Page:
Frederick the RecklessBRONZE Member
Troupe Leader and founder, Fire and Steel
241 posts

Posted:
What are the world records for height of blast for both male and female firebreathers? Width? Record for time sustained, if any? I need to know what my troupe might aspire to achieve.

Frederick the Reckless,
Troupe Leader,
Fire and Steel

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Reckless indeed.

You could try searching on google.

I know there is no information on HOP about info like this.

Ive been here a long time and still make mistakes you see...

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Most people on this forum tend to see breathing fire as fairly dangerous and not worth the gamble.

However, about a month ago there was a thread dedicated to this, as two World fire breathing records were set at Stonehenge and in a studio in London for the 50th anniversary of the Guinness Book of Records.

There was a couple of people on here involved in that (Frodo, maybe?!)

Best not to bother though, mate.

Getting to the other side smile

Mistress_MaledictiHeaven doesn't want me, and Hell is afraid I'll take over
192 posts

Posted:
I was at the Stonehenge thingie...was fun. Bob's current record for height is 4.10m, I think - but he's a total professional and he's being doing this for 30 years.

"Abashed, the Devil stood and saw how awful Goodness is"

241 posts

Posted:
firstly, i do not need to be informed as to the dangers... been at breathing for 3 years now. fully aware of the risks. secondly, the reason for this thread is that i have googled and come back with too many sites claiming to have world record holders and none of them list any statistics. now on to looking for those better informed who don't simply wave a finger saying "tsk, tsk, tsk..."
after all, i do believe this board is about better communication and respect for those who perform with fire. i mean, come on... everything we do is dangerous to an extent.

Frederick the Reckless,
Troupe Leader,
Fire and Steel

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
If you are looking for world record statistics on anything you need to look at the Guinness world record site

Hope that helps.

Take Care smile

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

241 posts

Posted:
"If you are looking for world record statistics on anything you need to look at the Guinness world record site "

if it were that simple, i wouldn't be here... thanks anyway.

Frederick the Reckless,
Troupe Leader,
Fire and Steel

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
8,428 posts

Posted:
Right under the Guinness symbol top left is a "contact us" link. why don't you just ask them?

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Written by: Frederick the Reckless

firstly, i do not need to be informed as to the dangers... been at breathing for 3 years now. fully aware of the risks..........now on to looking for those better informed who don't simply wave a finger saying "tsk, tsk, tsk..."
after all, i do believe this board is about better communication and respect for those who perform with fire. i mean, come on... everything we do is dangerous to an extent.

On this board we like to ensure that any threads that mention fire breathing also refer to the dangers associated with it.

This is, in part, because we get a lot of newbies here; also, any complete beginner typing 'fire breathing' into a search engine could end up reading the thread.

As fire breathing is considerably more dangerous than other fire arts (such as spinning) and many people have died/spent serious time in hospital (including some regulars on this board)- we like to stress the dangers on any fire breathing threads.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

241 posts

Posted:
well, i tried that. so far it looks like they will only read your questions if you intend to make an attempt, so i filled out all the mumbo jumbo, and sent it in. hopefully they will answer my question, but who knows? if they do, i'll post the answer here.

Frederick the Reckless,
Troupe Leader,
Fire and Steel

241 posts

Posted:
onewheeldave...
understood, believe me. when i get people wanting me to train them, i inform them completely of the dangers. i have an archive of burns, and scars to match. you wouldn't (or would?) believe how many guys come up asking me to train tehm, saying "dude, that looks like a good way to get chicks!" without even once contemplating the dangers. i always inform them as to the dangers and give them my number. i don't get theirs. if they're still interested in learning, they'll call me... to date, not one of the guys i mentioned has called me.

only one question remains... how do you insert the link to the firebreathing faq in your comments? i'd like to be able to insert it into emails i get from people who contact me for instruction.

Frederick the Reckless,
Troupe Leader,
Fire and Steel

241 posts

Posted:
never mind, i just realized it's automatic.

Frederick the Reckless,
Troupe Leader,
Fire and Steel

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
im trying to remember where i heard this... i think a friend perhaps has a video with one shot of the highest recorded breath, apparently the guy ended up at cirque du soleil or something. ill try and find out more for you.

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

FireTwirling.netnewbie
7 posts

Posted:
I am not approving of firebreathing but it is intrested in know the facts and records.

-Gecko

241 posts

Posted:
no response yet from guinness, but i'm being patient for the time being...

Frederick the Reckless,
Troupe Leader,
Fire and Steel

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
They took ages to get back to me

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

241 posts

Posted:
the word from guinness is 31 feet or 9.4 meters. and now i know, and knowing is half the battle... GI joe....oops.sorry, wrong channel.

Frederick the Reckless,
Troupe Leader,
Fire and Steel

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
just to beat a dead horse - keep in mind that burns are the LEAST of your worries when it comes to fire breathing. chemical pneumonia is much deadlier.

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

241 posts

Posted:
Written by: vanize

just to beat a dead horse - keep in mind that burns are the LEAST of your worries when it comes to fire breathing. chemical pneumonia is much deadlier.

Let. It. Go.
Or at least try to understand that I was aware of the risks, from the boo-boo's to the nightmare scenarios, before I even contemplated firebreathing in the first place.

/soapbox

Frederick the Reckless,
Troupe Leader,
Fire and Steel

Mark PBRONZE Member
old hand
1,031 posts

Posted:
Fire breathing is something to be respected.

Chemical pneumonia is something that even a very skilled firebreather may have to deal with.

It isnt pleasant and most of the older members of this site know someone that has had to go through the unpleasantairies of the above.

Breathing is an amazing effect but does have its dangers,

Play safe all and take care,

Mark P xx

BurningByronmember
340 posts

Posted:
Vanize was probably refering to this comment:

"i inform them completely of the dangers. i have an archive of burns, and scars to match."

Which could be interpreted that you believe an archive of burns and scars shows you have experienced the dangers of firebreathing. Once you have experienced Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome (ARDS) then you know the real dangers of firebreathing. I believe this was the point that Vanize was trying to make.

I agree with Onewheeldave, any time firebreathing is brought up on HOP the dangers need to be stressed.

Dont take it as suggestion that you are inexperienced, reckless, a beginner or whatever. You know the level of experience you have had, you dont need to prove this to us. The reason why it is stressed has nothing to do with experienced educated firebreathers, and everything to do with newbies who go "wow, that sounds cool, lets give that a go!". Remember both experienced fire performers and novices frequent this forum.

HOW TO FLY 101:
step 1. Throw your self at the ground.
step 2. Miss.

241 posts

Posted:
for the record, i have contracted chemical pneumonia. two of my troupe members have also contracted chemical pneumonia. this is also a danger i inform potential students of. as i said, i inform them completely of the dangers. therefore, everyone please get off it.

Frederick the Reckless,
Troupe Leader,
Fire and Steel

241 posts

Posted:
and burningbyron, i understand where you're comng from, but if it's not a suggestion that i am inexperienced or reckless or a beginner, then why is nearly every comment in this thread directed as such? the funny thing is, i asked a simple question, the answer to which i found outside the group. the response i get, rather than the answer to my question, is a blanket statement that does not for a second give me the benefit of the doubt that i know what i'm doing. and just about every comment that followed went the same direction. so please don't take this the wrong way people, but after 3 years experience, and having gotten the scars, boo-boo's and chemical pneumonia, i think i can say I KNOW WHAT I'M DOING, OK? now go find someone who's never done fire breathing before, and there your use of soapbox tactics will be justified. i know, i use these same tactics to weed out the dilletante kids that want to do it for kicks. (for the record, i drifted off commenting directly to burningbyron quite a bit ago) therefore if you think this statement is targeted specifically at you, it isn't. but if you think it is... what's that tell you?

Frederick the Reckless,
Troupe Leader,
Fire and Steel

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
I think you'd be better off coming to the conclusion that people here are highly wary of fire breathing rather than telling me to "let it go". and frankly with a handle that includes "reckless" and proudly stating that you and a couple of your troupe members have had chemical pneumonia makes me wonder even more if you are listening to anyone or anything - including your own experience. Say something that actually makes me feel like you really mean what you say about knowing all the dangers, and then I'll drop it.

-v-

241 posts

Posted:
Written by: vanize

I think you'd be better off coming to the conclusion that people here are highly wary of fire breathing rather than telling me to "let it go". and frankly with a handle that includes "reckless" and proudly stating that you and a couple of your troupe members have had chemical pneumonia makes me wonder even more if you are listening to anyone or anything - including your own experience. Say something that actually makes me feel like you really mean what you say about knowing all the dangers, and then I'll drop it.

let's see. you don't realize what a stage name is, and how it's usually chosen to give character... you don't understand that having stated that i have contracted chemical pneumonia is stating that i am aware of what it can do, rendering your warning moot, and you don't understand that scars and burns are the result of firedancing, not just firtebreathing. now, since you demand so much of me, i will say this: our experiences with chemical pneumonia were caused by what we refer to as "trickleback." this is what we call it when the residual fuel coats the back of the throat, and slowly but surely trickles down. some of it is going to go into the lungs. one of my troupe members got more than the other two of us, when he developed hiccups at the worst possible time. he has a permanent scar on one of the lobes of his lungs. the other two of us got off easy. it was like having a severe chest cold for the the other two of us. not one of us breathed into the wind. the wind did not suddenly change, nor did it just suddenly gust when there was none before. the fuel just sort of coated the throat, and gravity did the rest. as a result, none of the troupe does any more shows dedicated solely to fire breathing. we always push for more variety in what we are hired to do, and if we don't get to mix it up, we don't take the gig. there, now can we stop having a flamewar?

Frederick the Reckless,
Troupe Leader,
Fire and Steel

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
my first post wasn't aimed at you, but rather a general post so that all the less informed peeps who are on HoP don't read a random thread about fire breathing without getting an education about it, as I don't rely on them taking the time to go read the fire breathing auto-link.

My other point was that saying you have burn scars and have encountered multiple occurances of chemical pneumonia doesn't give the illusion to many people that safety is a big concern. I know it probably is, and if you perform often, then it must be if you are still healthy.

I do, however, see that you are an experienced fire breather and I do give you respect for refusing to teach yahoos who just want to have a go at it (beleive me, I KNOW how persistant these people can be sometimes). I don't personally firebreath because I'm the kind of person whose luck just doesn't support an activity like that.

All we are really on about here is that the art of fire breathing, when mentioned here, be mentioned in a context of its dangers and not flippantly. This is expecially true with us oldtimers who have been on this board forever, as we very nearly lost a very good friend of ours to ARDS a while back, and while we wouldn't say "don't fire breath", we do want to be very sure everyone who reads about fire breathing on this board is very aware of the issue. Since new members are coming and going all the time, that means that every thread about fire breathing gets lots of precautionary statements posted to it. It has nothing to do with you in particular, and we aren't likely to lay off it anytime soon.

So then, maybe I didn't say it quite so nicely before, and for that I appologize if anything was taken personally. And now that I have fully explained my position, I will in fact drop it.

peace

-v-

241 posts

Posted:
i think we both can drop it, vanize. it's clear we understand eachother, and you have my deepest sympathies for the near loss of your friend. no one deserves a scare like that. we count ourselves among the lucky ones, you have my word on that.

Frederick the Reckless,
Troupe Leader,
Fire and Steel

BurningByronmember
340 posts

Posted:
Written by:

and burningbyron, i understand where you're comng from, but if it's not a suggestion that i am inexperienced or reckless or a beginner, then why is nearly every comment in this thread directed as such?

I feel that you have simply taken each comment as one directed at yourself. I dont believe this was the intention of the people that posted. Even if you still believe the posts were personal attacks on your ability, just remember that you dont need to prove yourself to anyone here.

Written by:

i think i can say I KNOW WHAT I'M DOING, OK? now go find someone who's never done Fire Breathing before, and there your use of soapbox tactics will be justified.

AGAIN I will point out that there are other people that read these threads, people who do not have the same knowledge or experience as performers like ourselves. This is why hoppers will post these opinions when the topic of firebreathing comes up. It is dangerous for a newbie to encounter a thread about firebreathing without also being exposed to the possible devastating consquences of it.
This is why the "soapbox tactics" are justified in this context.

Note that I did not take your post as a personal attack, nor did I have the self centredness to assume that any of the defensive comments were directed at myself...

HOW TO FLY 101:
step 1. Throw your self at the ground.
step 2. Miss.

Mags The JediGOLD Member
Fool
2,020 posts

Posted:
Hehehe. This thread makes me laugh. A "flame war" on a fire spinning forum? Hehehe

To be honest, I've never breathed fire. What's more, I tend to moan at people who do. (Just ask Brad) I go on, and on, and on, and on, and on, until they listen to what i have to say or knock me out. Generally the former.

One thing I have realised recently (especially about Brad) is that regardless of my personal feelings, it is still perfectly acceptable for people to want to breath fire. In that case, I ensure that they are fully aware of the risks, and have spent a good amount of time practising with water or some other non flammable substance first. Once that's done, it's their problem.

Fred mate, don't take any of this stuff personally, it is our responsibility to make sure that any little kid (or whoever else) who looks at this site doesn't get the wrong idea and go and blow him/herself up. Which is why if you mention Fire Breathing, we'll all jump up and down and say how dangerous it is.

I have the utmost respect for performers who develop and practise the skill of breathing fire, but absolutely none for irresponsible idiots who do it without a full understanding of the (potentially fatal) consequences.

Rock on.

devil

"I believe the cost of life is Death and we will all pay that in full. Everything else should be a gift. We paid the cover charge of life, we were born."

Bill Hicks, February 1988

241 posts

Posted:
yeah, byron, and all on this list, i understand the way things work on this list now... nothing is really aimed at me. sorry. had a few bad experiences on other lists in the past, where people did actually attack outsiders. i'm getting off MY soapbox now... should have done so awhile ago. so sorry for my defensive stance unjustified as it clearly (NOW) was.

Frederick the Reckless,
Troupe Leader,
Fire and Steel

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
8,428 posts

Posted:
hug We just want everyone to be safe! hug

Page: