Forums > Other Toys > The official HOP juggling "I just learnt a new move" thread

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Well, seeing as we are starting to take over the

"Offical HOP "I just learnt a new move" thread", I thought we should contain this bit just to jugglerisng and the throwing and dropping of balls, clubs, rings and other miscellaneous juggling props.

Today I mothered learning 441.

I had a few throws of 531 but only 1 catch. I think my 5 is too high.

Note for the mods: I DEMAND on behalf of the jugglers on this site, as has been done with the aforementioned "Poi moves thread", that this one is made a sticky thread.

Otherwise its just favouritism really....

willworkforfoodjnrSILVER Member
Hunting robot foxes
1,046 posts

Posted:
Yeah I skipped 8, I still have trouble qualifying 6 and TBH after 7 I'm only really interested in flashing as many as I can so sticking to crossing throws makes sense. I only tried the 9 flash maybe 10-12 times and haven't tried since. Was just interested in how far away I was.

Um, newness... Some silly 3b trick thats never gonna make sense in text, its kinda (8,[4x2) with the 2 thrown across the body with the 4 and caught by the same hand in contortion. Exits into shower. Mucho funness.

Working hard to be a wandering hippie layabout. Ten years down, five to go!

meshunderlayBRONZE Member
Juggler/Spinner
612 posts

Posted:
You're right, I'm not really sure how the 2 is caught but I'm sure it's nifty. I have some notions, I'm probably just too tired for siteswap right now though.

I know it's not a Juggling Accomplishment, but I met Thomas Dietz tonight, he was just hangin' at the local juggling club and then went out to dinner with all of us. Twas nifty.

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
3 ball cascade. Up to about 30 catches on a good run.

grin

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

MiKe7Gravity's Favourite
124 posts

Posted:
Holy hell! You met Thomas Dietz!!!!

*dies*

Juggle 'til I drop!

Live_in_a_spinBRONZE Member
Dude where's my Poi?
383 posts

Posted:
just got 3 ball mills' mess.
But hey im happy with that.

Live life in a spin!!!
but if you fall don't come crying to me!!!

Hunting robot foxes
1,046 posts

Posted:
Got some silly kick tricks with my new underfilled balls. Machine drops into side-foot kick back into machine, repeat on the other side.

My penguin box is improving too, got 6 rounds yesterday grin

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
Still cascading. Got up to about 20 consistent.

Recommendations for further learning required: continue till I have this utterly nailed (ie, continue a cascade as long as I feel like I want it t go on) or find more stuff to do?

Hunting robot foxes
1,046 posts

Posted:
oooo! Fun new passing pattern! 3 people, 3/6 count rotating feed, with the jugglers walking the pattern of a cascade on the floor. Not got it flowing yet but we managed a complete rotation of the pattern.

Also managed a 3 staff shower 1up > chasing the sun 360 > head catch = FAIL and a nice long sit down nursing my scalp :s

Hunting robot foxes
1,046 posts

Posted:
aston there are two things I think you should be starting on.

1) Outside/reverse throws. Go back to two balls, throw the first one as normal then move your other arm out to the side slightly and throw that ball over the first in a wide arc.

When you have that try a single reverse throw in a cascade. Remember that it needs to be a wide arc so the next ball can go under it as normal. Now with the other hand.

Get that good and you have 3 new tricks - Every RH reverse(or every LH) = half shower. Same ball always reverse = tennis. Every thow reverse = reverse cascade.

2) 423. Ignore the numbers for now. Try to juggle 2 in one hand. the idea is to keep the balls in 2 columns so they go up and down next to each other without swapping. Then the other hand.

Start with 2 balls in the RH and 1 in the LH. Throw the first ball vertically up in the center, and start doing the columns thing with your LH. When you're ready switch - catch the middle ball in the RH so you're doing columns on that side. Then build up till you can switch continually, each hand will do 2 throws in a row each time.

Those 2 tricks will set you up for most of the different styles of juggling, be it bendy armed 3b, numbers, siteswap or whatever smile

Don't forget to start and finish your practice with long runs of the cascade.

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
Cool. Thanks for the advice. Will start on reverse throws and carry on messing about with columns.

Managed to get a few runs of over 60 for the cascade. Throw from my left is still leading a little, but I am working on it.

smile

Quite addictive stuff, only waited so long because I did not want to keep picking stuff up, but since I was throwing my poi *anyway*....

Hunting robot foxes
1,046 posts

Posted:
Boooo.... I learnt how to drop a 5b cascade after 20 catches. Every time... Dunno whats happened frown

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
Yay!

Managed to get the cascade reasonably solid. And outside throws with my right hand are ok in most cases (got a short run of the RH half-shower), but the left is wobbly.

Any hints for columns? Have not really tried them much, but they are all over the place....

Hunting robot foxes
1,046 posts

Posted:
Um, mainly just practice practice practice! Only real tip I've got would be to make sure your forearm is straight when you make each throw. That means that, unlike the cascade, you'll have to shift your entire forearm sideways between each catch/throw.

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
Thanks a lot for all the advice. smile

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
I thank you for that also, willworkforfoodjnr, my columns actually look like columns now and I can get a few different kinds going on with hands switching which does the middle one and that sort of junk... but still only while nobody is really watching me.

hug

PuffSILVER Member
The Magic Dragon
134 posts

Posted:
Not really a move as such but me and a buddy had some cool steals going on last night. Good fun.

Let my words, dear friends, be treasures. Weightless golden butterflies that hang before your eyes for seconds, then are gone. But the dust of truth and beauty that their wingbeats leave behind will settle on your soul and make you happy. - Edward Monkton

Hunting robot foxes
1,046 posts

Posted:
Had my first real juggling session in a few weeks last night and somehow I've gotten better through replacing practice with cakes over christmas!

4 rounds of 5 ball high low shower (d171), dropped the 5th round :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Hows everyone else coming on?

MiKe7Gravity's Favourite
124 posts

Posted:
Don't you mean b171 [or as I like to think of it (2x,6x)(2x,ax)]?

Ho ho ho, I feel like a real siteswap geek.

I've been randomly working a bit of 66661 as of late. As far as 5 ball swaps go it's pretty easy. Also I've been throwing a few (2x,8)(2x,4)'s into my 4 ball shower as a swish way to change direction.

[How rad would (2x,c)(2x,8)(2x,4) be to change 5 shower direction!?] - if only it wasn't always wet and cold outsite and my right hand wasn't buggered. smirk

Juggle 'til I drop!

Hunting robot foxes
1,046 posts

Posted:
Oops yeah you're right Mike! I usually think of it as f***n high shower with a 4b shower underneath heh heh.

How are you throwing the 6's in 66661? I have trouble avoiding collisions with it.

And we don't talk about reversing 5b showers, because then I'd have to admit I can't do it backwards and that would make me look silly wink

grin

MiKe7Gravity's Favourite
124 posts

Posted:
I'm mostly throwing regular inside throws for my sixes. It seems to just miraculously work. I tried throwing them in columns today though and that works well too and maybe looks better, I'm not sure.

I qualified my opposite side 5 shower a while ago but I don't think it's strong enough either (My opposite side 4 high low shower is sketchy enough!), I just thought it would be super cool.

I also tried 7441 today as a neat alternative to 7333. It's kinda cool.

I think I'm going to go attempt a run of 633 mills mess now. (I should probably just shoot myself already.)

Juggle 'til I drop!

Hunting robot foxes
1,046 posts

Posted:
7441 with the 1 behind the back or head FTW

If you like that try doing 7531 with the 7 & 1 behind the back. And film it. I like watching peoples expressions when throwing really high BTB.

I can almost do 7531 completely BTB, but never quite got out of it, and I look like a fool most attempts.

I'll give the 66661 some work this weekend at BoB and see how I get on smile

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
Just to bring this down to Earth....

I am making progress with outside throws, I have the RH half-shower sort of solid and a few throws for the LH.

Also, not sure how to put it into siteswap, but I got a few repetitions of a vertical throw (4?) in one hand with the other two doing a normal cascade on their own (3?).

So one ball is going up and down while the other two are alternating as in a cascade. Hmmm.... *googles siteswap*

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
I'm trying to get the 3 ball cascade with a throw into a head stall, then dropping the ball from the head stall back into the 3 ball... I've achieved this ONCE properly and a few other times getting the ball kinda sloppily up there but not down again. I think I need to practice the throw into the head stall more on its own...

Anyone got any tips? grin

hug

Hunting robot foxes
1,046 posts

Posted:
Bend your legs a little - you don't have to thow as high and you can move upwards to 'catch' the ball. And use saggy beanbags. Doing catches elsewhere, like on your elbow will improve your feel for them too.

ooo, and figure out something interesting to do with the other 2 while you're in the headstall!

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Hahah, hows holding them up parallel with the head stall?

Hell, I might as well ask for another tip in here... tongue2 Umm I'm getting a 1 handed 3 ball shower going.. up to about 3 or 4 catches or so, would it be easier to do low, quick tosses or higher, slower?

The issue is getting lots of accuracy on the higher throws is harder than lower...

So whats a good height for a 3 ball shower in 1 hand?

hug

Hunting robot foxes
1,046 posts

Posted:
Its all personal preference really. To really learn it properly I would do:
- runs really high with 2 balls, concentrating on getting the flight paths perfect.
- runs really high with 2b in a 3b pattern, so 2 throws then a gap, again working on the paths
- short runs of 3 really high (all of these ^^^ train accuracy)
- short runs of 3 really low (trains speed)

After a couple of weeks try and do the 3 at a medium height and hopefully you'll find that its much easier.
EDITED_BY: willworkforfoodjnr (1232718550)

MiKe7Gravity's Favourite
124 posts

Posted:
And don't forget to practice with BOTH HANDS!!! >:|

-

wwffj: I think I'd better try 441 btb before working on any other btb crazyness. smirk

Juggle 'til I drop!

Hunting robot foxes
1,046 posts

Posted:
Maybe maybe! You'll get it pretty quick I reckon though.

Nothing to report besides the 7b qualify is creaping gradually closer...

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
A-synch 4 ball qualified. smile

hug

MiKe7Gravity's Favourite
124 posts

Posted:
Yuss!!!! 4 balls is the bestest. smile

I managed to get one round of 7441 with the 1 btb (into and out of out of fountain) on both sides but I had to do it kneeling down and my 7's still kept hitting the ceiling. frown

Why must it always be wet outside?

I also just managed 3 rounds of 7531 on both sides [with a proper 31 unlike the sorta (2x,2x) thing I was doing before].

Juggle 'til I drop!

Page: ......