Forums > Beginner Staff Moves > Ado-p's Learning new moves thread...

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ...
ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
*edit*

so i reckon this thread will hold a record of the new things and stuff im learning along the way, all input of any kind is welcome...

*edit*

*where was I? oh yeah here, The elbow, arm, arm elbow roll*

Its simple really, I cant do it.

I've seen some real nice clips of this move (Thankyou MCP/Glass) but I still seem to be missing somthing fundamental.

So I take the staff in my right hand, bring it accross my body under my extended left elbow and roll. extend left arm and let staff roll onto right arm. Bring staff back towards body on right arm

Now here is the problem, it just stops working there, I think i might be missing an extra beat/spin or something. Or it it could be the position of my wrist. Dont ask me what my wrist is doin, it goes all wonky in a natural reaction to the feeling of the staff falling off when i start bending my right arm on the way back in,

Any ideas?

If I can get this I'll move onto to trying to combine it with a shoulder rool and a turn to get it across my back and other shoulder.

I'm hoping to put up a clip soon, not of what i cant do but of what I can, after six months it's be cool to get some HOP feedback.

Love is the law.

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
ah but to much negative feedback makes you give up on the trick, and usually comes with a big bruise

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
*runs in and wiggles*

I did a half a steve!!!! (not a half steve now, a half of a steve ubblol) Now all i gotta do is get it up the other arm instead of down the other arm

*runs back out to practise more*

nb. I learned this from mcp's slack02 vid. thankyou.... hug

Love is the law.

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
am having no more luck at all with the steve.... frown

so last night was workin on

shoulder neck shoulder again,

still cant get it but I'm starting to realise the importance of shoulders rolls..... (a pook in ny showed me this shoulder roll, i wonder if she new how much it would help when i said how much i wanted to learn contact... bet she did... thankyou.... wink )

what i did get (at least four times out of a hundred) was

a continious elbow-wrist-wrist-elbow-back roll. when i say continious i mean it got around twice smile

AND dumdumdum

back roll (or halo roll)-elbow carry to neck roll - pivot (shoulder pinch thing) to back roll again.

(inspired by the clarity of king of bongos vid, nice one KoB)

This is my very first combination of moves and it actually feels like im doing contact staff now.

Than i broke my staff in half. So that ends that for a while frown ubblol

Love is the law.

Psycho_lemmingSILVER Member
Running hippy spinning lemming
15 posts

Posted:
Mmm... just wanted to post and say i lit my staff for first time last night biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin

but then realised how little i can do with it!
this i need to fix but its sooooo hard!

ooooh scary staff thread - not been here before - runs back to hide amongst poiers!

Fear leads to anger; anger leads to hate; hate leads to suffering...

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
no lemming.... come to the dark side... leave the alliance of poi...Mwahahahaha....

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
We've even got a secret handshake and everything.

heed the call of the staff

Love is the law.

Psycho_lemmingSILVER Member
Running hippy spinning lemming
15 posts

Posted:
secret handshake - need an :ooooooh: graemlin (picture 'the claw' scene from toy story)

i like my staff but my brain doesnt quite get the idea of contact moves, infact nor does my body so its kinda not happening yet!

its nice to pop over here... maybe i'll stay a while... wink

Fear leads to anger; anger leads to hate; hate leads to suffering...

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Well, havent posted here in a while. Been a bit slack on the old practise

So whats new

LOAAAAAADDDSSSS!!!!

I learned:

A STEVE!!!!!!!!

This is a steve

Written by: mcp

1) The Steve. (named after mushy pea Steve. Not any other Steve.)

Staff starts off in a palm spin, rolls down your arm, wraps your neck, rolls up the other arm to end in a palm-spin on the other hand.

To do Steve's continuously, all one has to do is transfer the stick back to the first hand. Ways I like to do this: as it rolls up the last forearm put the first forearm in the arm. Or throw it off the second forearm to catch on the first. Or a step transfer off the underside of the forearms, or a cool Not-mushy-Pea_Steve way of coming in with the first arm over the spinning staff and placing it on to that arm with the second arm.

For me, I learned by starting in left hand, closed grip spinning clockwise towards pinky finger. Grip off center, holding stick off center about a handspan up into thumb side of staff. Rotate and let go, staff rolls around onto back of hand and down arm. Found it very hard to get center of staff to back of neck. Now I know what a center mark is for… This was the key really. I had to play around a bit with the angle of my left arm and the speed of the spin to get it to wrap my neck properly. Once it wraps, I found it works better by letting it roll further around and dropping the right shoulder a littler later than I had been. Staff starts to travel down right arm doing its thing. Lift it up, voila. A steve.

I've never been so happy learning anything as when I learned this. I even hugged the women that was helping dort out planes and pace.

Glass, hands down, you inspired me to learn this. I saw you do it first. Thankyou.

Theres more!!!!

SHOULDER-NECK-SHOULDER!!!!

Left to right. Staff starts in right hand spinning clockwise towards right shouder. Torso twisted left. Wrap shouder, twist back straight and duck, twist right and extend right arm. The staff just seems to know where its going tith this one.

This is a Shoulder neck shoulder

Written by: mcp

1) The SNES. (Named since it wraps the Shoulder, NEck, Shoulder.)

So, the SNES, or the super nintendo! Start with the stick spinning inward, wheelplane, with an off-centre grip. You're going to spin the staff under your arm into your armpit and do a shoulder wrap, then when the staff is horizontal (still spinning) on the top of your shoulder, you're going to start turning toward the staff and ducking your head under the side coming up so that it can wrap your neck. (The other side of the staff is falling off your shoulder) Once it has wrapped your neck , you're going to turn another 90 degrees and get that other shoulder under the staff so it can wrap it and fall off the back. You then grab the staff. Other variations: doing the first shoulder wrap with the other hand. (And correspondingly catching it with the other hand at the end.) Doing it without turning. You will need to turn your torso/shoulders though in order to do the shoulder wraps.

King of Bongo, MCP…. Your vids sorted this out for me. MCP, didn’t understand a bit of your snes posts when they first went up, better now though smile

RWWWAAAAAAARRRRRRR biggrin

A sweet neck stop. Just plain old neck roll allowed to continue until it locks under my chin held by my shoulder. Just bounced it back in the other direction. Simple and sweet. A couple of steve like variations of this in horizontal plane also.

Much improved neck roll to back roll (pivot?)

Horizontal Elbow Pops. Right arm so far. Trying for a left arm elbow catch.

Horizontal Neck Wrap, Trap with arm/shoulder spin body, let go, duck - magic…. I got this from Robs Contact Thread. Nice one Bluecat.

Palming

Spinning over head- Palm spin (fast) Lean Forward, bring staff down behind back, pass to left, bring back up over head pass to right and let it spin until it stops by itself. Feels great doing a palm spin for this long. Hard to get from over head to behind back because of gravity and wonky muscle memory.

Lift/Throw up staff spinning into a helicopter with foot. Foot stuff is fun but also sort of impossible.

Staff lying across right foot. Twist with toe back. This locks the staffs against the leg. You can go back and forth like this, left then right. I find it helps with momentum if i go left first so it sort of bounces back towards the right. Lift leg flick/kick, step under staff and catch in heli.

If I could get it down my body to the position im lifting it from it would be a sweeeeettttt move. Any ideas? I know some of you guys are working on this sort of craziness… i'll have a read through the foot work posts later today. All helpfull hints appreciated.

This was all made possible by Bastano. My new blue stick. I think i've been really lucky. The balance is just right and its doing eveything i want it to do and more. Long grippy grip is helping a ton too. See Staff Construction Thread in Technical Discussion for spec.

Next up

Fish Tails. These just arent swimming for me. frown

Matrix's... (i'll let you know in about six months how this one goes ubblol )

Love is the law.

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
yay! Somebody else who names their sticks! Rawk!

I'm still trying to do matrixes the other way... That and Jesus the other way... I hate the other way...

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
the other way is nang man ubblol english is fuuuuuuunnee

ado-p come to london already, or ed when i go up

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
It's well nang.

But I'll bet it will look barry when I can do it.

biggrin

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
barry ? what the hell is a barry what does that even mean you deviant you

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
barry is a real word!

I made up nang. Or I possibly subconsicously borrowed it from penny arcade.

Barry means excellent in ned speak.

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
GET OUT OF MY THREAD!!!!!!

ubblol

Ben,

Lookin at late January for week long UK trip starting in Ed and anywhere else where people will have me. Flights are 99p. Yay for budget travel.

Love is the law.

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
this is the best:

https://www.penny-arcade.com/view.php3?date=2004-10-04&res=l

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
dont be so selfish u think that just cos you started it and its got your name on it that its yours huh punk huh HUH!! ubbloco

well if the stars line up right i may see u then

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Okay you have it then!

I never liked it anyway!

tongue

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
i hear you mcp!
it occurred to me recently that i steve, backspin, and matrix all in the same direction! eek although its much easier learning the second time biggrin

ado - a handy hint with the half steves which helped me enormously - if you stand straight up for the move - its more likely to backspin off the shoulder rather than wrap around the neck, but if you hunch your neck forwards as it first hits the neck its much easier to wrap around the neck half steve style.

cheers!

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
I can steve blindfolded in both directions.

That's the kind of thing you learn when you have too much time on your hands.

(and shows that the steve is a true contact move)

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
mcp eek

dentrassi.

sweet, will try that.

smile

Love is the law.

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
So,

went to see the boys and girls at the cork community circus yesterday. kickin myself that i didnt do this 10 months ago. These people are choc full of uber.

Staff lessons included:

1 beats, loosens up those wrists good. My first venture into double too....yay for doubles!!!

6 beats (may have to take up yoga for these). Dragon7 I finally understand your staff lockup vid.. smile

combos. a shotgun wrist turn cut in half with a one beat. its still two beats but looks completly different from a figure of 8.

apparently there is a seventh beat? Anybody?

Same hand catch behind back from halo roll. I'm thinking its possible to dot his whole move behind the back with arms entering and catching on opposite sides. ?

Staff isolations (very hard, very cool), isolating the flame, not the center.

had a bit more luck with fish tails. dropping my hand down a little seems to help.

steve seems to have left me for the moment (dont you hate that). though Dentrassi, your advice has helped alot. When i lean a little the staff is in contact with more of my body so i can feel where it is much better and even give a nidge in the right direction with a little shoulder shimmy. My first shimmy eh... is this the road to contact? Yay!!! biggrin

Love is the law.

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
ok you crazy kids, need some help here.

i've tried everything and i cant get this thing to spin.

back of neck roll (turn body 180) to halo roll (pivot?) I though i was doin it but the staff is not actually rotating on my back at all. its just fallin over really. an it don look so good.

mcp: cant find this in your uber book.

so how does it work?

seems like the shoulder had to push up to get the staff to rotate more. dunno, tis not happinin

oh and a jesus? (front halo part) do you need boobs to do this or what? its keeps falling down, coz of gravity like....

Love is the law.

Dr_MollyPooh-Bah
2,354 posts

Posted:
boo hiss to gravity, that's what I say

Um, I don't understand what you mean by a back of neck roll. So I can't be helpful there.

As for Jesus, I thought bosoms were more of a hiderance than a help.
How many rotations are you trying to do with it on your front to make it keep falling down?
Maybe if you leant back a little it would help...

*realises that she only recently got this one herself and is probably completely under-equipped to advise so calls for meg*

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Yeah I need some clarification too... Obviously you're doing a vertical neck wrap of some kind... Are you doing a vertical neck wrap where you bend your neck down in front of you wrap the staff over it, turn your back into it and do a halo, then turn more and come out on your elbows? Can that would be a pivot with a neck wrap entrance...

Jesus is not hindered by bosoms, but it's not exactly helped either...

You go into a jesus, wheelplane, under the opposite arm and the staff wraps that arm/shoulder, one end attempts to fall down inbetween your arms, then the rotation of the staff forces it to wrap the other arm.

But I would recommend moderation in all things. You've only just started... learn some flo with the moves you've got, clean them up a bit. (Cleanliness is next to Godliness...) come back to the hard combo moves later and you'll find you understand them more and get them quicker...

biggrin hug

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
insert 'vertical neck wrap' where i was talkin nonsense above.

i was thinkin that boobage would give the stick something to roll on. could be that im not leaning back enough though.

*looks around for padded bra*

*realises he's in work and will probably get sacked and arrested if it goes any further*

Love is the law.

mo-sephenthusiast
523 posts

Posted:
To quote the cat over [Old link],

Written by: bluecat

i think the jesus is hard if you've bosoms miss bam.
(omg, the implications in that sentence! )

monkeys ate my brain

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
youse is right mis mcp, about the moderation like

im not really worried about jesus for now. I've been trying to work out that pivot with neck wrap entrance, exactly as you described above, for about four months now though.

tis driven me 'craaaazzzzzzy' *sang in band boy voice

thankin you moseph, i leave off with the bra then ubblol

Love is the law.

Dr_MollyPooh-Bah
2,354 posts

Posted:
wise and wonderful as sir cat is, I'd trust meghan on this one
after all, she has bosoms of her very own and bluecat has to borrow them off redmen eek

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Bluecat with boobs? To quote eminem: Yuck!

Well the tips I can give you for the pivot are: Obviously coming out of a neck wrap the stick is going to be right on your neck, make sure it stays there, as you don't want it wandering around your shoulder. Halo rolls take place on the back of your neck. This is where the staff must be for a pivot. Not messing around on your shoulder.

Turn on the spot. Stepping backwards into the staff is what I did for a while and not only is it plane breaking, it's going to puch the staff away from you and generally result in fallage of staff or hurtage of you. Turn on the spot and turn FAST... (depending how fast the stick is going) The stick needs some momentum for this trick to work...

I think the window cleaners are here. I'm glad the blind is down so they can't see my red nose.

The timing has to be good. Try doing the horizontal version continuously to get the timing. Try doing it from elbow wraps (making sure to place the staff right on your neck) this may be easier. (or it may give you a fresh perspective.)

hope that helps...

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Sweet, thankyou very much ladies and gents. What your saying makes sense in my head. The shoulder shall be left to its own devices.

EXcept the bit about the red nose *holds moisterised tissue tissue over mcps nose and tells her to blow*

Stranger still. I can do this move no problem from 3 different variations of elbow wraps.

Horizontal... huh? Didnt think of that smile

now, how do you do it with doubles. ubblol

Love is the law.

Page: ...