Borathmember
64 posts

Posted:
Wasn't quite sure where to put this, but here seems to be a safe bet.

I've broken my wrists several times and torn the cartilage in the right one. I experience almost constant pain and will likely be on painkillers for the rest of my life unless some alternative can be found as the doctors have pretty much done all they can. Unsurprisingly, this means that spinning poi hurts like hell after a few minutes and I end up paying for the pleasure for days afterwards.

I was simply wondering if I was alone in my 'I love it but it hurts' boat, and if anyone knows of any decent supports that are flexible enough to spin in. All mine are too rigid.

smile

I can't be evil; I'm wearing pink.

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
what I would do is work on changing your style - you can move a lot of wrist movement to your fingers if you try. I doubt you can take ALL the movement away from your wrists, but even 50% will likely help you out a lot.

this may mean you have to move your finger grips up a knuckle and maybe even change their design - the self locking double loop leather thong design popular in many part of the states, but rare in the UK from my experience, works pretty well for this - I myself spin from the 3rd (last) knuckle of my index and middle fingers, as it allows extra degrees of freedom in terms of added joint flexibility.

while shifting movement away from the wrist may make your spinning a little awkward for a while, but I bet you can do it pretty succesfully and it will facilitate developing your own unique style!

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

The Real Fryed FishGod's illgitament son
1,489 posts

Posted:
as for a flexible support, im assumeing you have tried just a regular elastic bandage (like an ACE wrap), you could try medical tape around your wrists, it may give more support, i know i have used it in the past, but i haven't sustained the injuries you have...........

they make braces fo whats called carpal tunnels syndrom, the brace it self is not flexable, but, going along with what van said, it does alow for alot of motion in your fingures, and takes alot of strain off your wrists.........

best of luck amigo hope you find some thing

You can't avoid pain by fencing yourself from it.
Some times you need the help of others more than anything else
But you have to let them close enough to help......
People want to be needed, I found that out too

NoddyToe Poking Bad Boy
2,865 posts

Posted:
I torn a cartalidge in my knee which means i cant do any of my running preformaces as good now frown

my advice is to get a support bandage

Remember.........YOU LOSE!!!

MandSILVER Member
Keeper of the Spitfire
2,317 posts

Posted:
Try wrapping zinc oxide tape (not too tightly) round your wrists.

I have problems with my wrists (not as bad as yours though).
I got physio on them (from a Great Britain Kayak Team physio), and was told to do this for going mountain biking or kayaking.

I'm not too sure what it does, other than give support, but I was told specifically zinc oxide tape. shrug

-Vanize's answer also sounds sensible-

Lets steal a spaceship and head for the sun, and shoot the stars with a lemonade ray gun.

WryTerraThe reason we say "European"
912 posts

Posted:
Written by: vanize

the self locking double loop leather thong design popular in many part of the states, but rare in the UK from my experience

Good point, vanize! And as it would happen, I have the pair Spitfire gave me. So appropriate advice this time too smile

Oh and, Mand, where do you get zinc oxide tape? Doesn't sound like a B&Q or Baddhams Pharmacy pick-up...

"We have done the impossible and that makes us mighty" - Mal Reynolds

"I can't tell the difference between an electron and a cat" - Brother of a friend

Borathmember
64 posts

Posted:
Thanks for all the advice guys; certainly a few avenues here that I'll start exploring. Being winter and cold isn't helping things so just laying off for a few weeks might be good for now, but I'll start trying to find out what works best next year.

I can't be evil; I'm wearing pink.

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
Some of the kids I have taught have automatically put the loops over the wrist itself and spun from there. Maybe try anchoring it at your wrist with an extra long loop handle and / or having the cord come through your fingers. I just tried it with flags and it kind of worked. will limit some stuff but with Vanizes style suggestions its an option. The only problem may be that its not easy to slip off quick if you plan to use it with fire.
Good luck

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
actually it is pretty easy to get them off - a bit slower than non-locking ones, but all you have to do is flex your fingers a couple times and they loosen completely, and this can be done very quickly.

the beauty of the design is that the faster you spin, the tighter they become because of centrifugal force, but once you stop spinning, the centrifugal force is gone and they are once again not tight.

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
Written by: Quix

Oh and, Mand, where do you get zinc oxide tape? Doesn't sound like a B&Q or Baddhams Pharmacy pick-up...

boots.

smile

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

WryTerraThe reason we say "European"
912 posts

Posted:
ahhh thankies coleman smile

"We have done the impossible and that makes us mighty" - Mal Reynolds

"I can't tell the difference between an electron and a cat" - Brother of a friend