the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Alrighty...here's the "rules"

1. Grab the nearest book.
2. Open it to page 93
3. Find the 5th sentence down
4. Post it here.

Now, I am not sure what this is supposed to mean really. I do know that 93 is supposed to me Do what you love as long as it harms none.
Maybe it is supposed to help you find what you love?

Let's give it a try..shall we?

Nearest book (from the many, the first I picked up without lookin is...)

"Building a Character" By Stanislavski

Pg 93, 5th line

"The fact is that the work of voice placing consists primarily in the development of breathing and the vibration of the unsustained note."

Hmmmm.....I'll have to think on that! wink

Pele

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Alrighty, another try...and this ought to be interesting...

Book: The Life and Times of Marquis De Sade by Dr. Iwan Bloch

pg 93 line 5

Oh my gods! Thank goodness I have no brothers and this is completely not true for me!!!!!!!!

"In the beginning of his career, after getting much pleasure from the seduction of his own sister, he induced sisters to be seduced by their brothers."

Ummm...eww..but this game is fun! biggrin

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
La Piel del Tambor by Arturo Pérez-Reverte

"–Lo único que pretendo –dijo Quart– es garantizar una limpia investigación."

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
... depict forgettable non-events set in claustrophobic, unremarkable places. when...

from a book about boris mikhailov

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Pele, is it fifth line or fifth sentence?

-Mike

originalsmitSILVER Member
addict
469 posts
Location: nottingham, england. cornwall wales denmark or pra...

Posted:
" When veiwing the statistics given in table 2, one must bear in mind that the method of gathering, population and veiw of the results is not continuous from table one as the laws governing the definition of suicide changed in 1961"

yeah
boring innit its from suicide and attempted suicide by gerald pickering
i got lent it by a mate, makes interesting reading as its from 1975

my original signature was tooo long.
this one is shorter

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Allen Carr's Easy wat to stop smoking

"If you can't do it today, what makes you think it will be easier tomorrow?"

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

KatrinaGOLD Member
enthusiast
352 posts

Posted:
"switch of the appliance at the socket and pull out the plug"

from What to do in an emergency....

Note: this book covers lots of useful emergencies such as electric shock (above), your holiday firm going bust, volcano erruption, how to deal with a drunk who is pestering you and lots of other useful things... yet it doesn't deal with setting yourself on fire, surely that's more likely than getting caught near an errupting volcano don't you think?

One day i'll learn to resist gravity...

PrometheusDiamond In The Rough
459 posts

Posted:
This may not say much for me, but the nearest thing was a comic book, my Wolverine Annual

"It's one-o'clock, bub..." (Snikkt) "Time to get yer face ripped off!"

Not nearly as insightful as some quotes I could choose...

Dance like it hurts; Love like you need money; Work like someone is watching.

Never criticize someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, when you DO criticize them, you are a mile away, and you have their shoes.

pounceSILVER Member
All the neurotic makings of America's lesser known sweetheart
9,831 posts

Posted:
nearest book:
The Vagina Monologues
by Eve Ensler

"Water."

ok so that was kinda boring. how bout another?

remembered rapture: the writer at work
by bell hooks

"So many stories of balck girlhood are filling with lurid tales of all manner of sexual abuse, incest, rape by strangers, and unrelenting violence that this has almost come to represent in the popular imagination what black girlhood is."

and one last one:

Real Knockouts: The Physical Feminism of Women's Self-Defense
by Martha McCaughey

(quoted from an interview) "What I saw in the women who were taking the class was really frightening to me because I felt, I mean, I came into the class because of this sexual harrassment...I was so pissed that I was ready to scream, I was ready to yell, to punch things and I don't know what got some of these other women into the class but they were so meek and so unable to even just yell 'NO' in a way that wasn't like, when we did this exercise where we just went up to each other to say 'NO, DON'T TALK TO ME LIKE THAT,'...they couldn't even do that without smiling or looking down or something...I had no trouble just wailing on them, and that was just when it kind of hit me, that wow, this is really a bigger problem for even other people than it is for me, saying 'no' and not sounding like a girl."

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
From The Funny Thing Is... by Ellen Degeneres

"Woah."

-Mike

RosscoOfficial HoP hobbity potato monster!
434 posts

Posted:
The NHS complaints procedure covers any complaint made about a Trust's staff or facilities relating to care in the Trust's private pay beds, it does not cover private medical care provided by consultants outside their NHS contract!

Can everyone see how interesting my job is? frown

O.B.E.S.E. Official Potato man.

Remeber kids.... Its all fun and games until someone loses a bol**ck! biggrin

KatrinaGOLD Member
enthusiast
352 posts

Posted:
got a whole new pile of books at my desk now....

introducing sociology - bilton et al

"these characteristics help to support popular notions of the upper class as 'the aristocracy' - landowners with titles ranked below the monarchy - or as an 'establishment' where the elite individuals man [sic] core traditional institutions in order to effectively control the country" confused

don't you just wish you were doing an essay on social policies and collectivism... rolleyes

Nephtysresident fridge magnet
835 posts

Posted:
It makes excellent reading when you stick it all together. I think some of the dialogue is particularly fascinating!! How about we entitle this "A Dark and Disturbing Trip into The HOP Collective Unconscious" biggrin
To re-cap, what we have created so far...

The fact is that the work of voice placing consists primarily in the development of breathing and the vibration of the unsustained note. Or into squares with a knife.
"Yeah" Terry said, "Can we go in now?"
The other drinkers thought they were some kind of cabaret. She kicked Oscar's sides, and he got a fright and shot forward.
"As I say, if you aren't enjoying your religion,then you are either doing your relgion wrong or doing the wrong religion."
'There's no music involved' I said 'But that's not a bad idea. Might get a few more people joining. I need a 1000, and ---'"
"But, as I know that strength arising from obedience has a way of simplifying things which seem impossible, my will very gladly resolves to attempt this task although the prospect seems to cause my physical nature great distress; for the Lord has not given me strength enough to enable me to wrestle continually both with sickness and with occupations of many kinds without feeling a great physical strain."
(noh-men-klay-chur). The modern system for naming organ. Beauty could not see this happening because of the high collar. By not displaying one's high virtue, one is virtuous. HUSANI - Swahili 'handsome'. Ionic bonds are further weakened by the presence of salts, whose atoms form the counterions that cluster around ions of opposite charge. When researchers pushed a switch, a low-level, nonharmful electrical current passed through these gold wires and activated brain cells. She holds a disk in her left hand,whose centre is the chinese symbol. As the celestial beauty floated down to stand before Brockwell her form shrank and manifested into a naked human female. ...the madmen who made men mad by their contagion; conquerors and kings, founders of sects and systems.'-lord george gordon byron. make the connection between negative emotions and habitual negative thoughts. There are few better lunches than this soundly flavoured tart. 'It follows that, if we fail to become aware of it, we can deny that it is in our mind'.
"My muscles have all seized up," he groaned, sinking onto his bed.'
I have taken to the sofa with my staylace cut, and have lain there three hours, insensible, with my head over the side, and my hair all down, and my feet I don't know where.
"He's saying Mr Lister has chosen well, sir."
And, a regular of the Downtown performing circuit herself, Taylor knew that, to quote her father, there was no way in Satan's backyard that anyone would ever make any kind of serious money playing music in bars. Before it was too late, the human race had to learn everything possible about this species – preferably without causing more damage to the sole 'survivor’. The Robert F. Stockton , built in England in 1838 for the USA, crossed the Atlantic under sail in 1839 and took up service towing canal barges.
"The pain on that mattress there-that dreadful pain- that's you."
Speed of a small bladed weapon. In the beginning of his career, after getting much pleasure from the seduction of his own sister, he induced sisters to be seduced by their brothers.
"–Lo único que pretendo –dijo Quart– es garantizar una limpia investigación." Depict forgettable non-events set in claustrophobic, unremarkable places. When. When viewing the statistics given in table 2, one must bear in mind that the method of gathering, population and view of the results is not continuous from table one as the laws governing the definition of suicide changed in 1961. If you can't do it today, what makes you think it will be easier tomorrow? Switch of the appliance at the socket and pull out the plug.
“It's one-o'clock, bub..." (Snikkt) "Time to get yer face ripped off!"
"Water."
So many stories of black girlhood are filling with lurid tales of all manner of sexual abuse, incest, rape by strangers, and unrelenting violence that this has almost come to represent in the popular imagination what black girlhood is."
"What I saw in the women who were taking the class was really frightening to me because I felt, I mean, I came into the class because of this sexual harrassment...I was so pissed that I was ready to scream, I was ready to yell, to punch things and I don't know what got some of these other women into the class but they were so meek and so unable to even just yell 'NO' in a way that wasn't like, when we did this exercise where we just went up to each other to say 'NO, DON'T TALK TO ME LIKE THAT,'...they couldn't even do that without smiling or looking down or something...I had no trouble just wailing on them, and that was just when it kind of hit me, that wow, this is really a bigger problem for even other people than it is for me, saying 'no' and not sounding like a girl."
"Woah."
The NHS complaints procedure covers any complaint made about a Trust's staff or facilities relating to care in the Trust's private pay beds, it does not cover private medical care provided by consultants outside their NHS contract! These characteristics help to support popular notions of the upper class as 'the aristocracy' - landowners with titles ranked below the monarchy - or as an 'establishment' where the elite individuals man [sic] core traditional institutions in order to effectively control the country. I'm scrambling to get up off the greased floor with and armful of Marla's India cotton print skirt.

(that last one was from "Fight Club" by Chuck Palahniuk)

smile

everyone's unique except me

Nephtysresident fridge magnet
835 posts

Posted:
eek i did not mean to kill this thread, i really like it!
* bump *

everyone's unique except me

KatrinaGOLD Member
enthusiast
352 posts

Posted:
Thread murderer! eek tongue

Tao StarPooh-Bah
1,662 posts

Posted:
er, mine says

this was how matters stood when their second child, whom they called James, was born.

(The gospel according to Jesus Christ - Jose Saramango)

which is a shame, cos the rest of the page is riveting!

I had a dream that my friend had a
strong-bad pop up book,
it was the book of my dreams.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
This is from the Sanford Guide to Antimicrobial Therapy 2003 edition, which is in my pocket right now (I'm at work).

Toxoplasma Gondii (Reference: Remington and mcLeod in INFECTIOUS DISEASES, Gorbach et al. Eds. 2nd Ed. 1997, pp1620-40)

Scintillating, eh?

-Mike

_Aime_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
Graham Nortons Biography - Laid Bare

'...with his hair shaved back that we noticed.' Julie Forrester also...'

phinnot just a juggler...
101 posts

Posted:
from the curious incident of the dog in the nightime by mark haddon:

'...and i am going to finish this chapter with two interesting facts...'

interesting! biggrin

phin

"look like a girl, act like a lady, think like a man and work like a dog"

KatrinaGOLD Member
enthusiast
352 posts

Posted:
ooh, great book, were they the facts about sherlock homes?

I actually, for once have no books within reach of the computer due to a hit of spontenaity taking me back to Cumbria.

phinnot just a juggler...
101 posts

Posted:
indeed they were about sherlock holmes! did you know that without checking?!

next book...

the wee free men by terry pratchett

'...a gasp went up from the nac mac feegles, and...'

also very good book biggrin

phin

"look like a girl, act like a lady, think like a man and work like a dog"

KatrinaGOLD Member
enthusiast
352 posts

Posted:
Yes, I did know that without checking (I enjoyed that book). I'm replying to this and yet again there are no books within arms reach, not even a really really long arms reach....

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Pocket PDR

Idarubicin HCL (Idamycin PFS) Inj: 1mg/ml
ADULTS: AML: Induction: 12 mg/m^2/d x 3d. Give 2nd course if evidence of leukemia still present.
ADVERSE EFFECTS: Local tissue necrosis, myocardial toxicity, myelosuppression

eek Ewww.

-Mike

Kombi guyBRONZE Member
HOP OM
225 posts

Posted:
Eyes closed, reached and grabbed.
Poi Spinning by Michal kahn ( Typical ) rolleyes biggrin wink smile
weavesmiley weavesmiley weavesmiley weavesmiley weavesmiley weavesmiley weavesmiley weavesmiley weavesmiley weavesmiley
As the poi spin towards each other, bring the poi down and jump as they cross under your feet. biggrin cool juggle

Mint SauceBRONZE Member
veteran
1,453 posts

Posted:
The BMA "Concise Guide to Medicines and Drugs biggrin

P:93
L:5

"created is carefully regulated. Sometimes" confused

before i met those lot i thought they'd be a bunch of dreadlocked hippies that smoked, set things on fire ,and drank a lot of tea but then when i met them....oh wait (PyroWill)

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Across the Sea of Suns by Gregory Benford

"Part of it's to find out what the issue goddam is if you'd just listen fer once!"

-Mike

Page: