Forums > Social Chat > Oh my god this is wierd

Login/Join to Participate

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Ok, so I am sitting in my lab right now, and my workstation is near the door. I just caught a whiff of what can only be potsmoke. It just lasted a few seconds, but I went out into the hall and I definately smelled a trace of it.

Can't figure out where it came from, though. Nobody would be smoking it in their labs, the bathrooms are way down the hall, so it's not from there, so my only conclusion is that it must be some professor who's in his/her office with the door shut...but who? It's not my prof because he's not here today.

And why?

And no, there's no chemical that anyone around here would be using that smells like that. Nobody is doing research on cannabinoids, either. This is really strange. I mean, obviously there are a lot of people in neurobiology who use drugs, but at work???

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

the mind gap.old hand
829 posts

Posted:
you sure it wasn't just an olfactory hallucination?

wherever you go, there you are.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by the mind gap:
you sure it wasn't just an olfactory hallucination?
No no, I'm certain of this.

-Mike

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
i think he wants to smell it, in hopes of finding it to score a puff puff give...hee hee\

Super'

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear--not absence of fear.

- Mark Twain

SpiralOolering Man
729 posts

Posted:
I love it when that happens

I used to wlak through the street smoking pot at my old town and used to love some peoples reactions when they caught a whiff of what I was smoking
bit like hiding in plain sight really.

master sodiummember
536 posts

Posted:
hey, welcome back spiral. haven't seen ya in a while.

I used to smell the good ole green alot of places that I was certain no one would toke. so I'm guessing there is something fairly common that has a similar smell, or something that triggers the memory of mary jane. either that or someone might have toked on break and their clothes left the sweet aroma. and the final possibility is that it mighta been a cannabis free cigarette, or something similar, which smells like grass.

or maybe someone was hittin it up in their office

you can't have a war against terrorism because war IS terrorism.it's not about worshipping fire. its about making the fire want to worship you.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I am pretty sure it was potsmoke. It's just a question of "WTF?"

I think someone was firing one up in their office. Either that or toking it up in a fume hood hoping that would hide the smell...

-Mike

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
I thought you weren't allowed to write the name of God.

Meh

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I didn't capitalize it. I dunno, I'm trying to break the habit just because it calls too much attention to my religion.

-Mike

the mind gap.old hand
829 posts

Posted:
i suppose you could take it as meaning that pot smoking is now an acceptable pastime where you work.

wherever you go, there you are.

dromepixieveteran
1,463 posts

Posted:
Is it so wrong to smoke weed?

At work?
Why not?
I love being stoned and again usually perform better in those conditions (xcept for that bloody staff)...

MANY people smoke weed, uni profesors included and might I add the most crazy druggies I have met are involved in that lovely field of pharmachology (or some associate)....

My point is why is it such a big deal? People smoke weed all the time I smell it all over london, constantly...

Anyways I'm sorry for being biased but I just dont get the point... Lots of people have a drink at lunch, some of us would rather spliff it!

Much love, drome

JUGGLEwithyourmind!

legionmember
73 posts

Posted:
never mind. it'll basically be legal here in britain by the end of the year anyway.

We all float down here.

IdubIHoP Lurker
272 posts

Posted:
I smoke at work, but then I don't do a job where I have to deal with complex & dangerous machines, intense formulas, nor do I have to deal with too many people. Infact my job's just quite chilled actually

I reckon the person that was smoking was probably using a "Secret Pipe" type thing, can't think of any brand names. But they just look like tubes, you can unscrew them and stick some weed in, they put themselves out, leave no smoke traces except for when you exhale.

Spot on they are.

And whenever you smell dope you mostly look for a spliff. And whoever lit up had put it away before you smelt it. Mega-Subtle.

[ 25 July 2002, 23:06: Message edited by: sub ]

*Oh, just for a minute,* my bed said.
"Don't lie to me," I grumbled.
*But you're so tired...*

dromepixieveteran
1,463 posts

Posted:
I'll smoke a quarter to that...

JUGGLEwithyourmind!

IdubIHoP Lurker
272 posts

Posted:
I've very very very very nearly run out
No money till middle of next week

A quarter, aah the memories, oh it was last night, oops caned it again

*Oh, just for a minute,* my bed said.
"Don't lie to me," I grumbled.
*But you're so tired...*

SupaflyBRONZE Member
TNT
173 posts

Posted:
Nice! I work for a conservative bank and am always surprised at the number of "Executives" who hit the pipe. My friends and I worked in the Chemistry Labs all throughout college and we used to turn on the hood fans and smoke up before Organic Chemistry. Also made some very interesting bongs out of Erylemeyer Flasks, 6" Fluted Funnels, glass t-squares, and plenty of plastic tubing.

Fear the evil monkey!

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by dromepixie:
Is it so wrong to smoke weed?

At work?
Why not?

Because in the U.S.A. it is very wrong to smoke weed in public. I don't like the false puritanism, either, but you can lose your grant, your tenure, everything if you get caught using illegal drugs at work.

quote:

MANY people smoke weed, uni profesors included and might I add the most crazy druggies I have met are involved in that lovely field of pharmachology (or some associate)....

My point is why is it such a big deal? People smoke weed all the time I smell it all over london, constantly...

Anyways I'm sorry for being biased but I just dont get the point... Lots of people have a drink at lunch, some of us would rather spliff it!

Much love, drome

Around here, any sort of drug use while at work is taboo. We know it happens from time to time, but people are working with dangerous chemicals (strange neurotoxins), dangerous organisms (various mutant and antibiotic-resistant forms of E. coli), and what-not.

Yeah, I've come up with some of my most profound stuff while under the influence. I was on LSD when I realized *why* DNA is a helix...and *why* helices in general are so common in molecular biology. I've also done some wonderful DNA topology work while under the influence. It helps when the lines I draw on the paper can come off the paper and float in front of me in 3-D. People spend years writing computer programs to do just that, and yet those programs can't do as well as my brain with a bit of "assistance."

At home, sure. But not at work. Not in this country, anyways.

-Mike

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Supafly:
My friends and I worked in the Chemistry Labs all throughout college and we used to turn on the hood fans and smoke up before Organic Chemistry. Also made some very interesting bongs out of Erylemeyer Flasks, 6" Fluted Funnels, glass t-squares, and plenty of plastic tubing.
Mine is made out of a graduated cylinder. It's not the best-designed thing, but I made it and it works. 500 ml of pure joy.

I call it "Science." Hence, "Better living through Science."

-Mike

dromepixieveteran
1,463 posts

Posted:
So if it was in another country would that make it ok?

I was just wondering why it affected You so much... You seemed kinda apphaled (sp?) at the possibility...

I dont understand the big deal (once again) its not your grant/money/education down the drain...
I can deported inmediately (wont go into the reasons) for doing anything 'bad' or illegal in this country but I still dropped acid and didnt get paranoid...

Even if its illegal (whatever it is) I wont allow a rule on paper and in a deluded existence to dominate my personal freedom or my life...
If they lock me in chains so be it; I would have done something stupid if I got caught anyways...

Much love, drome

JUGGLEwithyourmind!

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I'm not appalled, per se. Amused, yes. Confused, yes. A bit surprised, yes.

And yet, I find it all very reassuring that someone in the establishment is willing to go against the grain.

-Mike

Raymund Phule (Fireproof)Enter a "Title" here:
2,905 posts

Posted:
Just my two cents but, if its illeagle dont do it, if you want to change the law, dont try to by breaking it.

Some Jarhead last night: "this dumb a$$ thinks hes fireproof"

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I dunno. Martin Luther King Jr. liked that model...

-Mike

FireMikeZLaguna dude
1,438 posts

Posted:
Religion (afterlife) and LSD (by a prof at school):

Timothy Leary is watching you!

[ 26 July 2002, 08:03: Message edited by: FireMike ]

molten cheers,

~ FireMike

FireMikeZ@yahoo.com (personal messages welcome, no promo spam, please!)
Laguna, California, US

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Raymund Phule:
Just my two cents but, if its illeagle dont do it, if you want to change the law, dont try to by breaking it.
Ray, dude, excellent quote - 'tis one of the wisest things i've ever read from ya!
/looks around nervously

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

FlyntSILVER Member
Intrepid Penguin
5,635 posts

Posted:
bender, im with you..... i mean, there has to be a reason why its illegal in the first place, yes? So change the law, instead of breaking it, and you wont have to worry bout losing grants, or screwing up.... `

Currently on the right side up of the world.

Raymund Phule (Fireproof)Enter a "Title" here:
2,905 posts

Posted:
Personally my views have changed about pot (specifically, no never done it) but if it were leagle, I would have no problem trying it out. Since it is illeagle, I aint gonna do it. Sorry the temperary high isnt worth my stripes, my pay, nor what little freedome the Corps gives me!

Some Jarhead last night: "this dumb a$$ thinks hes fireproof"