Forums > Technical Discussion > Beginning Custom wick and poi construction

Login/Join to Participate

DoktorSkellSILVER Member
addict
475 posts

Posted:

I have just begun swinging poi recently, (like weeks recently)

The fire poi that i bought in my local store are from a brand called
(Pure Flame) they are australian made, and not trying to complain but they are of very crappy quality with lots of exposed metal around the wick
area, a very poor quality wick locking mechanism and even the wicks that they came with (god forbid) use hollow aluminium shafts.

I have studied designs of better quality poi's and have decided to build my own for myself and friends whom i intend to introduce to this art.

Almost all of my stainless steel components i have sourced to my local ship chandler. handles i am having hand made at my local leather shop, and a few misc pieces i am having ordered from Melbourne like Torpedo Swivel's.

The only problem is Wicks. frown
i have studied a few of the wicks available for sale here on home of poi and other sources, but is there anyone out there that can give me advice on the best way to build kevlar wicks?
Having good equipment is important to me in whatever i do, so i want to make these right.

Also i have been juggling and contact juggling for quite a while before i decided to pick up poi's so if anyone wants to chat about those smile

Thank you, Dankeschoen,

Fair luna bright, fair luna moon
it shines at night but fades too soon
fair luna moon, fair luna bright
forever we dance
we dance under starlight

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
there is a good article you can get to via one of the buttons above on how to build various types of wicks.

let's see... ah, here it is:

https://www.homeofpoi.com/articles/fireheads.php

the wicks available from the HoP store are very high quality and well priced, but I feel obliged to make my own wicks regardless - I do a few extra things to them which I prefer to have. It is also good experience I think for all fire performers to get familar with wick contruction, if for no other reason than it helps promote good gear maintainance habits.

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

mtbeerGOLD Member
ARRRR!
529 posts

Posted:
Welcome to HoP!
I have a couple wick building tutorials on my homepage:
https://home.carolina.rr.com/dhmtb/poi/index.html
I would highly recommend the hybrids. They use less kevlar and are relatively simple to build.

"My skin is singed but it heals my heart and with glowing pride I'll wear my scars." -Davey Havok

DoktorSkellSILVER Member
addict
475 posts

Posted:

Thanks a lot MT.

Your page is really good. i realise that i must've gained at least +350 n00b points for this thread because of the information that is allready posted on HoP, but i would rather hear it from the horses mouth if you know what i mean.

Anyway, your page was really helpfull thank you

forever we dance
we dance under starlight

Matthew_NeSILVER Member
Northeast USA Firespinner
122 posts

Posted:
You could also take a look at this site:

https://www.crossroads.net/a/firemaking

There's a good tutorial there on making cathedral wicks with little metal exposed. Enjoy!

DoktorSkellSILVER Member
addict
475 posts

Posted:

Hey Hexus.

That website is going to look pretty good when its finished.

Its good that your making it XHTML compliant. There are a lot of bad websites out there.

Thanks for your info, my local sells Kevlar so i think i will start making my own wicks for my custom poi's. I really want as little metal sticking out of them as possible.

forever we dance
we dance under starlight

Matthew_NeSILVER Member
Northeast USA Firespinner
122 posts

Posted:
If you mean that the site that I gave you the link for was mine, then you're wrong, sorry. Crossroads is made by Adam Rice. But my firespinning site is in my profile, if you want to take a look.. it *is* XHTML compliant. Hehe. Here's a link to my own site:

https://firejive.gsgcomputing.net

Enjoy!
EDITED_BY: heXus (1106120575)