Forums > Social Chat > do you think poi is a dance that stuck?i mean..

Login/Join to Participate

NightShade1member
368 posts

Posted:
that there is always something new to learn ??

sometimes i dont think so....
dunno after learning all the move of the page and also some other extra like BTL moves dunno i think im stucked or something :/
how do you feel ppl?

Dance like if noone were watching you

Paddyback from the dead...sort of
884 posts

Posted:
At the moment I can't see an end to the all the combinations of moves to be done.

It's funny...if you'd asked that two months ago, I'd have said no, at some point it's possible to learn everything...that there's only so much you can do with poi. But ironically, having now developed my skills a bit more, I feel like I've got the furthest to go.

I think is because at first, poiers probably think that the only moves that exist are the ones in the poi moves section (I know I did). But as you learn those moves, you see the infinite number of combinations that are possible. And I mean learn those moves- know them inside out, know how to get in and out of them, to be able to truly use the move- as opposed to simply being able to do them.

I mean, any move can also be done backwards and/or on the other side of the body, any butterfly move can be done in splittime, moves done to front or sides can be done BTB if you're flexy enough, shortchains open up a whole new family of tricks involving swings inside the arms...there's wraps, limitless combinations and transitions...the more I seem to learn, the more I realize how much more is possible.

My $0.02.

JeStErSILVER Member
enthusiast
214 posts

Posted:
I agree with Paddy, I've been twirling for 7 years now, and the more I learn, the greater the task of mastering the art is. I see it as something you could spend a lifetime or more learning; all the intricacies of all the different aspects to it: dance, technicality of moves etc.
I've only learnt moves like BTB and variations or combo's off this board, the most influence and inspiration comes from watching other people do it.

Trying to play the Akashic records,
but my turntables not compatible.

DarkFairyQueenmember
557 posts

Posted:
OOh such Madness!

Tis so true. The more I learn, the more there iz too learn.
Sometimes I get cocky, and think I know almost everything, but then I see a spinner that I havn't seen b4 pulling off tricks I'd never thought existed.
I think with something like Poi, the possibilities are endless. There's always a new angle, or an extra spin, or combo to learn. This is what I love about it.
Nightshade, I feel a little stuck sometimes. I suggest you put on your favorite spinning music on and improvise. Go mad. I've discovered loads of new moves and combo's just by spinning wildly. Instead of trying to learn something specific, just let go

HeeHee, twinkle!
DFQ xx

Az abouve, So below...

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
Sorry, i'm going to have to disagree with you guys on the limitless amounts of moves. Combos maybe but move wise, it's harder and harder to come up with something fresh. Everything that comes out now is a small variation of an existing move. Or a variation or a variation. This is how i saw the potential of new moves in each category

weave series - little to abolutely zero. Everyone practices this the most so almost all avenue of ideas have been done. Non wrapping 9-beat weave anyone? btb 7-beat anyone?

Butterfly series - The only thing i could see for expansion was extreme mastery of turning a butterflys and thread the needles behind the back as one would turn them infront of them.

Between the legs - If anyone understands btl moves, they would realize there's only 5 or 6 things you can actually do, and the rest is combinations of putting them together. One after another for example.

Wraps - name a limb we haven't used yet. Name something to do before the actual limb. Wraps are only as hard as the move preceeding it. Still has some areas to be explored.

Throws/Releases - something i never worked on. I'm sure this has the most potential for new moves. Many things to be explored.

4 Poi - i know some people do this. I touched on this for a bit. There's a lot to this. This is the only thing that still needs to be explored to it's fullest potential. Move wise though, it's just a combination of turning butteflies, split-time butterflies and staff like moves.

Artistic - sky's the limit.

Anyways, that's my opinion on the matter. There are only so many moves out there left to be discovered. I'm sure people will add in flips, cartwheels, and weird contortions of their body. The beauty of poi is in artistic ability where anything goes and there are no limitations. Technical wise, i hate to say is almost done. Please don't name off combos and such after this either, think bigger than that.

my 0.02 cents.

NightShade1member
368 posts

Posted:
YES phunky get what i think and what i feel now!
all is a varietion of an old move... that sucks...
and dunno i wanna learn new moves that arent varietion of others...

884 posts

Posted:
It's true that the "limitless" number of moves may be combinations of combinations, but when you DO one of them it just feels different somehow. It feels like a new move, even though it can be described as permutation of existing moves. I guess I just feel that with any combo, the whole is greater than the sum of the parts.

One thing that really hasn't been explored is all the different ways of lighting poi. I guess it's because it's expensive to experiment and there isn't enough of a market to support a bunch of poi related products. (Ex. I'm thinking of making a set of multiLED poi using USB cable instead of chain and using switches to control the lights from the grips. God knows if I'll ever get off my ass to do it though.)

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
In my opinion, you can always improve. The only limitation on improvement is boredom. If you get bored of poi (or whatever else), you'll stop improving.

Peace.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
No doubt, there's always an aspect of your spinning that needs improvement. The argument though is what new moves there are to learn.

The reason why there are a limit to new moves and what you can do are

1)The shape of your body

2)How you're limbs can move only certain ways

3)Gravity

If it were not for these 3 things, the poi could move anywhere anytime. Alas, they don't so it will take a creative genius to come up with new concepts and ideas for moves.

Then again, remember IT'S NOT ALL ABOUT THE MOVES. Spinning is like painting. The moves you learn are like the techniques you learn in art class to make you're painting look better. There comes a time when you stop learning new techniques and start applying them.

884 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by phunky:
The moves you learn are like the techniques you learn in art class to make you're painting look better. There comes a time when you stop learning new techniques and start applying them.
Very well put. I guess you're talking strictly about the about the technique, whereas I guess I'm talking more about their applications.

JeStErSILVER Member
enthusiast
214 posts

Posted:
(Affirmation from a tarot card)
'My creative possibilities know no boundaries, except for the ones I believe in.'

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
I find the most irritating thing about poi is when you know that something can be done, but you can't get your body to do what you want it to. Then after seeing someone else do it, the move comes really easily.
I live no where near any other poiers, so i never see any new moves other than the ones on the site, meaning I get stuck tryng to do moves i know are possible, but i just cant pull them off!

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
Nightshade LOL, you're never satisfied, are you ? Well, that's good anyway
know what ? why don't you let your poi down for a while and play with new toys ? grab a broomstick adn play staff or whatnot... i am *sure* you'll come back to poi with loads of new things you want to experiment

shine on
cassandra

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
hmm... well, phunky, have to agree with you mostly, in that there are only two ways which a poi can go, up or down, so there are only so many ways to spin them, but there are fractals that you might have yet to discover that make old categories like the butterfly seem totally different than the butterfly. while they are still like the butterfly, there's places to put the things that just open up different parts of your brain even, you feel it hit you like a rush down your spine... and different mathematical ways to combine bflys and spiders(weave, i guess), and mixing in differnt inversions of them together, and ways to do them that change their properties completely... i can't believe how many moves there are, and more keep happening every day. don't give up! if you're stuck, put on a new cd, take more drugs than usual, and pay attention to your mistakes!

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

JeStErSILVER Member
enthusiast
214 posts

Posted:
Maybe try applying poi to 2 short staffs (doubles), I've know I've found that interesting.

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
I've studied how to do a butterfly intensely when i was still practicing 4 hours a day.

When i do butterflies and turn them and such, this is how my brain processes. When you come out of a butterfly and split them, one hand is going forward and one is going reverse. This is going to be too hard to explain in writing.

(lefthand spins forward) (righthand backwards)

the left hand can do ANYTHING from forward spinning weave series.

the right hand does ANYTHING from reverse spinning weave series.

You're thinking, what the hell are you doing doing weave stuff in butterflies?

They are one and the same. Isolate you're thinking to one hand only. The movements are the same. Any movement that can be done in the weave series can be done with one of you're hands in the butterflies series. Where as the other one is just going reverse weave series. Once you get that going in you're head, you'll be able to think "outside" the usual butterfly type thinking everyone seems to be in.

Another example of what i mean. Overhead butterfly. Turning a butterfly to overhead butterfly and back. Look at what only one hand is doing. What movement is that for? If you see it, it's one hand doing the windmill motion. The other is doing the same thing.

Basically all moves in poi are doing these movements but in different combinations, of forward and reverse, of each hand which make different patterns of light.

Butterfly and Weave series are classifications only for how the light moves. They are identical in movements. And properties to turn them are the same.

Do a cross way split-time. Look forward. Pretend there is a line coming out of your forehead. When the poi cross this line they will change the direction of how they are spinning. This is a big concept that everyone needs to understand. Turn 180, no matter what move, it will go the opposite direction of how they were just moving.

Anyways, i'm blabbing. I hope any of that made sense.

[ 16 May 2002, 06:38: Message edited by: phunky ]

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
par examlpe, phunky...
you don't even have what i call the crane, as cranes mate for life, and the moves that evolve from it often have the same stuff as crane fist. kinda... it is a basic move. it is possible to move the chains in the same direction on the same side. kind of like chasing the sun, but i mean without moving your hands, with both of them static in front of you and next to each other, and in verrrry close to the same plane. you may know about it, but i didn't see it on the list. but this can be done all over, just like bfly and spider. there's more, too...

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
I do know what you're talking about, though i consider that part of the weave series.

NightShade1member
368 posts

Posted:
Thats true cassandra sweetie:)

i was trying to pick something else like breakdancing but i need to go to the gym firts bleh! for some moves bleh!
i tried popping but there isnt a good site were i can learn like with poi and breakdancing
now dunno im here stucked with my moves on poi just creating new combos...

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
LOL, you can't find a site that teaches breakdancing?

You don't look hard enough my friend.

As for popping, it's an easy concept but you need creativity. Tense you're muscles at the beat, now go dance.

NightShade1member
368 posts

Posted:
Phunky read again
i never said such thing!
its easy to find a breakdacing site to teach you
www.breakdance.com enuff there:p

and its easy for you liquiding cause you know ppl that does it i dont...

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
ahh, my bad.