jaeroSILVER Member
your new best enemy
246 posts

Posted:
I can do this wierd ass wrap with training poi where I wrap the string around my hands then pull apart to make the poi switch directions... I can do it with my chains when they aren't burning but I'm a little timid of doing it while burning. has anyone ever seen this move done with fire?

I'll get there too late if I shorten my stride, I'll get there too soon if I find me a ride, I'll never move forward if I try to hide this path that I've troden one step at a time.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
hug
Hehehe, that's one of the few wraps I can do!! Wayhey!!
My lovely friend Apsara in Cambodia taught me, and he can do it much, much better... but it's just about timing, practice and familiarity with your poi.
The poi should just wrap round your hands then bounce off and unwrap.
If you get that right, then the flames won't be near your hands for long enough to burn, but just be very careful that you've got it spot on before you set them on fire smile
Take care, have fun xoxo
PS: you will probably be told fairly soon to do a search ubblol

Getting to the other side smile

LurchBRONZE Member
old hand
929 posts

Posted:
watch out for exposed metal on your heads too, doesnt really matter how long it touches you you'll get burnt from it, wicks you can get away with touching.

Make sure you dont tangle them and tie them to your hands either, that would be a bad thing with them on fire

#homeofpoi -- irc.newnet.net Come talk to us we're bored frown

Warning: Please Do Not Jump On The Seals

Dragon7GOLD Member
addict
625 posts

Posted:
Yea u really need to cover any metal, but the kev shouldn't burn u for atleast 3 sec. That move has been on afew videos, u really should check them out (oh im assuming u mean weave wraps) but butterfly is WAY more dangerous, as Lurch said...there is a good chance they will tangle and handcuff your arms together eek

jaeroSILVER Member
your new best enemy
246 posts

Posted:
I'm not afraid of the kevlar burning me... but I got quite a few little burns all over my arms from that crafty little bolt that goes through it. I think I'm gonna get me a good pair of gloves. as I said, I can do it with the chains, but now I have to find me some gloves.... where oh where?

I'll get there too late if I shorten my stride, I'll get there too soon if I find me a ride, I'll never move forward if I try to hide this path that I've troden one step at a time.

Puresockaddict
406 posts

Posted:
I've heard these called handcuff wraps I think. Very nice - seen a lot on the glowsticking vids. Strugz (He's on this board somewhere...) has a nifty set of kevlar gauntlets which makes them a little easier. If you can get them to wrap around your wrists instead of your hands, you might be able to land them on your jumper sleeves and avoid burning yourself...

"Take that, math!"

Paddyback from the dead...sort of
884 posts

Posted:
I find it depends on the size of your wicks. I can do them no probs with the 2.5" wicks I bought from here, but it's not fun trying it with anything much larger (monkeyfists and the like). The heavier they are, the more likely (MUCH more likely) they are to get stuck on your wrists and burn. The force of the bounce insn't enough to get them going in the other direction (which it's so easy to do this wrap with glowsticks). TO compensate, twist yours arms one way while wrapping and give a good crank to help the unwrap when they reach your wrists. Timing is important.

For a cool variation try doing it behind your head while windmilling. It feel very intuitive...I got it the first time I tried when I thought of it. smile

MitziMember
6 posts

Posted:
well, i've done these hand wraps in my acts a couple of times now.
u don't have to be scared of the fire because it will only stay in contact with ur hands for 1 sec or so and u'll quickly unwrap them.
it looks nice, so just try it. devil.
have faith and nothing 'll hapend.
kisses

Mags The JediGOLD Member
Fool
2,020 posts

Posted:
Brad Fire figured out how to do a double hand wrap from the weave. Looks very cool, and allows you to change direction without turning round. So does the double leg wrap, but hands looks cooler. In fact it looks really cool if you do them both.

"I believe the cost of life is Death and we will all pay that in full. Everything else should be a gift. We paid the cover charge of life, we were born."

Bill Hicks, February 1988

TwirlyShoryuken!
233 posts

Posted:
I figured a nice way to go from forwards to backwards weave without turning round. I'm assuming most people know it but its nice.

It's pretty much just letting both poi wrap around one of your biceps simultaniously. From weaving, when you bring the poi to one side of you, you need to have your bicep at right angles to your body (like a one armed jesus, with a broken elbow so your forearm is parallel to the side of your torso.) Lean forwards and let the poi both wrap round the back of the bicep, then spring out into a reverse weave.

Davy

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
I do this move (the handwrap one) from a buzzsaw configuration most the time. I have no problems doing with fire.

Actually, I find the most of my skin on my arms below the elbows is fairly burn resistant - and even more so after sever years of fire performing. I still burn my biceps a lot though...

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

TuTuManBRONZE Member
Mushroom Fueled Frenzy
139 posts

Posted:
wear some gloves to be safe smile

::::does a little monkey man dance::::
You'll understand when you see his dancing feet

Mags The JediGOLD Member
Fool
2,020 posts

Posted:
I have successfully pulled off the double wrist wrap from the weave with fire. Didnt burn me self. There ya go.

Looks pretty too.

"I believe the cost of life is Death and we will all pay that in full. Everything else should be a gift. We paid the cover charge of life, we were born."

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
A move I somewhat recently made up is something of a hand wrap. Ill go from a weave and isolate it on the sides but as I isolate it, Ill catch the chains RIGHT at the poi heads and more or less stall it, and then throw em into a reverse weave. Its kind of a wrap/stall because it doesnt quite wrap, but has the same effect, but it looks like a horizontal double stall (since stalling both poi in chase mode horizontally is impossible).

Tried this one with fire once... And only once. Still have a scar on my finger from the damn metal ><

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

Mags The JediGOLD Member
Fool
2,020 posts

Posted:
I think thats what i'm doing, but instead of catching the poi, i just wrap them round the opposing wrists.

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
ICoN - I've been playing with those a bit as well, along with just general handcuff wraps.

Got some of the front->BTB hyperloops in Rev's thread and a bit of the axis twisting stuff as well. Lots of potential there for playing around smile

"Moo," said the happy cow.

DutSILVER Member
lurker
380 posts

Posted:
butterfly same-time double handcuff and bicep wraps are the *ish*. I lurve them...

... forwards and backwards.

-- dut

WRAITHnewbie
3 posts

Posted:
Hmm WRAPS ..Ahh NOW THIS I LOOVE doing ..

Got a nice combo .wrap.

While doing Weave I like slipping in a single chain neck wrap. then double chain neck wrap,
From there extinguish my left chain and reel it in to keep it out the way.
I lift my left leg so my ankle is behind my right leg, catch my chain, flip it up and forward so that the the head wraps up onto my right thigh, then I pull back to reverse the move out and go into a neckwrap to extingush the right chain.

Nice finishing move I came up with.

Well we like it.

That is not Dead which can eternal lie,
Yet with strange aeons even Death may Die.

MillenniuMPLATINUM Member
Hyperloops suck
595 posts

Posted:
Another fun handcuff-ish wrap: Airwrap wrist wrap.

Spinning in wall plane split time (basically that one little beat between weave and reverse weave when you're turning around), begin an airwrap about half way down your chains. Stick your arms out a bit, let your poi heads wrap on your wrists, making them reverse directions and unwrap. It looks insane because your chains are wrapped for a half beat, your poi stop, stay wrapped for another half beat, and unwrap. Quite fun.

Another variation is instead of pushing your hands out to make them wrap on your wrists, pull in your hands and stick out your elbows and make it a hyperloop double bicep wrap. My poi are pretty short, which requires the airwrap to wrap very close to my hands in order for the poi to hit my biceps.

Dragon7GOLD Member
addict
625 posts

Posted:
(Bumped for Raver)

1 hand should be "upside down". Because this has to do sith string/ chain length. There will always be one poi out unless the chain is the same length, and the way you think would work ( both hands palm down) makes the chains different lengths... if you get that.

https://www.domorepoi.com/lessons_wraps.php

Ok so the spiral wrap vid proves that theory wrong! unless you do it vertically wink

EDITED_BY: Dragon7 (1125974972)