Forums > Social Chat > The best "hole in the wall" eatery you've ever been to?

Login/Join to Participate

SocksBRONZE Member
Arf! Can I have a biscut?
288 posts

Posted:
I was out with a friend tonight (who I'm helping learn staff, we're both works in progress). At around 1:30 AM we went out to this hole-in-the-wall Mexican resturant in Chicago. 24 hour place, salsa to die for. I ordered something I couldn't pronounce that had both sides of the poultry life in it. (Eggs, chicken, and something I don't know what it was) **drools** Anywhere you can get food at 2:30 AM is good. When they hand-make the ingredients, it's better. When they cook for you like they cook for their own children... Mmmm... yesssss....

It got me thinking of other places I've been, small resturants that nobody would even know about except that the food is so incredible that people will beat a path to the door of these places.

So I guess I'm asking 'yall for the best unknown places you've eaten. Even vague recolections of a place in Italy is fine, I'm just curious to it, really.

Like the time when I was in London, I was outside Picadilly Curcus looking for something else unrelated, and I walked past this Chinese resturant. It looked packed, with Chinese people. And I knew I had to eat there. And I did, and didn't regret it. It's the same theory of this other Mexican food place I ate at once, they didn't speak a word of english (in the Chicagoland area, mind you). I mentioned this to my friend, who said "Then it's going to be good." It was authentic enough to make my friend (native of New Mexico) smile and say "Yes, this is right." Meanwhile the salsa made my tongue explode.

That and there's this pizza place in the suburbs of Chicago. The place isn't larger than the kitchen in my home, but they have deep dish pizza that's making my mouth water as I type here. If you've never had Chicago deep dish, it's a treat. (Unless you're from New York, in which case it's an abomination....)

So, share? I like hearing stories from all over exploring a universal truth. We all like good food.

Socks

I'm weird. Just work through that and we'll all be fine.

"If you are a dog and your owner suggests that you wear a sweater suggest that he wear a tail." - Fran Lebowitz

pineapple peteSILVER Member
water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
last week, me and a mate from america went to this waffle place. we were told, go to flinders st station (the big train station here) walk along the underground part till it ends at a flight of stairs. so we did, and walked up those stairs, and Lo and Behold, we saw the sign: "Belgian Waffles." we ordered the waffles from a french lady, and talked to a french guy who made coffee.
They were the bestest waffles i have ever had. ive been there 3 times now and am bound to go back.

cheers, pete biggrin

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

*proud owner of the very cute fire_spinning_angel, birgit and neon shaolin*

roarfireSILVER Member
comfortably numb
2,676 posts

Posted:
Brunetti's on Lygon St Melbourne. As you walk in there's fridges full of all these exotic huge and rich cakes. Really dark choclatey ones with waffley things sticking out or shreds of chocolates with strawberries etc. They look amazing. I felt like I was in heaven!

It's got a bakery, gellati, pizza, hot drinks....really nice italian tea!

I love my brother for taking me there!

.All things are beautiful if we take the time to look.

pineapple peteSILVER Member
water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
im there biggrin

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

*proud owner of the very cute fire_spinning_angel, birgit and neon shaolin*

SniperBRONZE Member
Snoochie-boochie-noochies!
663 posts

Posted:
the one on piccadilly bus station in manc. amazing spring rolls

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
Theres an amazing pakora place near me, just out of town. People will trapse all the way over there, even though its the opposite direction to the buses and trains.

So good and so cheap, so many to chose from so mmmmmmmmm
*drools*

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

vaperloc...the mightylook @my member
466 posts

Posted:
my favorite hole in the wall is either sunshine in arlington or rack daddys in fort worth

There are no obstacles only challenges.
Very funny scotty now beam down my pants.
[colour."green"}What would willie do?

AHH theres too many wee leprechauns i cannae squash them all

JauntyJamesSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,533 posts

Posted:
there's all kinds of awesome restraunts in the shopping centre near my house, and tehy're all really small and unique. my favourite is this little thai joint called thai tamarind, we're allways the only people there, and teh food is to die for. there's also a korean barbecue, which is a wee bit antimidating because we have no idea waht we're suppose to do, there's only about three people working there who speak english, it's a lot of fun. there's also a chinese buffet, which always has fun weird stuff. then there's the mexican place, which is pretty good, too.

-James

"How do you know if you're happy or sad without a mask? Or angry? Or ready for dessert?"

ilsanyamanic over a fence
798 posts

Posted:
there is a wonderfull little lebanese place in queenstown, nz that has the best icecream EVER

Quid Pro Quo
5|>00|\|5 /-\|^3 <00|!

Boo_BunnyBRONZE Member
Sparkely arty Mormon rainbow fairy
933 posts

Posted:
Milans coffee shop-Great coffee, better Hot chocolate, cakes that make you drool from acrross the room and a choice of 3 different sitting areas (i know its not exacly a hole-in-the-wall eatery, but its the best foody place in town)- down a side street of the main shopping street in Harrogate

Property of Fine_Rabid_Dog

Bubbles_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,384 posts

Posted:
many moons ago wen i was in turkey i discoverd a sweet pastry type food called baclawa (pronounced baclava) which i loved! its pastry but with nuts and syrup and really nice!
i was casualy stumbling towards a takeaway in manchester one stary night, with a friend who told me of a really nice takeaway and when we got there guess what i saw! biggrin i had to buy a tray and when i tried one they were better than i remember bounce definate recomendation! biggrin
i always try and head that way when i stubbling home now!

Disclaimer:im not responsible for what i say or do whether it be before,during and after drinking alcoholic substances (owned by BMVC).
Creater of Jenisms(TM)
Virginity like bubble,one prick all gone.

RyGOLD Member
Gromit's Humble Squire
4,496 posts

Posted:
There's a lady in Paris who does a mean Nutella and banana crepe! Think she was somewhere along Blvd de Sebastopol, while I was trekking over to Montmarte. This is her:

Non-Https Image Link

biggrin

Also, sometime in 1997 I had an awesome pecan kahlua cheesecake at a restaurant which seemed to be on a platform extending into the river in somewhere in Perth..

clarence_quackSILVER Member
QuackerJack
1,927 posts

Posted:
what exactly in a hole-in-the-wall eatery? around where i live, a hole in the wall is an ATM.

Nutella Brigade Unite!

"Look! I have a rainbow penis!" - Rouge

Owned By Steaks

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
There's a place in Ann Arbor called Jerusalem Garden. Cheap as can be and LOTS of really good middle-eastern food. Total dump, but SUCH good food! One of the few things I'll miss about Ann Arbor.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura