Forums > Social Chat > And a new doctor is loosed on the world

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
So today I got my final grade sheet filled out. At this point, I have officially fulfilled all of the requirements for the degree of Doctor of Medicine from the University of Michigan Medical School. My registrar handed me a copy of the Hippocratic Oath and we read it aloud together. While I technically still need to graduate, which will happen on Friday, 3 June, I am, for all intents and purposes, a doctor. I'm still coming in to clinic tomorrow morning, though.

It's a rather curious sensation, I have to say. I've wanted this for more than ten years. Every action, move, and decision of mine was always backgrounded by this goal.

It's been a long and strange journey, to be sure. I didn't realize I'd finish it as openly gay, or having leaned to spin fire, having earned a Masters degree along the way, or in London, where I'm surrounded by friends. There were many who said I'd never make it; that a guy with ADHD couldn't possibly withstand the rigors of medical school. But many more believed, and they supported me, they celebrated my triumphs with me and comforted me when I hit setbacks. To all of you, my most heartfelt thanks.

It's a bit scary, really. I'll be able to write prescriptions and I will be responsible for the errors I make (and I'll make them). But I also know that I will not be dealt anything that I cannot handle and by the Oath of Hippocrates I am bound to ask for help when I believe that a situation exceeds my abilities to handle it. I intend to make good use of that clause.

And so here I am, a brand-new doctor. And yet at this point there isn't anything I can do today that I couldn't do yesterday. I don't have a prescription pad, I can't practice on my own... I just have two new letters on my name. And yet it means something.

Among other things, it means I can remove the '(in training)' from my sigline and title and I can make just a teensy change to my HOP name. biggrin

And for the first time in my life, I can say:

I am Michael L. Ginsberg, M.D., M.S.

But please call me Mike. weavesmiley

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

GothFrogetteBRONZE Member
grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
hug awwwwwwwwwwwwww hug

Life's too short to worry about where you put your marshmallows

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
congratulations, Doc Lightning, well done!

clap

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

Singed Piper (formerly Mark1)resident bagpiper
342 posts

Posted:
wow, thats awesome.

however, my first thought was that this was a thread about david tennant. LOL

Q:What's the difference between the Great Highland Bagpipes and the Northumbrian Pipes?
A:The Great Highland Pipes burn longer.

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
so now when we call you dr mike, you can't say "shhh, im not a doctor yet"!

woo hoo! woopy hoopy!

YAY!!!!

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

NoddyToe Poking Bad Boy
2,865 posts

Posted:
congrats Mr/Dr Lightning

Remember.........YOU LOSE!!!

linden rathenGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,942 posts

Posted:
*bounces randomly in and hugs people*

argh ive got to wait 6 years at least to become a doctor of physics *mutters
then again i probably should wait until i get my A levels before i plan any further

back

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Blast from the past: who remembers that party?

*happy sigh*

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

FoxInDocsSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,848 posts

Posted:
*snugs* teehee, i don't think i was around to say congratulations then.... so i'll do it now...

Congratulations Dr Lightning!

"i am exotic, and must keep my arms down" - Rougie

"i don't understand what penises have to do with getting married" - Foxie

Adya MiriyanaGOLD Member
*slou?
6,554 posts

Posted:
I concur with the foxy one smile

Page: