Forums > Social Chat > What do blind people see?

Login/Join to Participate

nearly_all_goneSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
Like.. do they see any weird visual phenomena? What about when they dream, or take drugs?

Sorry to be ignorant smile I'm just curious.

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

heyahoneyBRONZE Member
Redneck Woman
566 posts

Posted:
my step father was blind for the last 3 yrs of his life...it is just like memories for them...if they had seen before. Some times they can see lightness and dark

Top Three Things I've Learn While Being A Mom
1. Baby poop comes in many colors.
2. Makes sure all dirty diapers are not accessable to my dog.
3. Burp rags are not big enough.

Flame BoyGOLD Member
veteran
1,508 posts

Posted:
Depends how blind they are......some peeps see only pitch black, some peeps can make varying degrees of colours, shapes and lights.

AAARRRGGGHHH!!! My giant stick broke!!! In two!!! My stick broke in two!!! ubbcrying

JauntyJamesSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,533 posts

Posted:
of course, the irony is that they'll never know you were talking about them

-James

"How do you know if you're happy or sad without a mask? Or angry? Or ready for dessert?"

Bubbles_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,384 posts

Posted:
i remember hearin about someone in psychology, cant remember if they were always blind or were kept in a dark room, but for years didnt see 'the world' but when they did later on in life all they saw was loadsa colours.....couldnt 'interpret' what they saw as the objects we see. sounds scary to me, imagine if you could see everything but not know at all what it is your looking at.......

Disclaimer:im not responsible for what i say or do whether it be before,during and after drinking alcoholic substances (owned by BMVC).
Creater of Jenisms(TM)
Virginity like bubble,one prick all gone.

mycoBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,084 posts

Posted:
i know this is about blind people, but i knew this deaf woman who was profoundly deaf (could hear nothing) since a few years old. i asked her is she had audio in her dreams, and she said that it was just visual. she also said that she tended to think in pictures rather than in words.

another interesting thing was that she loved music, esp. piano. she could feel the vibrations, and 'hear' the music this way.

4d1c3member
61 posts

Posted:
Gday Gday,
That is a really interestign Question, if i ever become blind and manage to use the net i will let you know.

4dice

P.S. It has been an extremely long time since i have posted or twirled, just never really got around to it the summer

the risk is the rush

roarfireSILVER Member
comfortably numb
2,676 posts

Posted:
(Off topic apologies)

But I remember I saw this docomentary about something, and a lady who had something psychological and she could see, but everything had swirly colours. For instance....if there were birds singing she might see a gentle swirly green colour infront of her, if there was a busy street it was rainbow and hectic.

I don't know what the hell I'm on about. Maybe I dreamt it but I swear I didn't, maybe it was a documentary on acid....but I remember they showed her vision and colours on the TV screen so we saw what she did. I was young, and it intrigued me and I can never remember it properly.

Okay sorry, I'll go now. redface

.All things are beautiful if we take the time to look.

AdrillfSILVER Member
112 posts

Posted:
People that were born blind, or are blind for most of their life, usually don't know/remember what sight is, so they can't really tell you what they 'see' because they don't know/remember what seeing is. It's assumed that they see nothing, but have a very active imagination.

People that have had sight at one point in time and then go blind, their stories range all over the spectrum. The basic answer by those people are, they ocasionally get the sense that they are seeing something but in reality it's just their brain playing a trick on its self.

missegyptology: I'm gonna be a terrorist when I grow up anyway

YexBRONZE Member
97 posts

Posted:
"i see" said the blind mad who picked up his hammer and saw.

"Not all who wander are lost. "

J.R.R. Tolkien

Flame BoyGOLD Member
veteran
1,508 posts

Posted:
Did anyone see the Top Gear (this is for english peeps) with blind guy who raced the reasonably priced car?

For those of you who dont know Top Gear, it is a car program and its brilliant. Every week they invite a celebrity on the show and get them to do a timed lap of their track in their 'reasonably priced car'.
One week a pitch black blind guy wrote in saying he could beat Terry Wogans time (the celebrity at the bottom of the board)..............and he did!
He had Jeremy Clarkson sitting next to him yelling LEFT, LEFT, YOUR OTHER LEFT!!! ubblol

AAARRRGGGHHH!!! My giant stick broke!!! In two!!! My stick broke in two!!! ubbcrying

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
Written by: sparkey

Have you never heard of speaking computer programs. Lots of blind people use computers and the net.

As to the original question... different people dream in different ways whether they be blind or not. The same can be said of the effect drugs have on people.

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

=Flashpoint=SILVER Member
Pasta of Muppets
2,722 posts

Posted:
Written by:

But I remember I saw this docomentary about something, and a lady who had something psychological and she could see, but everything had swirly colours. For instance....if there were birds singing she might see a gentle swirly green colour infront of her, if there was a busy street it was rainbow and hectic.

Indeed, they have a auditory/aural crossover in their neural pathways with meabt they could see sounds.

ohmygodlaserbeamspewpewpew!
ubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmile

Hanzveteran
1,328 posts

Posted:
My cousin is blind, and she says she sees black... however because she saw for the first 11 years of her life, she can still see some things through memories.
If you were to see her you wouldnt know she is blind, because she runs around normally like any 18 year old does, except for when she is new to somewhere because she remembers where everything is and knows when to jump and everything like that, only problem is, if you move something and dont tell her, she can end up in great pain

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
i know that if you have an eye transplant you see ghosts of dead children eek

or so the film told me smile

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:

Written by: sparkey

ubblol only if they are DEAF too!... they can still hear you currently said topic is blindness! wink

roarfireSILVER Member
comfortably numb
2,676 posts

Posted:
Written by: =Flashpoint=

Written by:

Indeed, they have a auditory/aural crossover in their neural pathways with meabt they could see sounds.

So I didn't dream this? I think I'll have to research it now that it's back into my head. Thanks smile

.All things are beautiful if we take the time to look.

marcoenthusiast
328 posts

Posted:

Your refering to a neurological anomoly called Synaesthesia, is the general name for a related set (a "complex") of various cognitive states having in common that stimuli to one sense, such as smell, are involuntarily simultaneously perceived as if by one or more other senses, such as sight or/and hearing.

mark

FearsaorRosaBRONZE Member
Cyr Wheel Artist, Fire Performer, Poi Enthusiast
43 posts

Posted:
I have just come back to HOP after a not so friendly welcoming commitee (some years ago).

I am legally blind, I will give you an idea of what I "see". Not all people who are legally blind, see in the same way. Different conditions produce different symptoms.

I have Macular Dystrophy (Stargardts) and Retinitis Pigmentosa. Due to having two comorbid condition I have lost the majority of my sight.

I have a small area with my right eye that if I concentrate to focus on something I can make out rough shape and colour.

My left eye is basically shadows and light, I can detect movement if it is close. (This normally means me getting smacked by one of my poi)

To me the world is colours, shadows, and light. I can detect bright colours easier and can see some movement. I know that I have replied very late to the thread but I hope that this helps.

FieryFireWorld

In the United Kingdom, two million people are registered blind or partially sighted, of whom:

•4% have no light perception
•10% can see hand movements
•86% have good residual vision in ideal conditions
•75% use large print daily.

I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it.

SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
I know my mom has MS (Multiple Sclerosis) and she's shown me something that explained what having MS was like. Part of it was of course, the vision. What diseases like that do to your vision is way censored up! Let me see if I can find the video so I don't have to type stuff up because I really really don't want to right now.

A little off topic but can help you understand the odd things people who are slowly going blind go through.

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
FFW - welcome to HoP - hug

I find it extremely brave of you to take on the challenge of spinning poi in your condition...

megahug hug2 very encouraging for other people with challenges and very challenging for people without disabilities to value and treasure their health... hug hug hug
EDITED_BY: FireTom (1300330006)
EDIT_REASON: more hugs

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink