SammerXBRONZE Member
2 posts

Posted:
Hello

I'm 13 yrs old and am performing in my schools upcoming talent show, I plan on doing flaming poi, flaming devilsticks, and flaming diabolo. The school is behind me all the way on this and the director of the show has gotten it so I can perform with fire, but they want to use a fire extinguisher to put them out because I have full flaming devil sticks (not many people I have talked to know about this yet I guess... its where the entire devil stick has flames on it, not just the ends) and they dont think it is safe for me to blow them out like I normally do (I'm a swimmer... strong lungs wink).

My question here is would the CO2 fire extinguisher damage my wicks? I would hate to have to replace all of them frown

Thanks in advance, all ways new there would be a place like this to find answers to questions... just never thought to look wave ubbidea

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
Your wicks should be fine. It's a little overkill unless there is a problem, but I understand why. I'd suggest having fire saftey people there holding wet towels just in case especially with devil sticks. Remember if anything can go wrong it will happen during a performance.
Have fun. smile

Cody Canon
Controlled Burn, Reno Nevada

Big AndyBRONZE Member
186 posts

Posted:
Yes, i would push for just having a trusted safety person that you KNOW personally, don't just let some uppity teacher be your safety person. Just use damp towels, the fire extinguisher thing is overkill, un-necessary, and really pretty silly, though you should defintely keep an extinguisher handy for an emergency.

"We can't stop here! This is bat country!"

"Welcome to the U-S-A,
We'll treat you right, unless you're black or gay, or Cherokeeeeee!!"

-Brian Griffin from "Family Guy" (the dog)

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
use the damp towel. fire extingushers can actually irritate some of the people in the audience (depending on the type). also a huge distraction and frankly less precise than the damp towel.

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
one more thing - if something does go wrong, do not have them use the fire extingusher on you if the wicks get wrapped and stuck or something unless it is an extreme emergency. Use the damp towel in all cases when fire is on the performer. incorrect use of a fire extingusher on a person can cause severe frostbite.

really, the damp towel is much safer in most cases. the extingusher is only there in the case that things get out of hand. it is important to have a safety that knows the difference as to what the situation is.

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!