Forums > Social Chat > what's your revolution?

Login/Join to Participate

pounceSILVER Member
All the neurotic makings of America's lesser known sweetheart
9,831 posts

Posted:
so i just saw bell hooks speak today. i got to listen to one of the well-known visionary feminists tell us about her ideas and thoughts and struggles and hopes and successes. and it was just completely amazing. i got to meet her after the convocation and tell her some of my ideas and goals, and she said to me, "i can't wait to read one of your books someday." it was absolutely inspiring. i never thought i'd get to hear one of the foremothers of feminism speak, i never thought i'd get to meet one of the people who have made a name for themselves in the movement. it's like a psychologist meeting sigmund freud, or a civil rights movement person meeting dr. martin luther king jr., or a physicist meeting albert einstein.

so i walked away feeling powerful, inspired, awe-stricken, and confused all at once. there are all these powerful women who have added to the movement, that have brought forth a new area of consciousness. and they all inspire me and remind me of why i chose this path. but then i struggle with the idea of whether i am just carrying the torch or am i adding to it? there is absolutely nothing wrong with carrying the torch, it's a noble position to be in and very important. but i want to add my own fire to it, i want to open eyes and implement positive change, and i want to inspire the next generation to keep carrying the torch and adding their own little bit of flame. a revolution does not grow simply with carrying the flame through and hoping the light stays, it also needs the people who are feeding the fire, making it so large that it's hard to ignore anymore. it grows with people who challenge ideas, who endure feeling uncomfortable with the conversations that no one else is willing to start. it grows with the people who dare.

so what's your revolution? what part would you play?

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**

SpitFireGOLD Member
Mand's Girl....and The Not So Shy One
2,723 posts

Posted:
Wow! pounce, it sounds like an amazing day for you.

My revolution? That is a good question. With the debate over gay marriage raging, I realize I've been on the sidelines of the gay rights movement for too long. My friends in Houston have seen the fire in my eyes when I talk about the inequity of a constitutional amendment banning gay marriage. They see the fire in my eyes when I rant about the break down in the separation of Church and State when it comes to Federal acts like the Defense of Marriage Act, etc.

We are a country which guarantees Freedom of Religion, but too many in this country assume their religion is the only religion, and their morality is the right morality. They don't realize they tread on the rights of others when they say "No you can't marry the person you love since that person is the same sex as you."

My revolution is the equal rights movement for gays and lesbians. I've been out of the push for far too long. It is time I get my hands dirty again, and make my voice heard.

Solitude sometimes speaks to you, and you should listen.

Kitveteran
1,269 posts

Posted:
you go girl!

i dont have mine yet... i'm looking tho will shout wehen i find it...

random murbles

BELTANE FIRE FESTIVAL. 30th april ~ Calton hill - Edinburgh
SAMHUINN FESTIVAL. 31st October ~ Royal Mile - Edinburgh

pounceSILVER Member
9,831 posts

Posted:
i completely hear you Spitfire. i have to laugh at myself sometimes because i have so much passion in so many areas and sometimes i get so scatterbrained. i'm trying to give my all to one area so that it gets the energy it deserves, but then i remember too that so much of this overlaps.

on another point....

Quote:

We are a country which guarantees Freedom of Religion, but too many in this country assume their religion is the only religion, and their morality is the right morality.

well said. our country guarantees the freedom OF religion but we don't guarantee the freedom FROM religion. (didn't you just say that to me the other day?) that statement really stuck with me when i heard it, and it's completely true. it's a shame that we force religion on our masses and with it, force the negative ideals that we claim came from God (or whatever higher power). but we forget....the Bible, the Torrah, the Book of Mormon....all of them were written by man, not our creator, whoever or whatever she/he/it may be.

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**

SpitFireGOLD Member
Mand's Girl....and The Not So Shy One
2,723 posts

Posted:
smile

That was a quote from vanize in my thread...where ever that thread has gone. haa haa.

Yes, it's true, though. People do forget the "Holy" books were written by a human somewhere along the way, and translated a few thousand times.

Have folks seen the letter sent to Dr. Laura, a talk show host who will do more damage to women's rights and gay rights than I care to think about? IT was in response to her quoting LEviticus, which states homosexuality is an abomination (or at least that's what folks say...I need to look it up for my own reference)?

The letter goes on to question other items in the Bible, in LEviticus...like a neighbor working on the Sabbath.."If my neighbor is working on the Sabbath....should I take responsibility and kill him in the name of God, or?"

There are many others. Amusing read, anyway.

Solitude sometimes speaks to you, and you should listen.

SilvurBRONZE Member
sumthin sumin smmnm....
372 posts

Posted:
I don't know what my revolution is yet, pounce. There are so many things that I am passionate about, and so many things deserving of my energy, that's it's so dificult to pick just one. I try to just live my life and lead by example, and teach the kids that come into our home that it doesn't matter who you are, you can do anything. I think that's what I'm best at, is working with and inspiring kids.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
My revolution is a cooperative revolution in which business and government (and even housing) would be run by people who own a share in the organization. United Airlines was an employee-owned corporation for a while, which is a step towards being a cooperative, but some corporations have become complete cooperatives and have done quite well. Sunkist Citrus is one example.

Why are cooperatives so great? Well, consider the case of a housing cooperative. In a single family home, every family needs a washer, a dryer, a slotted spoon, a stove, a fridge, and a lawnmower. But in a cooperative, we all share a big fridge, and maybe 2 or 3 washers and dryers. Thus, we live more efficiently.

Cooperative businesses allow small groups to conglomerate into larger organizations that have access to large-scale equipment and resources, like international transportation and telecommunication that no single such group could operate. Being part of a cooperative instills pride in work and gives power back to the little guy.

So my revolution is a cooperative revolution.

And as for me? I cooperate. cool

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Quote:

My revolution is the equal rights movement for gays and lesbians. I've been out of the push for far too long. It is time I get my hands dirty again, and make my voice heard.

Bless you. ubbrollsmile

-Mike

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I don't know what you people are bitching about.

As an educated, employed, middle class, white, heterosexual , American male... everything seems fine to me. wink

ubbangel

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Ut uh, NYC! You're not married with 2.5 children! And you don't go to church!

(Welcome back! Where ya been?)

-Mike

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Oh yeah.. forgot about the childlessness... you got me there. I'M A REBEL!!!

(Where've I been?! I done been here... you just never read the threads after you post! Nice to feel missed even when I'm right here though... kiss )

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

pounceSILVER Member
9,831 posts

Posted:
Quote:

I don't know what you people are bitching about.

As an educated, employed, middle class, white, heterosexual , American male... everything seems fine to me. wink

ubbangel

rolleyes

sooo funny tongue wink

**giggles**

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Quote:

(Where've I been?! I done been here... you just never read the threads after you post! Nice to feel missed even when I'm right here though... kiss )

Do TOO!!!

-Mike

telicI don't want a title.
940 posts

Posted:
What a great question. I'm not sure I have a revolution of my own. Feminism isn't a revolution for me - it's a way of life. I carry that torch by trying to live so that I can be an example of what a woman can be.

In less than two years, though, I'm going to pass the bar and be an attorney deeply interested in civil rights. I want to be there to help bring and defend the lawsuits that make law to change things for the better. So, in a very real sense, my revolution is to become a facilitator for all of your revolutions. I take the very simple view of: An it harm, do what thou wilt. I will place myself in the path of anything that interferes with that.

(Yes, I do look up to Clarence Darrow in some respects. Why do you ask? ubblol )

My revolution is also around the sun. Just so you know. tongue

E pluribus unum, baby.