Page:
meepSILVER Member
344 posts

Posted:
It's my birthday in oct, and I'm after glowpoi. I've informed my mother of this, and was met with much confused over the phone....

I will have bday money from both her and my dad (The joys of divorced parents wink) and so I'm looking at somewhere between £60-80 on glow poi.

I've seen loads of different sites, but i don't know what is the best value for that price range. Anyone who has used glowpoi, what are your opinions on the best ones to buy?

I coudl also add some of my own money and make it more smile

Lynne weavesmiley

"But what would you do with a brain if you had one?"

Dorothy Gale

JamethGOLD Member
enthusiast
378 posts

Posted:
To me it depends on where you are, what you want to do with them and how experienced you are.

One of the ball ones is probably best for learning - they're softer than flowtoys, even the ones with crystal cases. My first set were the 3 colour strobe one, and probably the best value for money because I bought them at a festival and didn't have to pay postage (a significant factor in rural Aus).

Flowtoys poi have a big advantage in using rechargeable batteries - most of the ball ones use watch batteries (I think fire mecca have a rechargeable version) which gets expensive if you're using light to practice with.

These days I use flowtoys crystal to learn stuff, duo for parties where we can't have fire for whatever reason or when I want to groove for hours. I still take the ball ones for peeps who want to have a go for the first time.

Of the ball ones the prettiest but also the most expensive are the multicolour ones like the picture above - HOP pro series do that too. Mind you, I only use the option that switches through all the colours, though I do alternate between strobe and fade.

*UltraPoi*GOLD Member
Ultrapoi.com
49 posts

Posted:
Hey Friends,

If you are looking for a proffesional set of poi to really shock and awe but not break the bank, think Ultra Poi. We have got some footage for you displaying some of our new modes that are amazing! The full production of the new generation of Ultra Poi are due by summer (finnal price to be under $100!!!) after a few of our other products are released.

Our most current gear that has been set loose is the Dropz 4 Ultra which is an LED microlight that displays all of Ultra Poi's modes in an ultra compact form, they are being sold by our partners at www.Liquidemotions.com.

New Modes!!!

Non-Https Image Link

<br />Ultra Poi, LLC<br />Member

hooza angelSILVER Member
Momma Hooza
24 posts

Posted:
i was wondering which poi to get also, i have mostly use regular glow sticks for practice so im used 2 gettin the crap smacked out of me, and hav also used glo poi that were my brother-in-laws, not interested in sock poi or fire poi (dont wanna catch myself on fire lol). the flowlights look really cool, but not wanting 2 spend a ton of cash.

thirteenBRONZE Member
The Death Card
195 posts

Posted:
point of note: flowtoys also has incredible customer service. I'll be making a thread about it in a second, because it's just that good.

The dawn has come
And the wine will run
And the song must be sung
And the flowers are melting
In the sun

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Hooza: Sock poi are seriously awesome to learn with. Unless there is something in particular that you are trying to do that socks will get in the way of, make some. They rock.

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
I hate poi that stretch so much. For sock poi I would use something cotton like the cone poi from home of poi. But a lot of people like stretchy sock poi so you can try it, super cheap.

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

Stnd54SILVER Member
42 posts

Posted:
I'm also looking into getting some glow poi and flowlights seem to have a pretty good reputation and look pretty awesome, as well a being relatively cheap.

I do second the recommendation of making some sock poi though, if you're used to glowsticks the weight will take a bit of getting used to but after I upgraded my cone poi from tennis balls to ~130g of rice I found I much preferred the extra weight.

hooza angelSILVER Member
Momma Hooza
24 posts

Posted:
ok, so sock poi good for practicing w/ basically, i did end up buyin som flowlights w/ the cases and also went ahead and got the swivel handels. im better w/ manipulating the glowsticks better than poi.

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
SoD: I find that, depending on the sock, the stretch is not really bad.

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

hooza angelSILVER Member
Momma Hooza
24 posts

Posted:
i just got my flows w/ crystals 2day and i absolutely love them, still adjusting to how they feel but picked it up super quick :))

Page: