Joe Marshallnewbie
33 posts

Posted:
I've been spinning a bit recently with a (non-spinning) critical audience. It's really helped develop my style into something a lot more than just two bits of fire going round in circles, as I can get an idea pretty quickly what works and what is just hard but doesn't look any good. It's also helping me with my general body movement around the poi.

Anyway, one of the things I've noticed is that many of the things I do that are good are non circular moves or moves that break the circles. Once people have seen you do a weave and a few turns and stuff, they get bored of watching things go round in varying circles.

I've learnt of a few non-circular things to do, does anyone have anything else fun that they do that isn't circles?

Things I do at the moment -

Stalls - these are kind of okay, but always look a bit boring to me.

Wraps - I like to use these to make s shapes and things like that. It looks dangerous which is a bonus.

Kicks - These are okay, but I've not really got anything interesting going with them. I can swap from butterfly to normal weave. I thought spin backwards, jump and kick both poi to forward might look nice, but it currently seems a bit stilted unless I can do it much more smoothly and reliably.

horizontal + vertical lines (you can do them split time or together). I'd like to get one horizontal + one vertical looking like a cross, but this seems to be really quite hard to do. These are ace as an attention grabber, because they make a really massive noise if you do them fast and look quite insane. Be sure your poi are tightly attached before doing vertical ones cos they can jerk hard if you don't do them right. They look way way better than pendulums which always seemed a bit of a yawn move to me.

Joe

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
stalls taken to the extreme are fun.

we call them 'gilligans', you can call them whatever you like.

this is my [Old link] thread from a while back.

it went a bit weird... umm

if they make you yawn, poke bluecat until he writes a description of that pendulum weave thing he does... confused

[Old link] is a nice idea too.

catches and throws (head or whole poi) break up the circle thing massively.

and for more random non-circleness, try thinking of as many ways to make squares and spirals as you can.

then tell us all about them biggrin

have fun weavesmiley

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
post modern deconstructionism?? ubblol

[Edit: damn that coleman is fast hug ]

theres some great stuff in here and links from there cool rolleyes

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I have, and will always be, a member of the Pro-Circle Majority.

Breaking circles isn't natural. I'm pretty sure there's a passage in the bible about it... towards the back I think.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
near the back? umm
new testament, schmoo testament i say.

follow the crowd if you like.
spin those circles,
then jump through them.

anyway nyc, i could have sworn that not 6 months ago you were a pro-beatist and hence of a non-circlular faith?

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
NYC you shameless liar. if ever i saw a wrap fanatic it was you.

unfortunately i won't be able to force you to do non circles as my entire summer now seems destined to be away from edinburgh....(going to juggle with jayG, manuL and remi... juggle)

ps not going to explain the pendulum weave until i can spin again(ETS june 7th frown)

love
R

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
Quote:

ps not going to explain the pendulum weave until i can spin again(ETS june 7th

but that's the whole point of this thread innit?

stuff you can do without actually spinning? wink

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

robotfacemember
190 posts

Posted:
Bluecat get in a time machine and go to june now and tell us pendulm weaves!

also whenever I try non circular stuff I feel like im ripping off glass, because I have a hard time comeing up with anything that's not exactly like what he does in videos.

duballstarSILVER Member
slack rating - 9.5
2,216 posts

Posted:
please share the knowledge dude... meditate

It is our fantasies that make us real. Without our fantasies we're just a blank monkey' - Terry Pratchett

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
glass? in a vid? where? must findmustfindmustfind ubblove

sorry cole i don't actually know it well enough(got several variations...) to explain without going and doing for a while.....

huggery
R

robotfacemember
190 posts

Posted:
Spinning in paris 1-4. I can send you said vids on MSN, ICQ or AIM, I downloaded them from a friend via DC++

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Pro beat = Pro circle. smile

And wraps are still circles, you're just changing the radius. Kinda like they're just circles moving away from you very quickly. That is to say, if you just ran towards my fist while I was wrapping, it would look just like a circle. And then you'd hit my fist which would be extra funny.

I'm not anti non-circles. I'm just anti- anticircles. It's not one or the other. I support both. And reject rejections of either.

[What?]

I can't support a 'league AGAINST circles' but I can support a 'league for things other than circles.' smile

[Oh]

Spread the love, not the hate.

NYC,

Pro-beat, pro-circle, pro-premodernist, pro-postmodernist, pro-illegal, pro-oldskool, pro-newskool, pro-fire, pro-glow, pro-hippy, pro-raver, pro-american style, pro-UK style, pro-sock poi, fire poi,tennis ball poi... if it's a ball on a string, and you're having fun... I suppport it. biggrin

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
crickey I'd completely forgotten about that,

runs off to watch the Spinning in Paris Directors Cut

(DC: theres not differenct footage I just re-edited Jo's bit slicker,

I'll get it on the website st the end of the month)

what a great weekend that was smile

search in videos, it should still be online... I think, maybe,

I'd ask wifey, but wifey isn''t here at the moment

I know this function doesn't work:

[pollstart]

[polltitleWhen swinging, which is better:]

[polloption=Lindy Circle]

[polloption=or Swing out?]

[pollstop]

biggrin ubbangel

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
NYC has more support than a high school basketball team.

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

Dr_MollyPooh-Bah
2,354 posts

Posted:
Glass,
swing outs are obviously better
but real men let go on five
wink

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Glass: Wifey? Who?
Eh?

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Dom?

wink

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
aaaah yes indeed i know those vids rather well...

dom? or maybe some other juggler...? rolleyes

hugs
R

Joe Marshallnewbie
33 posts

Posted:
I've played enough now to determine that square-so-lations are really really difficult.

Can anyone actually do these without making them go all circly at the corners or stopping and falling down?

Is there a trick to them? I reckon that you need to move your hand in a sort of curly cross shape to make squares, but it's hard to see how you'd make the poi keep going round.

Joe

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Awww shucks... back in the day I had me a girly who's swingouts could make your jaw drop and your eyeballs pop out.

Alas.

Then again, back in the day I had me a girly who's buzzsaws could take your breath away.

Alas.

I guess that means I'm either a really bad swingdancer, firespinner, or boyfriend. frown Maybe all of the above.

Relating other conversations. I certanly do believe the further away from circles we go, the further away from 'Poi'. But that's just me.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Joe Marshallnewbie
33 posts

Posted:
From watching poi acts myself prior to learning it, I think people just standing around doing poi is okay to watch for a couple of minutes, but unless you know poi and are really into the techniques, it does all start getting samey after a couple of minutes, just more and more circles. Most people you see out spinning are boring as hell to watch unless you're totally caned.

It's great if you spin and you know that those are amazing buzzsaws, but to the uninitiated, that's just another circle. What is cool is when people start doing things that aren't just standing there spinning the poi round in circles, dancing and contorting your body around the poi is one part of this, doing wraps is another and doing weird inexplicable patterns and wraps is another possible thing to do. It doesn't have to be difficult stuff, just adding variety of a type that is visible to the non-initiated as well as to the performer. I'll bet you that your girlies who were amazing weren't amazing because they were doing amazing tricks, but because they were dancing with the poi and adding that to the just spinning circles that many poisters do.

I'd probably be more agreed with you with regards to hyperloops and other tangly things, I've never seen them look cool yet, they just look difficult.

I find it's the same with technical juggling acts, I saw some supposedly amazing club passing the other week, but most of it looks the same to me, whereas, seeing someone doing the juggling 'yoyo' trick with globalls in the dark was much more cool, I was instantly going woaaah, that looks mental, because it just doesn't look the same as all the other juggling.

Joe

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
of course the ultimate poi stall - that few seem to dare try these days - is to put them down on the floor, walk away and take up staff spinning instead.

Try it.

I did.

How did i get into this forum anyhoo?

Meh

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Im FAR from putting down my poi... But I did just order 2 short fire staves today smile

You did, however, remind me of a move I been working on where I stall both poi between my legs in butterfly but let them drop to the floor. I then jump and spin 180 keeping the same pose, pick up the opposite poi and continue the butterfly.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Written by: C@ntus

How did i get into this forum anyhoo?

And stay out stickboy!

{Miss you guys}

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

originalsmitSILVER Member
addict
469 posts
Location: nottingham, england. cornwall wales denmark or pra...

Posted:
looking like a damn fool

okay this is one for all of you who are fed up with looking cool and want a couple of manic things to try.

it snot very special but :

decent jumping turn

from any forward spinning move do a split turn to upwards weave in fact do a couple.

As you bring the poi up from your sides (paralell) jump high and before you hit the floor have gone from an upwards to a downwards weave, on the last beat of the downwards bring your right arm down last straight, so it nearly grazes the floor. for added effect wrap the poi one turn on the upwards spinning part of the jump so its shorter when you hit the deck so you can go further to the floor

360'

tricky and im working 540 but i fall over.

either from a corkscrew to paralell horizontal pirrouettes. speed, then jump and pull your arms in, due to newton and ll that youll spin like a top. and land like a graceful ballet dancer

or best is

slit reels at hip. as you bring the split forwards do one spin paralell in front in front then a faster higher parallel beat then another even faster even higher one when this last circle reaches its higest point (and you shouldnt be able to go higher or further over) bring the poi down hard into a hip split reel behind the backat this point really push with the poi and push and twist you should be able to do a split reel turn of two beats while turning through 360' in the air and again land gracefully like ballet dancer(or ox) .

more spawining from my brain and you need a heavy poi to do this

props to chris an his mega heavy beamers in ariel bags

edited to make vaugely legible
EDITED_BY: originalsmit (1086106299)

my original signature was tooo long.
this one is shorter

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
hug

Meh