Forums > Social Discussion > Does your job suck too?... career ideas and guidance

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
The Tea FairySILVER Member
old hand
853 posts

Posted:
Hi everyone

I'm starting this thread (my first one ever!) because, well, my job sucks. Most of my previous jobs have sucked. I know lots of people who have jobs that suck, but very few who are happy and feel satisfied by their jobs.

So, to get to know you all a bit better whilst also trying to explore the vast diversity of jobs and careers that may or may not be out there, I would like to invite each of you to say a little here about your current job (or studies), the good and bad bits of it, where you hope it will lead to in the future, the skills you have learnt, how long you had to train for, how much it pays e.t.c.

If you feel like a rant because your job sucks, go for it. This thread is about getting to know each other more, finding out what it is we spend so much of our time doing when we're not doing poi and how we feel about what we do. I'll start...

My current job: Well, my title is 'fundraising, events and marketing co-ordinator' but these days I am treated more as the general office junior. I work at a Hospice for terminally ill people, but in the money-side of the organisation.

Good things about my job: smile It's the first job i've had where I am not someone's 'assistant'. I work with my friend from Uni, so that's fun. It's been interesting working for a charity that's very small and has little money or resources to waste. I do enjoy the planning and organising of events and publicity. I only have to stay another month. Those are the only good bits really...

Bad things about my job: frown Rubbish wages. I dislike a lot of the attitudes around me at work, it's very bitchy here and people are always stabbing others in the back and making presumptions about people. e.g. some people I work with do not think I do enough work, think that I'm incapable of some simple tasks because of my age/studentness, or patronise me and distrust me. I also dislike the fact that since my line manager left, I've been given little guidance or challenging work to do.

Future career path: Have not got a clue! Have a year of studying left (thank God!) to get it sorted a bit more. My degree does not link to any particular career (except training to be a field anthropologist or lecturer). Was thinking about getting into fundraising management, pay is good and it's great fun doing events and PR, working for charity is rewarding but I'm having huge second thoughts. The Charity sector seems to attract a hell of a lot of dodgy people who I don't want to work with. Plus I've got other interests that I could train in professionally, like diving and yoga, where I could pretty much be my own boss once qualified. Who knows? All I know is I want something I enjoy doing, which pays a decent wage and where I don't have to work with complete assholes all the time.

So, who's next? Maybe one of you can inspire me to take a completely different direction to the ones I've thought of. biggrin

Idolized by Aurinoko

Take me disappearing through the smoke rings of my mind....

Bob Dylan

polaritySILVER Member
veteran
1,228 posts

Posted:
I can't believe no-one else has a job that sucks umm

I don't have a job, but that sucks too in plenty of ways.

Nearly all the Jobs I had were crap, temp stuff, where you get a bad reputation, just because all the other temps are known to skive off, and because you end up getting payed more than the regulars at some places.

The one 'full time' Job I did have was as a playworker at an after school kids club. Only 3 hours a day, 5 days a week, but exhausting none the less. I had to stop that because depression set in again, and then people running it went bust thanks to unpaid fees, so I couldn't go back after I got better.

At the moment the DSS has finally realised I have a condition that make it difficult for me to work, and the DSS's own doctor has given me 'a couple of years' without them hassling me any more, before I have to go for another checkup.

My Aspergers syndrome is bad enough that when I get overwhelmed, and have too many things to focus on my senses start shutting down, so I can't learn to drive, and trying to work anywhere where I have to focus on the job in a noisy environment and stay clear of crazy forklift truck drivers all the time isn't a good idea either.

Working in retail just freaks out the customers, and I find having to alter my behavior to be around people too stressful.

Also I can't work anywhere that there are certain chemicals, which is pretty much everywhere at one time or another, as I get very bad migranes and nausea, at the least.

What I'm hoping to do, with some help from my family, and after we move house, is set up a community internet center (like an internet cafe, but more like a social club than somewhere to stop by while shopping). I'd run it as a not-for-profit organisation, and there are government grants for improving internet access in communities. I can go on recieving benefits and work at the center as voluntary work.

The best bit is I'd get to do what I enjoy the most, working with computers all day, and I don't have to be stuck in a room on my own all the time. When helping people out with computer problems I don't have to put on an act as they kind of expect geeks to be a bit wierd.

The whole office politics thing is why I'd never want to work in that kind of environment, even if they'd accept me for the job (yeah right), and the wages were fantastic. I don't mind not making anything, so long as I get to work with people who are fun to be with, and the job isn't a chore. Being a social place means we could provide facilities for all kinds of differen groups there, so I'd get to lend a hand and learn about a whole load of different activities.

There's plenty of jobs you could be doing, and you don't have to be stuck in one job for the rest of your life. Diving is something that I seriously considered, and it's a great way to travel too.

You aren't thinking or really existing unless you're willing to risk even your own sanity in the judgment of your existence.

Green peppers, lime pickle and whole-grain mustard = best sandwich filling.

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Hello smile

There is a similiar discussion [Old link] that you might also find interesting.

Love is the law.

pineapple peteSILVER Member
water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
im a pro student. year 10. its not great and i cant stand alot of people around the place, but i know i could be in worse places.

for the past three years ive been learning to record music. after my first year and a half, i was asked by the person who taught me that, to help him record vocal students. this only happens for a week every few weeks, but its giving me a leg up on alot of the other people wanting to get into this business (i.e. using pro tools better than some people at a local sound / audio engineering school and know my way around a DIGI 002 backwards). ive also been offered to help where i can with the sound at a living end concert by a friend of the family whos somehow got something to do with them. this could also give me some great hands on experience. Later this year i am doing work experience at Joe Camilaris recording studio, Woodstock studios, where the john butler trio recorded sunrise over sea. I am also setting up my own studio in my done up garage, and gradually saving for betterer equipment. recently purchased new speakers *yay*

no surprise i want to get into the music biz, on the mixing desk side of stuff.

cheers, pete biggrin

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

*proud owner of the very cute fire_spinning_angel, birgit and neon shaolin*

old hand
853 posts

Posted:
Thanks for replying to my thread! hug

Sorry about your present difficulties, I know DLA can be really confusing. Had friends who've lost jobs and homes because of the DSS changing their minds about benifit entitlement.

I think your internet cafe idea is great. I visited one the other day that your idea reminds me of. It was in quite a rough estate, they were running adult learning classes and it was more like a social centre for the local people.

I think I'm stuck in the 'job for life' mind-set because both my parents have always had the same job throughout life, but I know deep down I don't have to commit to anything.

Good luck to you in your future plans.

Idolized by Aurinoko

Bob Dylan

taintedaddict
422 posts

Posted:
I think Im really lucky Ive found a job that I love (the circus) its fun but tiring........... Youll be grand have a look around and see what you enjoy and do it hug Good luck

There are no stupid questions, only stupid answers...

GherkinGOLD Member
Inventor
117 posts

Posted:
I guess my job sucks, but I don't mind. I'm a high-schoool student at the moment, except I decided that school is definately not my thing. So I packed up and left... and registered with the Home Education Network and study at home instead. I work as a janitor at a child care centre for about 8 hours a week in the evening. The work sucks, but I get more than double the wage of friends who work at McD's or Pizza Hut...

monkeynamedspankPadawan
197 posts

Posted:
I love my job! I am only part-time so don't have to spend all my time there, dunno if i could do 9-5 it'd get way too boring, but as it is i mainly get to sit/wander around talking to like-minded people or paint little toy soldiers. Sure, the pay's not fantastic but i enjoy it so i don't really care. Dunno what i'm gonna do when i have to leave uni though, might have to get a proper job and that scares me.

Damn the addictiveness of forums! (Or should it be addictivity?)

BumfroIts a bum with an afro...
223 posts

Posted:
Hmm i worked at a fast food chicken shop for 15months. I didnt like. so i left....

Racism is a weapon of mass destruction

munkypunksGOLD Member
enthusiast, but not enthusiastic
367 posts

Posted:
I have a job that should be good, but I'm just the wrong person for it. It pays decently (well for the avg American; poorly for the avg attny), the people in my office are nice, but conservative (although they surprise me sometimes - when I took a couple of days off to go "camping" around labor day, my boss said, oh, you going to Burning Man? Turns out his daughter goes too) But it's mind-numbingly boring, not socially meaningful, and stressful to the point of driving me certifiably (and this is not hyperbole) insane.

I'm thinkiing of pursuing a career change. Statistically, most people will change careers at least once in their lifetimes these days. Don't feel obligated to follow a particular path just because your parents did. The workplace has changed a lot since then. I've found that good people in the workplace make up for a lot of bs, but at the core, you have to be doing something that you believe in. Not everyone gets to change the world, but if you're making things better in the way that only you can, you're leaving your little mark. E.g., if you really like computers and you get to help people learn to use their computers through an internet cafe, bingo! Or since you've got fund-raising skills, maybe fund-raising for a cause you believe in or event-planning for alternative-type events (my understanding is that event-planning is raise and spend the money).

Don't be afraid to look around. I read in some book that there are something like 15,000 job titles, and 90% of Americans (well, it was an American book, but I bet the principle still stands) work in fewer than 500 of them. That's a huge untapped market. And it's the creative people, the ones who aren't afraid to look for something different, who work in those other 14,500 fields. So go for it while you're young, have no responsibilities (and it probably feels like you do, but it's only going to get worse when you have a lifestyle to maintain), and can afford to try a few out!!

You can't fall off the floor, but sometimes you need a chair to reach the cookie jar.

FacelessjokerBRONZE Member
enthusiast
249 posts

Posted:
My jobs sucks coz my manager is an idiot.
She takes the piss. She never comes into work and shes contracted so it doesnt change the amount she gets paid. So technically she working less hours than me and getting paid more, even if she was on the same wage as me shes get paid more. Thats not what gets me though, its the fact ive covered her ass sooo many times and that the superiors KNOW what shes doing but do [censored] all about it.
She had to write a reference for my ex co-worker. It turned out with 90% spelling mistakes and it was only about 4 or 5 lines long. So i basically re wrote it for her.
Im looking for a new job although now ive seen the way she writes references, i dont think i want one off her :S
But ive applied for a photoraphy job biggrin yaaay!! So hopefully *fingies crossed* ill be away from that crap hole biggrin

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
Hello Tea fairy hug

I smile at the thought that u and I seem to have fairly similar profiles in a way. So you ask what we do and if we are happy and well... I am soooo happy and in love with my job i felt the urge to share smile

I graduated with a masteres in anthropology. Then left france to work in japan as a PR for artists for almost 2 years then back to France to work as a PR manager for a pharmaceutical company for almost 3 years

I kinda always loved all my occupations because i felt they all were a great source of lessons and inspiration, even in thehard times. I have had my share of psycho bosses and [censored] situations... but have always tried to keep in mind it is my choice to be there and to take responsibility for it and not blame everyone else all the time.

stillI I decided to leave it all, quit my job and go travelling... which i have done in the past 3 years.

I was wrking on the way because I cannot be a passive tourist but I mainly worked in NGO. IN Guatemala i worked as a clown for an AIDS prevention circus travelling in small villages, doing shows and then giving workshops to women on health and aids related subjects, in thailand I worked in a circus school for street kids in an orphanage etc...

As i traveled i realized i cannot go back to a desk job or else i will go crazy... wink so i explored my heart and found i have an incredible passion for massage.... so i studied in OZ to become a remedial masseuse and in thailand to become a thai masseuse wink

the circus work has definitely made me realize that i love to work with kids which i still do now one day a week in melbourne working in the starlight room of the royal children hospital.

i also work one day a week as a volunteer massage therapist at the Peter Mac cancer center. and the rest of the time i work at a clinic as a massage therapist (and did some 5 star hotel work and day spa too because it pays bloody well and is fun).

I love my patients, I love my colleagues... I found i love the variety my job offers
I love that i can make a living with it because I want to be independant allthouh i am not a high maintenance chick, i love to travel... and no matter how cheaply i have learnt to travel the air fares still cost wink

But also I found that above all i felt good about my job.
I love that i can make even a slight difference in some people s day... give them an hour of peace, warmth, releive some of their ailments, aleviate the stress... I remain humble and do not claim i save the world, but i feel it is essential for me to know that my job has a positive impact , even if it is tiny... and I find it important that it is "wholesome" as my meditation teacher says... which i did not completely feel working as manager in a pharmaceutical business, no matter how ethical they were compared to others...

I find it important to do something we love if we have the chance...and most of us do even if it implies some sacrifices etc...

There are so many things we take into account when we chose a career...

In France where i come from it is very important what you do for a living...for me a lot was about trying to not disappoint my parents... my father is academic and my mother works for a science museum... I thought i had to live up to their standards. and expectations.. I also had a strong ego and wanted to prove i can be successful all by myself...
then i quit to travel and still for months in a row felt the need to explain to people that i did once have a mainstream life blabla bla...
slowly i realized this was a burden I had imposed on myself

slowly i realized I just want to be happy and at peace... and massage is giving me this right now... maybe in 5 or ten years i will want to change and this is good too.

i realized that even though my parents -and some friends- first reaction was quite panicky and negative when i said i change carreers (massage therapists in france are really not respected unlike in the us, uk or OZ), they are so happy because they see me happy now happier than ever ...
i even gave my dad his first massage and he loved it and said : well i think i understand why people rave about massage now... smile

ultimately we just have to be truthful to ourselves... not to fulfill someone else s dream, not even the dream our ego and mind sets for us...

JUST follow your heart and as nelson mandela wisely says : "our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate, our deeest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure..."

Shine on
Cassandra

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

CabenTaster of beer, drinker of wine and all around stumbler.
238 posts

Posted:
I guess I am rather lucky....I have a job that I love!!! It took me a while to get here. I had a lot of other jobs on my way to becoming a paramedic, but all in all I don't mind. I use most of what I learnt doing all those really s*itty jobs. I now work as a paramedic all over the world (at the moment I am in Sudan) but I have worked in Angola, South Africa, Botswana and Kosovo to name but a few.

I have also just qualified as a diving instructor and and planning to go and work in the Philippines later this year. After that I may go back to Sudan, Liberia or Iraq. I love what I do and I am glad I have found someone to pay me for doing what I love.

Don't give in to pressure from family and friends to "settle down and find a career" That is utter rubbish unless you are happy in the job you have. OK, so it may not look great on a CV moving around all the time, but at the end of the day your life is all about you and what you want. Don't live for anyone else, because when all is said and done......it is you alone at night trying to get some sleep.

I say do what you love...and if you don't know what you love....find out.

A high powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live and too rare to die.

a crowded elevator smells different to a midget

If you take me seriously you would be the only one

EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
Right now I'm absolutely loving my job; I'm spending a couple of weeks out in the sticks installing a ventilation shaft for a longwall mining operation in the Bowen Basin.

Let me talk about mining for a while. I'm a geotechnical engineer cum engineering geologist, I look at rocks and think "What's wrong with it?" from the point of view of the people who have to be underground working with it all hanging over their heads. It's very, very interesting work if you like discontinuities and coal seams, probably less so if you're into music production or acting.

Mining pays well...very well. An exploration geologist is looking at A$130,000 a year, for driving one of those bloody great dump trucks you can get A$140,000+, the downside is that you do long hours, often 12 hour days, sometimes 14 hours, often in the middle of nowhere. If you're into funny substances then any mining-related activity isn't for you; you get drug tested three times before you're allowed on the site, you're breathalysed every morning and have a random drug test every week. You cannot take anything with codeine in as it shows up as a morphiate.

Best of all, I love my job right now as I'm back doing rock mechanics, one of my loves, rather than playing around with lumps of mud in the field of gardening commonly known as civil engineering.

And I 've got to drive out to the site for another 84 hours of drilling. Yay!

There is a slight possibility that I am not actually right all of the time.

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
I don't mind my job so much. I've had much much worse ones before this.

I'm a machinist, making stuff out of metal all day.

I like *making* things, and there is a lot to be said about an honest day's work, but I would like something less repetitive, and much more artistically fulfilling.

Oddly, just this weekend, one of my best friends informed me he may possibly be purchasing a pub in Dublin and wonderd what I would think about moving out there with him and his wife to run it. It's by no means for certain that this is going to happen, but it's a very tempting idea. I like beer. I like people. I like Dublin, and I really like the idea of living in a country that has an economy that's actually growing, and that has socialized health care.

I think I may just go for it if he buys the pub.

Jesus helps me trick people.

ed209Ed: geek, staffer, past participle
122 posts

Posted:
Written by: Cassandra

ultimately we just have to be truthful to ourselves... not to fulfill someone else s dream, not even the dream our ego and mind sets for us...

Hell yeah. I think the best way to find your ideal job is to work out exactly what type of person you are and what you're good at, and then find the right job to fit those skills. Rather than the more common route of working out what you'd like to do and then trying to adapt your skills to that.

So I came out of uni with a science degree thinking that what I wanted to do was become a research scientist. I was very very wrong about this smile I'm not a particularly patient person and I don't do my best work with my hands so I hated it. But it did help me realise what I was really good at was talking to people about science and making it fun and understandable. I'm now working in science communication and loving every minute of it (except possibly right this moment when I'm really really tired hence posting at 9 in the morning biggrin).

And everyone here's lovely too. It seems to a be a very similar sort of people who've ended up in this field - they're all fairly sociable and well-spoken (they work in communication) and they're not arrogant or overly aggressive (most said goodbye to research science). I think the point from that is that different jobs will attract different types of people, so it may be worth working out what type of job would attract similar people to you.

Hope that all made sense and wasn't too soapboxy. soapbox

littlespacebugBRONZE Member
44 posts

Posted:
i'm a big beleiver in following you dreams especially when it comes to a career, after all it's what you spend most of your day doing. since graduating from art college on 2002 ive just gone from one mind numbing admin job to the next, 12 hour shifts in a British Gas call centre was the lowest point. It's hard after studying creativity and individuality to suddenly be a uniformed office worker.

Luckily i've always had the plan to be an art teacher and i'm just biding my time until September when my PGCE starts in Bath. So many people scoff at this and tell me how they'd never want to be a teacher and they cant think or a worse job.

Who Knows maybe a few years down the line i'll hate it and be begging for my office job back. My view on this is i'm glad ive got something i really want to do and if it goes wrong then at least ive tried.

anyway the moral of my rant is that it's better to fail at something you've tried than not even bother trying, follow your dreams.
x x

FabergéGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
Written by: SickpuPpy

Oddly, just this weekend, one of my best friends informed me he may possibly be purchasing a pub in Dublin and wonderd what I would think about moving out there with him and his wife to run it. It's by no means for certain that this is going to happen, but it's a very tempting idea. I like beer. I like people. I like Dublin, and I really like the idea of living in a country that has an economy that's actually growing, and that has socialized health care.

I think I may just go for it if he buys the pub.

which Dublin are you talking about? the real one, or one of the many US Dublins? ubbrollsmile

My mind not only wanders, it sometimes leaves completely smile

~Leah~GOLD Member
addict
584 posts

Posted:
I have a problem at the moment concerning my job. I have just finished a course on Propery Management (real estate). I've just been offered a job in a real estate agency but only as a receptionist. Should I take it? It's not at all what I wanted but I guess it's a step in the door..... shrug

Never hold your farts in! They travel up your spine, go into your brain and that's where shitty idea's come from.

old hand
853 posts

Posted:
I'd take it maybe, but only as a time-filler while you look for a job you really want. Maybe as the receptionist you'll get to meet lots of people who open up other doors for you.

It's horrible training and studying so hard for a particular job, then still struggling after to find a way into that job. I've got that to look forward to after Uni. I know I'm going to feel lost for a while!

Idolized by Aurinoko

Bob Dylan

ShuBRONZE Member
Retro Fyre Wizzard
538 posts

Posted:
This is something i shouldnt really participate in...

I love my job...
But i hate the environment and the resources i'm expected to work with!

I think my Boss is a great guy, but when it comes to being a boss... he has absolutely no clue!

With the kind of work i do, i am also expected to meet the most irrational deadlines wich i very rarely actually meet! These people don't realise that there is alot involved in doing 50mil things at once and trying to write some arb report at the same time!

Regards hug

Shu
(Ice-E FyreStorm - Group Manager & Performer)

You know those people your parentals warned you about?... I'M ONE OF THEM! ubbloco
Yes, i do bite!!

littlespacebugBRONZE Member
44 posts

Posted:
being a receptionist is actually a really nice job, if the people who work in that office are nice. I did it for about a year in my job and got to know everybody in the building. Therefore you get to move up the ladder for sure, but it only works if your happy to chat to people all day long. it wasnt long before i got a better job in the company. if youve nothing to lose by it then go for it. ubbrollsmile

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
My job is nice enough, and pays very well by the hour although not so well by the week, as with many specialized teaching jobs I think people appreciate me but the prep work is boring and I've been finding it stressful. Its worse because its the only income right now, my bf is out of work and not looking very hard for more. I've worked other jobs before, that payed decently and wern't too bad, nice people, etc, but I've very seldom been able to free myself from being stressed out by them.

i'm working now on getting back in shape and getting my riding back up to speed (its what i've always wanted to do) but i'm getting older and its getting harder in all kinds of ways. It may not be gymnastics, but there's definetly an age limit on competition riding, and there's an age limit the other way on several other things i'm interested in (plus you need competition expirience....)

I'm working too on playing harp (which hopefully i'll be able to pick up some business by fall) and I want to take archery lessons, but I feel not well enough trained to be useful just yet. It doesn't help that the community here is hard for me to get involved in, so I'm not meeting a lot of people, especially with the responsibilities which I have around the house right now!

I know I have to be working in unusual places, and I'm working on following my dreams, but its really hard to sift through all the icky stuff that comes with it, especially with other commitments. Additionally I've been battling with anxiety/depression issues although on and off in my life particuarly in the past year they've gotten worse again because I wasn't paying enough attention to my life.

In all honesty, my bf and I have come up with a lot of good fairy simple small company ideas which in the right place would set you up ok even if you wanted to do a very low paying job or volunteer work without pay for most of your life, but the right place isn't here.

Thanks for starting this thread... it was good to read people's stories, and good to talk. I'm grateful for my upcoming trip to britain, which I'm hoping will help reconnect me with me, and also give me a chance to suss a few things out. I actually have a good idea for putting me on my feet in britain if I decide I want to move there... but I want to get a feel for the place first, and stuff.

I sure babble a lot. In any event, good luck peoples smile

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

old hand
853 posts

Posted:
hug Thanks for sharing everyone. Kyrian, come and see us at Clapham when you come over! PM Dixie for details. I like the idea of teaching skills like Yoga, diving or climbing to people too, but it does seem hard to make enough money for it to be a sole means of income.

I've now officially finished my second Uni work placement. biggrin Has been an interesting learning curve. I know I can work in fundraising and marketing but now I'm not sure I want to. It's a lot of pressure, how enjoyable it is often depends on the group of people you have to work with. In our fundraising team, we seem to argue most of the time and cannot agree on who should be in charge of what, which resources we should use e.t.c. leads to much dissatisfaction.

Event co-ordination and management is much more fun. I think I prefer it to straight fundraising and marketing. I'm not sure I want to work in an office at all any more though.

In short, I'm getting better at recognising what careers and jobs I definitely do not want.

Idolized by Aurinoko

Bob Dylan

LostSurferSILVER Member
I'd be in trouble if I had to eat an antelope now
278 posts

Posted:
when i left uni i went travelling and stuff and then came back to the uk to "start a job in the real world" as my mum might say. so i moved away from home sorted a house, but struggled to find a job, despite being well educated (i hate saying that, sounds so pretentious!), but lacking that all important experience so noone would touch me. i ended up unemployed for three months until the council offered me temp work. by now due to my jobless status my then g/f was getting a bit annoyed with me because i wasn't taking hold of my life properly and it probably appeared to her, and my parents that i wasn't trying hard enough. maybe this was true, but looking back i can see that i was on the downward slope into manic depression. so by the time i started work i was struggling to get out of bed in the morning, my g/f left me and the people in my office were so bitter about their jobs that it wasn't exactly a warm atmosphere in the office. the guy i was helping was the biggest numpty in the whole place. he was always disagreeing with his seniors and trying to place me in the middle of it all.

so with all this going on i was reaching crash point, bad stuff went down, i had to leave my job before i felt murdered by it. so i left went back home and now find myself back in the same job i had when i was coming home during uni holiday. kinda feels like i haven't moved on much in my life really over the last six months.

however, things are looking up a bit now with the possibilities of an enjoyable job in the near future. sorry if i've gone a bit off topic! but that temp job managed to both suck and blow!

peace hug

"Everything in moderation. Even moderation itself. From this it follows that you must, from time to time, have excess. And this is going to be one of those occasions"

duballstarSILVER Member
slack rating - 9.5
2,216 posts

Posted:
a lot of interesting journey's in this thread as well, thank you all for sharing... having only just finished my degree i've only ever had causal or seasonal jobs so far with the exception of a year working at a paintball company but will report back after i get one on how it turns out... good luck with your future paths! smile

It is our fantasies that make us real. Without our fantasies we're just a blank monkey' - Terry Pratchett

SDLWSILVER Member
326 posts

Posted:
i love the job i have now but the one before it sucked thoguh the kids were great

I was playleader for an afterschool and ya get paid well for this well in childcare terms ya do but generally it involved dealing with staff who refused point blank to do as i asked them. Staff who didnt wanna do there jobs so generally i was doing all the paper work my job and there job and getting so stressed i had an inhalor back for the first time in like four years. My manager tried to offer support but generally it wasnt enough to achieve what i needed to do and being glared at all day was making me unhappy. Had a meeting with my boss and jsut went ive had enough i cant cope anymore and they offerd me a move into the nursery. This is what im mainly trained in and is lower pay but in the end im happy there and every time my other boss walks through the room she goes you look happy so it was obviously worse than i reliased and the pay cut was worth it for the lack of stress

Tell me and I forget, Show me and I remember, Involve me and I understand

SNOOPoiCarpal \'Tunnel
3,380 posts

Posted:
i work at mcdonalds. that really sucks. but money is a thing a shopperholic girl like me needs. alas they pay me good money...

THWACK!!!!
Liz_Ard: Ouch!
SNOOPoi: Thats just not the sound of someone doing it right!

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:

The question is for me now,
what is ambicion?

:R

POI THEO(R)IST

GothFrogetteBRONZE Member
grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
I used to work for a charity too. but it sucked.... the work not the charity, well actually the work was really easy its just the some of the other staff were, well not the brightest and it was very very bitchy.

i am now out of a job and signed off till August and then i have to have a complete career change from the Social services area i was working in. frown i have no idea what i'm going to do as its something i have always done.

Life's too short to worry about where you put your marshmallows

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
Richee hug , did you mean to ask what it means as a word? or was that a joke ?

seeing as we are both foreigners and knowing how difficult it is sometimes to not understand some english words i just want to make sure you get your answer in case you wanted to know the meaning ...

ambition = what one wishes/expects in life

someone ambitious is someone who wants to achieve success in different fields smile

ambition i used to think was a bad word, bad concept... because i only thought of it as "money, power" ambition...

i realized i am a very ambitious girl, but my ambition is to be at peace and happy. In this world it is a beautiful challenge and I am happy to pursue it smile

shine on
cass

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

Page: