DioHoP Mechanical Engineer
729 posts

Posted:
My roommates are heathens and think fire art is a big joke, and have come up with some pretty creative names for what I do. Not looking to slam them (cuz they have been suitably chastened as it is ), but I was curious -

What other names have you guys heard the fire arts referred to by? Ever had someone make fun of a performance and call it something so ridiculous you just had to laugh at it?

My personal favorite is "Fire Tossing," like I'm puking it up or somethin

What hits the fan is not evenly distributed.

trintekmember
107 posts

Posted:
quote:
What other names have you guys heard the fire arts referred to by? Ever had someone make fun of a performance and call it something so ridiculous you just had to laugh at it?
Pyrotechnics
Pyromania
heh i could list many, but, they are all the sort of stuff you get used to over time... i know a poi spinner that had his art referred to as fire breathing.... where they got that from i'll never know *belches some paraffin fumes*

The ones that have made me laugh are..
fire eating - "damn man, i didnt swallow that much...."
one of my friends pet names - fire belching - "hey man, got a light? i just finished a spicy bloody mary"

on a lighter note, i was practicing by the house, and, as usual, the neighbours brought out some lawn chairs and watched... one of them walked out and said "man, it almost looks like your puking flames when you breathe fire" (i was experimenting with downward trailbacks)... I told him "well, thats why we call it firepuking, you really dont want to know whats in that bottle i've been taking swigs off of"

Trin

We bleed the same blood, We cry the same tears, We have the same fears, We pass the same years, We see the same stars, Under the same skies, We pass the same time, We all live and die

Maximusmember
250 posts

Posted:
I've noticed some guys are too butch to call themselves fire "dancers," and some women are too artistic (in their own eyes) to be merely called "dancers." They both seem to prefer to be called "fire performers."
Given the connection with performance art, I think this is okay.
But for fun, I call what I do by the Japanese name: Hiburi-Do --the "Way of Fire!"

Maximus

trintekmember
107 posts

Posted:
hell, i like that more than my firepuking comment

We bleed the same blood, We cry the same tears, We have the same fears, We pass the same years, We see the same stars, Under the same skies, We pass the same time, We all live and die

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Firedancing has always been my preferred name, although you do often get people asking how you stop your feet getting burnt!

When talking to clients, I simply refer to it as "fire performing", which most of them seem to understand.

Thaumatalogical Leisure Based Movements is hard to beat though (in my opinion, coz I just made it up!)

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

FireMikeZLaguna dude
1,438 posts

Posted:
Charles, "thauma" or "thaumato" is (ancient or modern?) greek? root for fire? (for what the Random House dictionary calls a "learned borrowing" into English). . . what fields of human endeavor use this term now?

[ 20 September 2002, 03:45: Message edited by: FireMike ]

molten cheers,

~ FireMike

FireMikeZ@yahoo.com (personal messages welcome, no promo spam, please!)
Laguna, California, US

Feemember
80 posts

Posted:
One of my neighbours called the police with the concern that "someone is out the front playing with fire on a stick" lmao

Why do you like to confuse me so?

Mark PBRONZE Member
old hand
1,031 posts

Posted:
When I went to get a burn seen to at the Docs I used the more professional term 'fire performance' but when I am out playing it is definately fire dancing ormaybe fire spinning

P

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
I was wondering something similar to this the other day - I'm trying to build up the motivation to update my CV and I'm going to put spinning in the other interests type bit.
I'm still not sure how I can phrase it so I don't sound too insane to the people who I want a job from, but they'd still have some idea what it involves.

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.