. I personally think its not grippy enough, and will just end up hurting your hands.

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
ah the search for the perfect grip. its like the search for the holy grail

Love is the law.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
which was going to be found in Harrods originally...

smile

LavatwilightGOLD Member
old hand
834 posts

Posted:
well an update, the grip, i now have is the most perfect i have tried biggrin
so to do, cover your grip in about 2-3mm of silicon sealent, leave to dry over night, so it dosent come off in little chunks on your neck and hands.......and then all is good

Kyle Mclean-
A) it does feel as good

yoniGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,099 posts

Posted:
do you use different grip for contact

UCOF "evolution: Poi -> stick -> hoops -> devil stick -> juggling club -> juggling ball -> crayons."

Supergroovalsticprosifunkstication
In other words, it's the thumps bump

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
Written by: Firewuff

I've used Electrical Tape on the first few staves I made, its visable, cheep and reasonable good.

The big problem I have with electrical tape is that when you get fuel on it it tends to start to dissolve and get all gooey like. Personally I can't stand it.

If you're going to go with the tape solution I'd reccomend going with a cloth tape.

Also any grip that has any natural latex rubber in it is going to get eaten alive by pretty much any fuel you use. Any fuel/solvent/lubriacant that has anything resembling petrolium in it will eat rubber alive.

Petrolim breaks down the molecular bond that gives rubber it's strength and elasticity. This is the reason you see the warning on condom packets telling you not to use water based instead of petrolium based lubricants. The rubber will just swell and become fragile and brittle. Kerosine and white gas will tend to do this.

Just something to bear in mind.

Cheers

Jesus helps me trick people.

LavatwilightGOLD Member
old hand
834 posts

Posted:
I dont use a diffrent grip....,
i have just been expermanting

Kyle Mclean-
A) it does feel as good

yoniGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,099 posts

Posted:
i just bought some stuff called tiller tape which is for boat tillers. it's like a strip of towel with a self adhesive back and has worked fine so far. it costs about £1 for a roll and for a long staff you'll need about 2 or 3. you shold be able to get some from a chandlery or something. juggle

UCOF "evolution: Poi -> stick -> hoops -> devil stick -> juggling club -> juggling ball -> crayons."

LavatwilightGOLD Member
old hand
834 posts

Posted:
Cheers max smile i might well give it a go with my next stick, for the current one tho, cover it in PVA and then silicon biggrin

Kyle Mclean-
A) it does feel as good

doctor_fandangoGOLD Member
co-director of A.C.B.I.S.H.A.
761 posts
Location: in the corner beside the filing cabinets, 2nd floo...

Posted:
i think the most effective grip is bike tube. gaffa tape one end, wrap tightly and then tape the other end. it doesnt have the same bumpy feel as rope, and it doesnt flake & wear down like racket grip. you have to keep a pump nearby though. accidents will happen hehe

There's no place like 127.0.0.1, There's no place like 127.0.0.1, There's no place like 127.0.0.1,

"in most of our friends we're the hippies. but we have hippie friends of our own.. its like a dog having its own pet" - H. Sinoquet 19-03-2005

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
ubblol

Bike innertube is indeed a wise choise..

smile

doctor_fandangoGOLD Member
co-director of A.C.B.I.S.H.A.
761 posts
Location: in the corner beside the filing cabinets, 2nd floo...

Posted:
its cheaop too, if you pop into your local bike shop you can get a fistfull of burst tubes for nothing if you smile nice

There's no place like 127.0.0.1, There's no place like 127.0.0.1, There's no place like 127.0.0.1,

"in most of our friends we're the hippies. but we have hippie friends of our own.. its like a dog having its own pet" - H. Sinoquet 19-03-2005

yoniGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,099 posts

Posted:
i just got some inner tube but cos i was puuting some on my practice staff it was just the right size to pull over the staff and still be tight hug meditate hug

yoniGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,099 posts

Posted:
i just got some silicone for my doubles but as some of u will know cos they as yet have no innercore they get incredibly hot and i was wondering if i will need to give them innercores before i light them or will the silicon withstand the temperature?

[noodles]*Property of Pigeon Wigeon*
893 posts

Posted:
Dude get a core in those badboys. They heated up stupendously at Play.

Could somebody stop the room please... I'd like to get off

LavatwilightGOLD Member
old hand
834 posts

Posted:
Si does hot good, but core your sticks max.

on a note, i have half decided to abandon Si grips
not because they embody "the constant feeling of sweat" - mcp
but because they fall off :-(
ah well

unless anyone knows a site that i can get spray on latex from???
im back to tennis grips smile

Kyle Mclean-
A) it does feel as good

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
I use raquetball tape over electrical tape, which is wonderful, but it does some apart eventually... a friend of mine had some bouncy grips made of foam, but I havn't a clue even now where he got them....

the electrical tape is to take the heat off the rubber, i'm very temperature sensitive. good electrical tape i've not ever had a problem with it coming off btw, but the raquetball tape needs to be redone every now and again much as it would on your raquet....

i like it much better than tennis grips tho! but just imo. its different.

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

yoniGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,099 posts

Posted:
yeah i managed to get some cores in not full length but they did the job, tho after using them i am thinking of trying to find something that embodies the feeling of sewat less cos they really do and it is pretty horrible and i keep spinning by grass which instantly gets em wet

Matty_BSILVER Member
veteran
1,314 posts

Posted:
I have used cork road bike tape for the staffs I have made....

It seems to work ok and comes in funky colours...

LavatwilightGOLD Member
old hand
834 posts

Posted:
i now have my own design, top secret grip tape.

bordom is good for you it makes you think biggrin

Kyle Mclean-
A) it does feel as good

yoniGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,099 posts

Posted:
oooooh can u release the secret aslong as there is no sweaty grips again and they still grip as well

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
"the constant feeling of sweat" - mcp

so good, I had to repost it.

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

893 posts

Posted:
Hmm. My mind just starting to clunk and a very interesting if maybe slightly painfull idea sprung into my head. I shall divulge after some testing.

yoniGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,099 posts

Posted:
soo true too

ooh more than one idea today we must be a brainy bunch, does it involve your foam gripyness mr dave?

893 posts

Posted:
nope but it does involve a gripping idea...

yoniGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,099 posts

Posted:
please tell

Page: