Page:
DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
I see ibeefy8 has been doing these and I've been wanting to expand them for quite some time so seemed like a good time to do so for anyone who wants to learn or has any tips and advice for them.

Name: Propellors

Family: Contact

Desc: To rotate the poi around the body, without wraps or clamping, around any part of the body, vertically in any wall or wheel plane or any horizontal plane.

eg.....as a poi spins clockwise around your arm and the weight comes upwards, you can find the balance point to maintain the rotation the poi around your arm, (but without wraps maintaining increased friction like the "suicide" wrap) It's very similar too isolated staff and devil stick propellors although has many more variables to control due to the flexibilty of the poi body and thus quite a lot trickier IMO.

Currently I'm up to a consistent 8 beats, have been over 10, which is nice, but it won't keep me happy until I can make it infinate(ish).

I have found that the control of speed is the most difficult aspect, once it gets too quick it tends to fly off but to slow it down can start the poi wrapping around you. Speed is very dificult to control but must be the key to controlling infinate propellors.

Tips, advice, experiences all welcome as usual biggrin hug

Let's relight this forum ubblove

i8beefy2GOLD Member
addict
674 posts

Posted:
Wow 8? I thought I was doin good with three! I agree that the balance point and speed control are key to getting them infinite. I recomend just practicing the motions with one poi to get the right motions. Then you can learn them while using only the hand to spin the other poi so as not to intefere with said motion of your arm overall.

There is also a continuous version of this wrist contact wrap / propeller thing that does not involve actually being perfect at performing it. If you can do a number of them (One will do, but it's easier with three or more rotations down) you can transfer between wrists left to right to left to right. Its kinda like a continuous staff roll... only.. with poi...

Also, if you can do this with your foot, you can modify it a little bit to wrap just a little... enough to put some upward momentum in it for a toss up. biggrin

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
I think its funny that a lot of the tech spinners are working on the same moves at the same time, all over the world Although I really havent been doing these and trying to get them perfected, I have been doing them just here and there like if I drop a poi or something. This has happened a lot as of lately to me, like Ill see some stuff Ive been working on on a new video someone posts or in a new concept thread someone comes up with. Just a bit odd I think.

Anyway, back to the matter at hand... Dont you need handles that are pretty equal to the poi heads weight to get these right? I usually cant get more than 2 with the way my handles are weighted. But thats ok, I need my handles weighted as they are for other things. Guess I just wont get too far into these which I really dont wanna do anyway. I have thought about making a pair of short double meteors though which this would come in handy for.

Oh, and also, these are pretty much exactly the same as devil stick propellers. If you can do those, you can probably do these pretty well.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

CirRusBRONZE Member
38 posts

Posted:
hmm you've got me on this one frown

do you have any video of you doing this or someone doing it?

A cute girl after I finished spinning fire at this party :
"OMG ur soo hot!" biggrin

I love being a fire spinner

i8beefy2GOLD Member
addict
674 posts

Posted:
Well iCon, it's the hundred monkey theory... For some reason we evolve our moves close to the same time... Of course I'm sure that's attributal to our human natures and how we learn more than anything else... And on top of that I know there are some others who have been doing these for months now... posted somewhere round here...

My handles are socks tied on the end of the chains. So my weights are CLOSER to equal, but it occurs to me that handle weight would only mean having to move closer to the head to compensate for the lighter end. Should still be just as possible, just a little mechanically modified.

I will borrow my brother's camera and try and get one of these movies goin. There are several new moves I want to post up anyway. And I've been meaning to play with it so I can put in one for the COL 6 competition. biggrin

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:

Upload Omnimodus Dunc smile

POI THEO(R)IST

T&BBRONZE Member
Me
607 posts

Posted:
Admit it you all wann be staffer but your not cool enough so you play with sock ubbloco ubbloco ubbloco

Maybe I should change this too something abit nicer, humm no I still think your all Ccensoredt

i8beefy2GOLD Member
addict
674 posts

Posted:
Actually I am a staffer! But its winter here in Ohio and it's hard to play inside with a staff right now... So instead I am seeing how many of my staff moves I can transfer into poi (Thus: contact poi) I'm doing one handed weaves now too, so it's even more like a staff. biggrin

Yes, I'd love to so some other videos with this stuff in it. So much of these "new moves" exist only in text form and are so much harder to figure out that way.

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
hey beefy, you should get some meteors, if you wanna transfer lots of staff stuff you'll have lots of fun with them biggrin

ok, todays progress, I realised two things about powering propellors today; you can either move your hands up and down or right to left, (just light one-handed butterflys) and you can also mix up both. I've noticed that side to side increases speed quite dramatically and the timing of the up and down can help to reduce the speed. A nice combination of the two depending how the poi is moving has gotten me up to a consistent 10 and occaisional (2 in 10) 12 beats. Mucho happiness today bounce

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
right, after not being able to sleep till late last night due o not getting up till gone 12 from new years celebrations I was playing and cme up with this...

The sideways and up/down motion is totally dynamic and movements at any point across varying angles is possible and often used to propel the propellor. In simple terms you can move your arm up/down, left/right or across the diagonal. Up to 180 degrees of movement (or 360 if you count both points of movement) I got up to 17 beats last night so the magic 20 can't be far away, nor the infinate (crosses fingers, touches wood, repeats mantra "I can propel, I can propel)

Once I figure out how to shift and edit footage from my camera to my pc I'll post something up.

I see this thread is being read but little useful info is being posted by anyone else, does anyone else have anything useful to add here?

duballstarSILVER Member
slack rating - 9.5
2,216 posts

Posted:
erm.. useful stuff? umm last time i was playin with these i was trying to get a horizontal double corkscrew on the go but it's a long way off.... not really helpful but slightly informative... ubbrollsmile

It is our fantasies that make us real. Without our fantasies we're just a blank monkey' - Terry Pratchett

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
today is a happy day, cuz last night I hit 22 beats biggrin bounce bounce2

It was enough continuous motion to see a glimpse of infinate control and felt like the shiznit! Shite, now I gotta do it in all directions on all limbs and move my body aswell as doing two at once. Feck.

Which reminds me, haven't seen Laura about here for a while, I'm sure she's got some useful tiperoonies for us!

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
just the two at once you reckon duncan? tongue

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
ubblol one is hard enough to keep going! Although at Brizzol we saw that lady with the toothbrushes doing three at once so anythings possible biggrin

elastaaddict
645 posts

Posted:
hello peeps!

ICoN - yes you need weighted handles, I generally have a ratio of 1:3 handle to head, but each to their own.

As for tiperoonies? what more can I say? Practice!
22 rotations is great though... I must practice more to be worthy of being in your presence again Duncan! wink

What I've been enjoying more than just plugging away at constant propellors though, is going in and out of them more (holding the propellor for as long as poss of course) but when I lose the rhythm working it into a throw or a wibble, or FUN! warping it into a horizontal propellor (which are fairly constant now. woop.) - But I think this still helps to improve propellor consistency, whilst avoiding too much frustration and allowing scope for more inventiveness.

Actually, just this evening I was playing with ways of moving the propellor half way around in a flower motion and then warping the plane to a horizontal propellor. It looks really nice if you bring the vertical propellor up high and then bring it round to a horizontal motion above your head - which you can then elegantly swing down in front of you.

hoorahclap

oh and I've added a couple of things to the other [Old link] thread - there's now a bit about weighting in the first post, and some more ideas thrown in.

there's nothing quite as fulfilling as a tasty airwrap

if you're full of sh!t, at least you're fertile

"we are all flowers growing in God's garden... and that is why he spreads the sh!t around" - David Byrne

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Yey Laura's back bounce hug

I've been trying to work the propellor in lots too, that's why I've been try to learn infinate so I can come in and out at will as smoothly as possible. When are you back in the yookay Laura? You'll have to let me know so we can have a contact day smile

The flower pattern sounds cool, gonna give that a go later if I understand your description right biggrin

I find handcuff wraps/wibbles/propellers all work nicely together and flow quite well, but that's more for a one poi routine (watch out for new video from me in the next few weeks called "who needs two" wink )

Trying to nail two handed/one poi contact isolations, but I think it may be impossible without equal weights unfortunately, and I don't like my handles i]that heavy frown

elastaaddict
645 posts

Posted:
I think one of the most important things when trying to perfect propellors is to get the entry right.eek If you get a good first rotation, the rhythm normally comes quite easily, so I´ve been practising swinging the poi at varying speeds and in different positions around the body before going into the propellor - it really helps with your control. You need to isolate slighly to go into the propellor smoothly.

Really looking forward to the vid dunc! bounce

And i was back in the yooK over Chrimbo, but am now in Austria again, probably not to return for about half a year - excpet maybe for Glasto. But am thinking I´ll be back in Brizzle in late August or September. wave

"we are all flowers growing in God's garden... and that is why he spreads the sh!t around" - David Byrne

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
hey if you're here for late August (and not at EJC) you can come to PLAY festival biggrin

Good tip on the entry! I've been trying same hand entries quite successfully but not different angles. Cheers! biggrin Dunno bout the first rotations thing tho, I find you can make or break them on each rotation but that's all down to control I suppose. Nothing like a good recovery but I'd rather avoid them if I can!

See you in a few months wave

elastaaddict
645 posts

Posted:
just wanted to add - it is easier if you do the propellors on two fingers - like the devil stick motion.peace

also looks very nice to switch between wrist/hand/two fingers propellors.

two-finger propellors are harder to catch straight into, but looks really nice to do various throw-propellor-throw-propellor tpye stuff just using two-fingers.

been starting to get them both ways now. It gives more scope for 3-poi juggly type tricks with a mixture of wibbling and propellors.... multiplexing in one hand (sounds like an oxymoron but wait) is still a bit beyond me, but there is also scope for catching two poi on a mix of arm/wrist/hand.... oh I cant wait for the day when techie poi discussions will include site swap too smile

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Written by: Elasta-sta-sta-sta-staaa

h I cant wait for the day when techie poi discussions will include site swap

ubblove It'll make life sooo much easier! biggrin

You know what Loz, I've never tried it on my fingers! rolleyes I can't beleive I never evn tried once! Gonna try that later.

I've managed two arm single poi propellor now, it's nice for extending the passes between arm

smile

elastaaddict
645 posts

Posted:
Written by: Dunc-unc-unc-unc-unccccc

I've managed two arm single poi propellor now, it's nice for extending the passes between arm

Yeah sweet man ubbrollsmile

and you know that wibble thing you mentioned: reverse Btfly - RH underarm throw - Rarm catch - wibble to left arm - suicide hyperloop thingy holding LHpoi?
I dont quite understand the direction of poi for going into the suicide??

I've been doing a similar move but with one less wibble:

reverse (outward) Btfly - RH underarm throw - Larm catch - propellor - suicide holding LHpoi

You make the Larm catch on the outside and when you do the propellor, the poi are then swinging in the same direction, which makes the suicide hyperloop not too tough.

Have I misunderstood it, or is your "wibbled poi" spinning in the opposite direction to the held LH poi?

*smears jam in face*
Lx

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
*wipes off jam with YOUR wooly jumper* tongue

I've done that one you mention (it's a little trickier to IMO) and mine is exactly the same for going into suicide loop except that Rpio is on the inside while it's hanging off the left arm, whereas yours is on the outside hanging of the left arm.

So the left poi is still spinning and going ACW when you go into suicide loop....I think.

Make sense?

smile

elastaaddict
645 posts

Posted:
what does IMO and ACW mean?

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
IMO = In my opinion

ACW = Anti clock wise

rolleyes have you used the internet before?! tongue

Although I have a correction to my above statement, when I do this little combo I start with both poi going clockwise not in buttefly...sorry!! I didn't realise till I was playing last night rolleyes

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
anti clockwise? is that some sort of perversion of the english language?

it is CCW - counter clockwise!!!

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

BoomShankarGOLD Member
95 posts

Posted:
In My Opinion?> AntiClockWise? thats my guess..

sounds like you've got it down a lot more than I have, but what's been helping me recently is throws into and out of propellers, like when it starts messing up throw it for one beat, and sort of scoop your arm over the top of it to get back into the propeller in the same direction.
can't wait til i can propeller both poi at once, so I can start learning all my doublestaff moves.. biggrin

contact poi: so much fun to be had with just 1 poi smile

progger

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
*COUGH*

Damn yankee doodle dandies wink

BoomShankarGOLD Member
95 posts

Posted:
whooops! biggrin
EDITED_BY: BoomShankar (1111075326)

progger

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Yeah boom I've found a little way to extend the propellor with throws, but it seems the better I get the smaller the throws get until it's just a case of the poi not being on my arm as I do the circles as apposed to actually being thrown and caught in propellor.
Have worked on some big propellor throw/catches but don't get the chance to be out in the open or under a tall ceiling very often so they're a bit lame.

Any tips for propelled catches boom?

smile

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
I got a 63 beat propellor last night bounce The magc 100 can't be far away.....

ubbrollsmile

shen shuiSILVER Member
no excuses. no apologies.
1,799 posts

Posted:
having just come into this thread and having read it all the way through (something i am not known (by me, at least) for doing), i must say that i have enjoyed immensley this glimpse into the world of the tech spinner. from the humble beginnings of i want to break 10 propellers consistenly to viciously eyeing up the magic 100...

got the taste for it now, i have...
that techie feeling... that addiction...

oooOOOooo
spinning to ever increasing spirals, hmm?
the art is transcedental...

those that know, dont say. those that say, dont know.

Page:

HOP Newsletter