Forums > Social Chat > My rant on ancohol adds vs. non-smoking adds

Login/Join to Participate

The Real Fryed FishGod's illgitament son
1,489 posts

Posted:
Ok, so this has been bothering me for a while. So I figured I'd get it out. Now I'm sure most if not all of you have seen at least one non-smoking add on t.v. as well as a beer or liquor commercials, but have you ever noticed the WORDING to these adds? The anti-smoking ones are all basically ther same, Smoking kills, cause lung cancer. Hell glued to the back of my pack is a little pamphlet that informs you in detail the risk of smoking...........we get it its bad for you!

Now, alcohol adds tell not to drink and drive, or think when you drink, or drink responsibly.........see the differance yet.....here, I'll make it easier..........dont DRINK and drive......think WHEN you DRINK......DRINK resposibly........now do you see? We're saying "Hey you can't smoke 'cause its bad for you, but it's just fine to drink." No mention of liver damage, or killing of brain cells, or, my fav, alcoholism. Now yes i know there is info out there to inform people on those side effects, but why is it not played as much as anti-smoking adds?

Alcohol related accidents casue more and more deaths in this country every year. Familys and lives are destroyed over alcoholism. I have never meet anyone that has hit a family member while he/she "had on to many cigarettes"...........any one else my problem with this??????????????

You can't avoid pain by fencing yourself from it.
Some times you need the help of others more than anything else
But you have to let them close enough to help......
People want to be needed, I found that out too

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
FF, I totally agree with you on this one, its disgusting how they stress everything that smoking does to your health, and yet over here in England the ONLY adverts I see on alcohol are about dirnk driving and to be honest I probably only see less than 10 during the space of 11 months and then when its christmas they show them more and its always dont drink and drive at christmas, apart from that I hardly ever see any alcohol related adverts, yet probably see a smoking one every day.

I'm doing a film course and will make a note to defiently make an advert on damages of alcohol smile

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I fail to see how your point results in larger sales for major corporations.

wink

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Problem is a lot of the sie effects of not drinking responsibly are seen as funny by many people or not that serious. Think how many times you may have joked about someone getting a bad hangover or being sick from drinking too much.

It's all real life damage to the body, but as it's voluntary it's not seen as a social problem until you affect other people's lives negatively.

You don't get people hitting other people because of too many cigarettes (maybe too little?) but you do get people slowly choking to death from lung cancer because their father smoked too many fags. It's all bad, just different.

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
i've got a thing against caffine at the moment, *pauses to sip coke*, has anybody read the article about caffine in January's National Geographic? its got some really interesting infomation in it(not that i can find a link to it) but it really started to make me compare the use of alcohol and the use of caffine on the same level. both are drugs. both can have long term mental effects. both are addictive. both are redily available. its just amazing at how similar the can be viewed.

caffine- "its the only habit forming, psychoactive drug we regularly supply to our children"

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley