Forums > Other Toys > Flaming Swords, anyone?

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
FireGirl_and_Pixieboymember
29 posts

Posted:
here's whatcha do.

get a big sword, no...bigger
that's right.

attach kevlar to it.

BURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRN

and swing.

(and chop)

ubbidea

...wot?

howwowardGOLD Member
73 posts

Posted:
LOL rolleyes

Sometimes, you just have to believe.

Lynessestranger
15 posts

Posted:
Mech...I tried to look at your link but it told me access denied *pout*

Howwoward...nice sword!!!

If you have a choice between two evils...go with the one yo haven't tried yet

howwowardGOLD Member
73 posts

Posted:
The sword is no more. Broken at the first ring closest to the handle, in a vicious firefight tonight. Lesson learned = no combat fighting with casted weapons. Looks like I'll have to upgrade my fire weapons to weapons grade steel shrug Sigh, more money to spend.

musashiistarring Skippy the green llama
1,148 posts

Posted:
valuable lesson learned eh, I wouldn't have guessed that that would happen either. Tis a shame it happened, the sword was a beaut too frown
Think I'll look up a certain japanese smith in Kirkland and see if he's still around ubbidea

First intention, then enlightenment..
Ars Pyronomica

" Life is programmed. Whether death is programmed or not is yet to be determined."

howwowardGOLD Member
73 posts

Posted:
ah, but never fear - I constructed another! Just in time to burn in reno biggrin

1,148 posts

Posted:
ahh, nice..to burn this weekend too, no? cool

Ars Pyronomica

" Life is programmed. Whether death is programmed or not is yet to be determined."

howwowardGOLD Member
73 posts

Posted:
but of course! wink - hopefully without any further mishaps. Now I've got to look into full tang combat swords... too dangerous? Maybe.

1,148 posts

Posted:
if your smithe is nice, he will make a harness for the wick that allows a blade shape _with_ wicking, not wrapped around. I'm beginning to think this is the best way for sparring swords wink

Ars Pyronomica

1,148 posts

Posted:
oi, anyone ever notice when you're sparring with blades wrapped in kevlar(if it's thick enough) you get little fireballs when the blades meet? loox like lightsabers ubblove

Ars Pyronomica

AmanitaSILVER Member
157 posts

Posted:
Somebody who's come up with a good solid firesword design needs to post an online tutorial with pics, on how to build one..Text descriptions are nice, but step by step pics are even better:)

"Do not meddle in the affairs of Tower Cranes, for you are soft and would look better when squashed by a full concrete bucket"

howwowardGOLD Member
73 posts

Posted:
I've actually got step by step pics for my 9 ring fire broadsword, but don't have a place to put it. Judging from the response, I don't know if I'd call it a "good & safe" design, but I still think it's pretty good in the right hands
rolleyes

AmanitaSILVER Member
157 posts

Posted:
I suspect the holes where the rings pass though might have been a stress point, especially with heat added to the mix..I suspect soft steel might be best for these types of things- the harder the steel is, the more brittle it is.

"Do not meddle in the affairs of Tower Cranes, for you are soft and would look better when squashed by a full concrete bucket"

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
Written by: Amanita

I suspect the holes where the rings pass though might have been a stress point, especially with heat added to the mix.

but amanita, how then can howward stop, catch & control spears without the rings?!
the puppies!! who is thinking about puppies!!
save the puppies!!

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

AmanitaSILVER Member
157 posts

Posted:
I was thinking about this..A solution might be to make the back of the blade where the rings go a bit thicker- more metal to resist stress fractures..Also, you have to register to view this board, but
www.swordforum.com has a great board where they could advise you further- swordsmiths hang out there. I'm sure they could also advise about which type of metal is best for what we're doing with it.

howwowardGOLD Member
73 posts

Posted:
good idea - amanita, thanks for the resource.

The 9 ring broadsword --> firesword conversion document is finished and is awating upload onto a server... I'll let y'all all know the addy later in the week!
ubbloco

howwowardGOLD Member
73 posts

Posted:
here it is, with about half the pictures not working yet...

https://www.encompassing.com/sft/firesword.html

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
dat is a beautiful piece of art mate biggrin:D:D

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Thats lovely work, nice one

Love is the law.

howwowardGOLD Member
73 posts

Posted:
thanks y'all - still working on getting the last of the pictures up

AmanitaSILVER Member
157 posts

Posted:
I'll keep my eyes open for the rest of the pics..Nice tutorial, BTW.

I read the description of the sword, and the stuff it's made from might have been a contributing factor in its failure- cast aluminum, right? Not the best stuff for heat resistance. I still think soft steel might be your best bet.
And if you don't want to make a whole sword, I'm pretty sure I saw a steel 9 ring sword here:
www.martialartsmart.com
Either that or you could get a regular steel broadsword and add your own rings..Watch out for the "wushu steel" weapons they sell- those are flexible and whippy. You would be better off getting one of the weapons labelled "combat steel". I still suggest asking the swordsmitis on swordforum for ideas once you've got your sword picked out, though.

howwowardGOLD Member
73 posts

Posted:
definitely "cast" something - I don't know enough about metal, but it was relatively soft. Maybe musashii has an idea? I'm currently shopping around for combat steel swords, but unfortunately, even some of those aren't full tang confused

I'm going to stay away from drilling holes in the sword as much as I can, so another 9 ring broadsword is probably where I'll go... thanks for the ideas!

1,148 posts

Posted:
cast alu, could be die cast(the stuff tools are made from) as well, tho usually die cast is stronger. From the sword forum the suggestion was for a 1560 steel, pretty common among forges, tempered hard I believe, won't hold an edge but it would be strong as hell. Also a suggestion for baininite? Howow, have you thought about approaching a smith online, commissioning the sword then having it shipped? Might be kind of pricey, but probly worth it

Ars Pyronomica

Kaos ad Infinitumnewbie
1 post

Posted:
We're using fireswords as well.
You can check pics at https://www.kaos-ad-infinitum.tk
and the gallery at https://www.omnia-neocelt.com

Fueroaddict
465 posts

Posted:
Hi Kaos,

I see you found your way here.
I've seen your Fla. Sword act, twas cool.

Greetz,
Fuero

Hmm, there's gotta be something round and shiny, I can play with

Page: