Page:
AmanitaSILVER Member
157 posts

Posted:
Somebody here's got a bad-ass picture of themselves performing a move called the "Flower". The picture was taken with a 3or 4 second delay, and looks awesome.
What is this move, and how do I do it?

"Do not meddle in the affairs of Tower Cranes, for you are soft and would look better when squashed by a full concrete bucket"

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
[Old link]

smile

poi are going same direction and your arms are 180 degrees apart AT ALL TIMES (unless you are doing some variation of flowers)

if I am looking at you side on, so you bum is on the left hand side and your boobs on the right, you need to lock your arms at 12 o clock, 3 o clock, 6 o clock and 9 o clock, before going back to 12 o clock.

when you lock your arms, let the poi do one rotation before moving onto the next time.

so, when you right arm is at 12 o clock, you left arm is at 6 o clock.

when your right arm is at 3 o clock, your left arm is at 9 o clock.

when your right arm is at 6 o clock, your left arm is at 12 o clock.

when your right arm is at 9 o clock, your left arm is at 3 o clock.

Does this help in any way, shape or form?

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
heh
Thats my piccy

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Your poi dont HAVE to be going in the same direction nor do your arms HAVE to be 180 degrees apart as there are many different types of flowers.

In essence, flowers are just multiple beat separations that move. A separation, of course, is when you extend your arms so that each of your poi may spin their own circles instead of both spinning in the same circle.

Now there are tons of different types of flowers and explaining most of them can get awfully technical and confusing to most so Ill just tell you the best way Ive found to learn the simple 4 petal chase flower...

Start off by spinning fully extended circles at your sides. Your arms should be rotating at the shoulder, both spinning forward as if you were swimming. Now, when your arms are straight up and down, pause them so your poi do a single rotation. As your poi finish their separated rotation, continue with the extended circle. You can practice doing this for a while until you are comfortable with spinning the separation. Once you can do that well, add a second pause opposite the one you have been doing. So for instance, if you have been pausing when your right arm is pointing up and your left is pointing down, start pausing when your right is down and left is up. You should now be doing a two beat flower with both arms pausing at the top and bottom of an extended circle. Once youve mastered this, you can add in the horizontal pauses when your arms are straight out in front and back of you. As UCoF stated, a full 4 beat flower will be an extended circle with pauses at 3, 6, 9, and 12 o'clock giving you two vertical and two horizontal petals.

Once you have all this down, come back and tell us so we can get you doing butterfly flowers, anti-flowers, butterfly-chase flowers, and chase-butterfly flowers smile

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
You forgot to mention continously turning flowers too.

smile

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Eh, thats not its own family though... Just turning the ones mentioned.

We'll blaze a new trail,

-Me

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
But I DID forget to mention BTB flowers smile

We'll blaze a new trail,

-Me

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Eh?

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Nevermind...

We'll blaze a new trail,

-Me

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:

Hey, remind me to ask you to demonstrate some non 180 degree flowers on Sunday homie...

['Homie' in this case referring to Icon but could easily be used for MCP or UCoF in the future.]

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Kinudin (Soul Fyre)veteran
1,325 posts

Posted:
*twitches* NYC said homie wink wink wink

Word, dawg ubblol

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
NYC says homie all the time yo.

NYC is original gansta 4 life bizzach.

How come we never met Kdawg? I was chillin in your hood back in the day with Nyx ... but I aint seen whitegirl in forevah. You gotsta stay true to da east side. East Sieeeed.

Um... k bye. biggrin

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Will do. I do one real quick on Skunk's GWB vid if youve ever seen that. But will happily demo in person smile

We'll blaze a new trail,

-Me

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
As someone that didn't know what "flowers" were before this thread started..... I have to say I still don't know what the hell you are all on about! I know I'm not good at picking up moves from text discriptions but........

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

FabergéGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
correct me if i'm wrong, but would i be right in asuming that lots of peeps confuse flowers with fountains?

isn't valura's pic a fountain? i know it looks like a very pretty flower (and a very lovely one too) but i thought the move being done is a fountain.....

i would call the move ucof describes a "flower". this move creates a totally different pattern, each petal of the flower is more clearly & individually defined, and not overlapping like in a fountain.

feel free to correct me if i'm talking thru my bum smile

My mind not only wanders, it sometimes leaves completely smile

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
oh no no no (said like the Churchil dog)

Im gcan assure you valuras picture is not a fountain.

When you know poi, you can tell the patterns you will get on photos as you spin.

thats when the art starts....

smile

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
umm

i thought valura's picture was a fountain too faberge...

tried to screen grab anti-spin flowers from a video but failed miserably.

but to be fair, i've never seen a decent photo of a flower (as icon describes them) so i guess my opinion is pretty worthless here shrug

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

FabergéGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
i thought that flowers are those cool flowery patterns in part of meeniks vid....

where it's clearly evident that his arms are at 180 degrees, and the poi are going same direction in split time so that each petal stems from somewhere central on the body (front or behind) at the same time, and outwards in opposite directions.....?

now i'm confused...... confused

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
meenik's flowers on 'dervishly yers' are anti-spin flowers - poi spinning one way, arms rotating the other.

these leave trails like no other poi pattern i know and are what i tried to grab angelblue

regular forwards or reverse flowers as icon describes give trails much like a fountain but with far fewer component circles.

in valura's picture, if you and count the edges of each circle in the pattern (making sure that you only count each circle once), you should count 12.

that's waht made me think its a fountain.

if it were a flower like you describe jon, you would count only 4...

as an aside about counting:
tracing the circles in valura's beautiful photo (hug) you can't count each circle at say 12o'clock or 3o'clock as some of these points are obscured - you may end up counting some circles twice or some not at all - you kinda have to move the point where you are counting anti-clockwise as you go round the pattern.
and with that observation i finally realise how glass' weird way of counting fountains works biggrin

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
But Cole, are you not assuming that each arm only goes round once?

SLR cameras (and/ or fast arms) mean that you can do multiple beats of a move in a single photo.

and if im wrong...I blame Valura for misnaming the picture tongue

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
Written by: Unsaturated Carpets Of Freedom

But Cole, are you not assuming that each arm only goes round once?

SLR cameras (and/ or fast arms) mean that you can do multiple beats of a move in a single photo.

well i am kind of.

obviously there are multiple beats of some kind of move here - otherwise you would have just one circle for each hand rather than a trail!

but it does look like someone is facing the camera...

to get that picture from spinning flowers you would have to do petals at 12 points or do 6 petal flowers and offset them by just a little on the second rotation.

i guess you could look at a fountain as a flower without separation between the arms though - its is made up of long arm circles with wrist circles at a number of points around them...

valura is blameless - i blame you for assuming things and for everything else that has ever happened jon wink

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

FabergéGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
hmmm... i'm still confused so.....

i'll continue to call meeniks flowers flowers though, that's what i've always called them...

i don't think i know the flowers that icon described....

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
Written by: Fabergé

i'll continue to call meeniks flowers flowers though, that's what i've always called them...

i don't think i know the flowers that icon described....

confused they *are* meenik's flowers.

nick had a series of small videos on his site showing a few of his flower variations - the anti-spin one being the ultimate example (and that turning butterfly thing is super hardcore too but we'll leave discussing that for now!).

what icon describes is what nick spins on his video except icon describes the arms rotating forwards rather than backwards.

here, have [Old link] to some treasure my friends smile

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

FabergéGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
aahh, i getcha!

i had missed the bit about the forward & anti-spin. i've only ever seen meeniks "anti-spin" flowers. and they are one of the most impressive moves i've ever seen (and can't yet do)

must look out for the kind described by icon....

thanks cole hug

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
In Nick's second video I believe he does both normal and anti-spin flowers BTW smile

"Moo," said the happy cow.

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
plug1

plug2

ive got a few more thoughts on flowers since then and the terminology is a bit dated, i refer to 'reverse' flowers which i now call anti-spin, here refered to as meniks flowers.

icon, btb anti-spin flowers? eek

T wave

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

musashiistarring Skippy the green llama
1,148 posts

Posted:
aha! so thats all anti spin is? here I've been trying to learn something else..Still a good trick tho, hmm

First intention, then enlightenment..
Ars Pyronomica

" Life is programmed. Whether death is programmed or not is yet to be determined."

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Bleh, I can just barely do non-turning forward anti spin flowers. Lemme get em turning first then Ill work on BTB smile

We'll blaze a new trail,

-Me

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
there's photo of me doing staff flowers n my gallery. but my dad took it so it's rubbish frown

forget i spoke...

Meh

musashiistarring Skippy the green llama
1,148 posts

Posted:
speaking of whych, anyone cracked(consistently) the transition between butterfly flowers(turning) to weave flowers? I can never repeat it, but it happens so smoothly for me(occasionally) that I can't even begin to see what I did to recreate it when I want to.

First intention, then enlightenment..
Ars Pyronomica

" Life is programmed. Whether death is programmed or not is yet to be determined."

Page: