darkmogwaistranger
5 posts

Posted:
Quick one... I'm using a six-foot single staff at present (double six-footers would just be silly...) - it's made of plain dowel, and needless to say at present it's not exactly heavy.

I've been trying to think of ways to weight the ends to give it a bit more momentum and also to make things feel rather more 'positive' in terms of flow etc - what options are there?

I've been considering a few things, namely attaching kevlar wicking (bit pricy, and plus not sure how heavy it's likely to be), rubber balls (no idea how to attach them), and lead shot (again, no idea how to attach it).

Any recommendations? And whilst we're on the topic, what sort of grip would be good? I tried some grip tape which is used for fishing rods, but it turned out to be rather too rough. I've also considered the grip used for tennis rackets, but I have a feeling it's going to make the staff too thick... what to do, what to do...

mo-sephenthusiast
523 posts

Posted:
Bike inner tube

- It's free from bike shops (old ones with punctures
- Lasts forever
- It gets grippier the sweatier it gets

You can even wrap lots of it round the ends for weight, and it'll cushion the blow when (if) you smack yourself in the head.

Only downside is, it leaves black crap and rubber smell on your hands after you spin (although it stops making your hands smell after a few plays). Make sure you pull it really tight when you put it on, and it should be nice and solid.

monkeys ate my brain

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
I just used cut up teacloths and duck tape to weight my staff. And if it isn't heavy enough, just add more teacloth or duct tape or both...

(You and your silly bike inner tube mo-seph! It doesn't cushion the grip at all! You want some nice hockey / squash / tennis / badminton racquet grip for it to be really grippy. But then again, you do do doubles, and that can't be helped. wink )

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

mo-sephenthusiast
523 posts

Posted:
Cushioning is for pansies. peace

Real men have bruises. tongue tongue tongue

The nice tennis racket grip is lovely for a little while, then dies.
The cheap tennis racket grip goes shiny and slippy.
(But then I think I'm quite hard on grip - comes from doing more doubles than contact, I guess...)

Inner tube rules!

monkeys ate my brain

darkmogwaistranger
5 posts

Posted:
Written by: mo-seph

Bike inner tube

What a rather wonderful idea... I shall pop into the local bike store tomorrow... Ta smile

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
real men are stupid if they try to land throws to neck catches with inner tube and no hair to cushion the blow. Don't think I didn't see you! wink ubbrollsmile ubblol : rolleyes

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

fake teeth and glueBRONZE Member
Checking who's online, watching you!
1,972 posts

Posted:
to weight the ends of mine i used those rubber ends for walking sticks which you can get from most diy shops and if they're to big just rap some insulation tape (also from diy shop)around the end and then shuv the walking stick ends on the ends.
also insulation tape is ok-ish for grip, bit slippy though.

you just lost the game!!!!!! !!!!!

knowledge is power, power corupts, study hard, become evil.

darkmogwaistranger
5 posts

Posted:
Written by: fake teeth and glue

also insulation tape is ok-ish for grip, bit slippy though.

I'm using insulation tape at the moment. It seems to get grippier with use, but unfortunately I get frustrated with the staff sliding about before it gets to that stage. Might give the walking stick tips a go...

lllk
182 posts

Posted:
i recently made a staff for myself out of a bit of dowling, its about 5' 6" (shoulder height). sprayed it black which soaked in nicely and then added hockey stick grip which is working really well didnt make it too fat at all.
at the ends i used half a roll of insulation tape but it didnt really add much weight so im thinking of embedding a thick heavy screw/nail and or washers of the same diameter as the staff fastened in place with the screw mentioned before. Then maybe more tape so as not to kill myself :S

dont know. havent done it yet but something needs to be done about the weight.

margitaSILVER Member
.:*distracted by shiny things*:.
3,777 posts

Posted:
i did pretty much the same thing - dowel is great for that! my dad (owns a hardware store) cut the dowel to my height, then before asking me he chucked some plastic stoppers on the ends. sure, now i won't get splinters but i can't get the freaking things off!! ubblol

as for grip, i haven't got around to it yet, but i've heard golf club grip works well. i assume it's fairly similar to tennis racquet grip.

i like the tape idea for weight...might try that!

weavesmiley

do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good to eat!

if at first you do succeed, try not to look too astonished!

smile! :grin: it confuses people!

margitaSILVER Member
.:*distracted by shiny things*:.
3,777 posts

Posted:
also - you're using a six foot staff!?? eek

i think mine's about 165cm (i don't know what that is in feet - but it's about to my shoulder) - how tall are you!??

ubbloco

do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good to eat!

if at first you do succeed, try not to look too astonished!

smile! :grin: it confuses people!

LurchBRONZE Member
old hand
929 posts

Posted:
165cm is a little under 5 1/2 feet.

As for the grip thing (I'm not a staff spinner, yet) but I've mentioned it before. Don't know if anyones done it yet but electrical shrinktube comes in just about any size and color you want, just slip it on take a heat gun to it and it'll shrink down tight wherever you want it.. Of course you'll have to keep the fire away from it but I think it would work semi decently for a grip..

Or you can always just tie it. Theres a few good ways to do lashing.

#homeofpoi -- irc.newnet.net Come talk to us we're bored frown

Warning: Please Do Not Jump On The Seals

mo-sephenthusiast
523 posts

Posted:
Heatshrink's good stuff. I've not tried using for a whole grip, cos I don't think it'll stick to aluminium very well - might be OK on dowel though. It's nice for covering the ends of a grip with though - it's a bit more burn resistant than electrical tape, and looks a *lot* more professional.

Just got to remember to put it on *before* you put any ends or wicks on the staff wink

monkeys ate my brain

LurchBRONZE Member
old hand
929 posts

Posted:
I couldn't see it having a problem sticking to alu, it's all about the friction..

Depending on things I guess you might even be able to play with textureing, maybe by doing things like drilling a series of holes that would then be covered by the heatshrink..

#homeofpoi -- irc.newnet.net Come talk to us we're bored frown

Warning: Please Do Not Jump On The Seals

PsychoFlarestranger
1 post

Posted:
I was wondering what a good length for some double short staffs would be, I'm about 180 cm long.

Any suggestions?

darkmogwaistranger
5 posts

Posted:
Written by: margita

also - you're using a six foot staff!?? eek

i think mine's about 165cm (i don't know what that is in feet - but it's about to my shoulder) - how tall are you!??

ubbloco

I'm about 6'5"... the staff comes up to about my chin. Yes, I'm tall smile

Haven't really done much about the staff recently (bad weather is the main reason)... Must get it sorted soon. Thanks for everyone's advice biggrin

Klaymen180 posts

Posted:
My belief is you dont want short doubles to be longer than a metre, I made mine 101cm (funnily enough, over a metre ;P ), and they are the tiniest bit too long. I really have to stretch to do those moves where the staffs spin together right infront of your body. It is a bit annoying, but I'll have to adjust. But yeah, make sure you make your staffs short enough for these moves.

- Klaymen

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
i learnt my first set of staff moves with a 6ft staff, and i have an 8ft one in my ex-tiy closet!

its not about length if you ask me, its about middle point, if the middle is below your eyeline then you can spin it, cos it will always have ground clearence if your using it at head high :S

did that make any sence?

Step (el-nombrie)

Klaymen180 posts

Posted:
it really depends if you wanna do those infront of the body moves really, eg spinning on the same axis but in opposite directions (or same direction for that matter). If half of the stick length is longer than your arm length, then you can't really do these moves. Little sticks open up more moves, but I guess less contant moves.

- Klaymen