vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
so I just noticed (after several weeks!) on another forum that they have member ratings - people arbitrarily rate you and it displays the average of their ratings as filled and unfilled starts just above your avatar.

eek How rude! I'm glad HoP doesn't have that!

I also noticed all the moderators have 5 solid stars (the best rating) - is that because everyone is trying to suck up to the mods, because they get to set the rating themselves, or because you have to have 5 stars to become a moderator?

I shudder to think what my member rating would be like here...

(and no dirty jokes about rating your own member! rolleyes)

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
HoP had ratings for about 4 days when we got an update I belive.

But yes, very bad idea

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
I musta been sleeping...

-v-

nearly_all_goneSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
Ratings are pretty evil.

We once made a pact to get the lowest rating possible, and then went on a quest of meanness. Which lasted for about 3 messages.

The thing is, people are only going to bother rating if someone pisses them off.

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I think there should also be another forum for ugly people. I hate having to post on the same threads as all of them.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
oh..... sorry NCY. I'll try to remember to take my ugly face to only threads you haven't posted on........*replaces the paper bag on her head so as not to scare NYC*

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

spritieSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,014 posts

Posted:
aww, skully. I actually really like your avatar.

And, yup, vanize, the HOP boards did have the member ratings for about a week once upon a time until we all said we didn't like them, and they got removed.

GidgBRONZE Member
Super Gidg!!!!
8,506 posts

Posted:
clap Yeah for a site that listens to it's members! bounce bounce2 bounce bounce2

Growing old is mandatory; growing up is NOT.
Proud member of the HoP DPS.
Sanity is a highly overrated state of mind.
I'm normal ... it's everyone else that's crazy.

Gidg

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
I recall removing ratings was one of the things I did on my first day as a HoP Admin a year ago. It's a bad idea, especially with the amount of flirting that goes on here it'd be more a rating for flirting and post whoring than anything else.

Obviously we do still keep secret ratings which only Mods can see. Be no fun if we didn't.

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
Post whoring? Here? On HoP?
never

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

Hanzveteran
1,328 posts

Posted:
On the rest of the message boards I am on (I am on 8) we have stars.. BUT they are not about being rated on niceness/looks and all that, it is to do with the amount of posts that u make... say your a newbie, you have one star, then as you progress and make more posts u get more stars... does that make any sense?
So maybe some of those msg boards are the same... unless the board is for actualy grading how people look.... *shrugs*

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
i like the way slashdot does theirs, where you rate the post of the user and its relevance, humour, etc, and i spose that could then reflect back on the poster, with an average or something.

"beg beg grovel beg grovel"
"master"
--FSA

"There was an arse there, i couldn't help myself"
--Rougie

Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
Yeah, that's defo a better idea MiG.

At the end of the day, I guess ratings would only become a problem if people actually cared what rating they had. And I doubt many people would.

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
did someone mention post whores?

obviously it doesn't apply to me biggrin

I liked the rating system when we had it. But that's only cos i had more points than anyone else.
Definitely shouldn't reinstate it though. Cos I'm not having Pounce beat me at that as well.....

ubbrollsmile

Meh

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Written by: nearly_all_gone

Yeah, that's defo a better idea MiG.

At the end of the day, I guess ratings would only become a problem if people actually cared what rating they had. And I doubt many people would.

tum-te-tum...

*runs for cover*

Meh

Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
Ha ha point seen and noted

Thoreau

meghannenthusiast
302 posts

Posted:
ratings r evil, i was at a camp 1 time and found out the guys had rated all the girls on dateability then they told me id gotten 2 /10. i was well gutted and couldnt tlk 2 ne of em properly for the rest of the week! i fear thinking back i may actulay have cried as i was at that time really hating myself and was really depressed n e way! i think peeps care more than they would like to admit

ive learned
life is tough... but im tougher

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
well, ALL fire performers (and potenatial future fire performers) are way more dateable than 2/10! That is just the way it is, and everyone who is not retarded or completely out of touch with relaity knows this. Clearly the guy didn't know what he was talking about, and all of his ratings are unreliable at best!

-v-

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Its true, you spin therefore your hot.... smile

Love is the law.

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
apart from the fact that any rating given by idiotic guys on school camp mean diddly-squat cos their taste in women is likely to be a load of crap. so i suppose what that rating really tells you is that you are 8/10, becase guys like that are never deserving of anyone. except for perhaps those girls that they gave 9/10 cos they are prolly the tarty kinds.

that was such a rambling ramble.

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...