nearly_all_goneSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
Seagulls. Dancing.

I just noticed it. To get worms out of the ground they tap their feet on the ground to mimic rainfall, because obviously worms come out when it rains.

It looks like they're running on the spot.

Genius! Anyone else got interesting animal behaviours/facts they want to share?

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

HavokistBRONZE Member

2,530 posts

Posted:
no matter what, before a dog curls up and goes to sleep/rest, it will always turn a full circle before sitting down. this goes back to before dogs were domesticated as pets, and when they wet to sleep in long grass, it would clear an area to sleep in, but it didnt create a gap in the grass so predetors would see them.

We are the music makers, We are the dreamers of dreams,
Wandering by lone sea-breakers, And sitting by desolate streams;
World-losers and world-forsakers, On whom the pale moon gleams;
We are the movers and shakers of the world for ever, it seems.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
I noticed that today as well...

You didnt happen to be in Canterbury did you?

There was a seagull doing the dancey dancey too.

and I think you will find that it has nothing to do with them contacting worms. They are simply burying the nuts and berries they harvested in the autumn.
Quite why they are only now burying them in mid January and not when they got them in september.... umm

_Aime_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
They do that on top of the skylights in rother block. we throw things at skylights, seagulls poo themselfs in fright, then they poo on you when you go outside.
I don't like seagulls very much...

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
I dont like them either..

They have red bits round the corners of their beaks that look too much like blood for me..

umm

=Flashpoint=SILVER Member
Pasta of Muppets
2,722 posts

Posted:
they are in league with the squirrels in order to take over the world you know...

ohmygodlaserbeamspewpewpew!
ubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmile

NOnactivist for HoPper liberation.
1,643 posts

Posted:
hmmm... i thought they were probably stamping their feet in frustration because no-one in the area had chips they could steal.....

the falmouth ones are mutants, they're like twice the size of your average seagull and with twice the poo power...

but it's fun to taunt them by throwing decoy chips, so long as you don't mind having your eyeballs pecked out...

and then when they've cleared the sockets, they'll start on your brain! *shudders*

Aurinko freedom agreement reached 10th Sept 2006

if it makes no sense that's because it's NOn-sense.

Sir_Sheepold hand
725 posts

Posted:
The red circle on a herring gull's beak is very important in rearing the young chicks. The chicks are born conditioned to peck instinctively at a moving red dot - such as the one on the parents beak - and when the chick does this the parent regurgitates food for the youngster.

In experiments where dummy seagulls were presented to young chicks without the red spot, or with the spot but not moving, then the chicks wouldn't peck and thus would get very hungry.

Or so my animal course leads me to believe.

Spoiling Christmas for small children since 2003.

mycoBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,084 posts

Posted:
that's so cool about the red dots.

off the seagull topic and onto the weird animal(insect in this case) behaviour one...Bees fly in a figure 8 when they find pollen, and the height, speed and width of the figure 8 communicates to other bees how far away the pollen is, how much there is and what direction to fly in to get there.

I think this is true, my sister told me after watching a documentary about it, and i've been telling people ever since.

Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
Written by: NOn

the falmouth ones are mutants, they're like twice the size of your average seagull and with twice the poo power...

Pah, I laugh in the face of your measly falmouth gulls. I saw some when I was down there, and I thought they were wimps.

You wanna come to brighton to see real momma seagulls... these things have been known to swoop down and eat chips from peoples lap when they've not been huddled over them. And eating chips on the beach/peir? Suicide.

To this day I still wake up screaming... took my eye off them for a second to bite into a pickled egg, and they were gone... the horror.. the horror...

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

roarfireSILVER Member
comfortably numb
2,676 posts

Posted:
I learnt today that if you don't squash a bee and kill it properly, it's wings can send out this vibration so the other bees can come and swarm you. Lol. I'm not sure if this is true.

.All things are beautiful if we take the time to look.

Gri-griMember
84 posts

Posted:
Hey Xabandonedx, not too sure about the bee and wing thing, but I know if you kill an ant, the smell attracts other ants that congregate to protect the nest...

And Myco, as for the bees sending out info. It's actually called the bee dance and is done on the ground in the hive. Depnding on the distace and relative bearing of the food source, the communnicating bee does a sideways figue eight dance, the angle of it indicating the direction relative to the sun. In the verticle part of the dance, the bee wags its butt. The number of wags per pass indicates the distance.

Incredible to think about the "intelligence" of the whole process. Amazing

Where the mind goes,
The body will follow...

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Written by: Unregistered

I noticed that today as well...

You didnt happen to be in Canterbury did you?

There was a seagull doing the dancey dancey too.

and I think you will find that it has nothing to do with them contacting worms. They are simply burying the nuts and berries they harvested in the autumn.
Quite why they are only now burying them in mid January and not when they got them in september.... umm

that was a squirrel you fool.....

Meh

mycoBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,084 posts

Posted:
Gri-Gri thanks for elaborating. i think it's pretty amazing how complex it all is.

And nearly all gone: 'my seagulls are scarier than yours'. i'll bet you were one of those kids that used to go round saying "oh yeah? well my brother can beat your brother up!" ubblol

1,643 posts

Posted:
well i'd say there was only one way to settle this, we'll have them fight it out!

if i catch a...... ummmm.... actually you can catch a brighton one and take it to falmouth... mweheheheheee umm i, meanwhile, shall sit in wait with some carefully placed chip bait and taunt your brighton beastie until it flips out and is no longer fit to fight!!

ah frell, that was the secret bit of the scheme and i went and said it out loud...

may the seagull wars begin!!

Written by: nearly_all_gone

Written by: NOn

Pah, I laugh in the face of your measly falmouth gulls. I saw some when I was down there, and I thought they were wimps.

You wanna come to brighton to see real momma seagulls... these things have been known to swoop down and eat chips from peoples lap when they've not been huddled over them. And eating chips on the beach/peir? Suicide.

To this day I still wake up screaming... took my eye off them for a second to bite into a pickled egg, and they were gone... the horror.. the horror...

Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
I have no doubt that I could sit on the back of a Brighton one and let it fly me all the way to Falmouth! If I can somehow communicate to it that you've got chips then I'll be there in ooh... a few seconds? ubblol

Thoreau

1,643 posts

Posted:
*hides chips* eek actually I'm quite scared by the prospect of a brighton seagull... i think i'd like you to keep right where it is!

I shall concede in this fight, your seagulls are bigger than mine, i like my eyeballs and i'd quite like to keep them biggrin