DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Hey all smile

I've had a pair of the white flags from HoP for a while now but they're looking a bit tired and erm, black in places.

Has anyone found a way to clean them?
I was going to chuck them in the washing maching but as they have ball chain down the seam which you can't remove which would rust and turn them a nice shade of orange.I've tried scrubbing them in the sink but that just sort of smeared them a bit...

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
I know nothing about the flags or cleaning but in the spirit of you'd never know, would it be possible to get something like that dry-cleaned?

Actually, maybe they use steam for that *shrug* erm sorry... confused

*runs off and hides*

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

PukSILVER Member
Sweet talented nutter
2,615 posts

Posted:
Yeah im in the same boat to im going to try hadwashing with some spray's

that shrewd and knavish sprite

Called Robin Good Fellow ; are you not he that is frighten of the maidens of the villagery - fairy

I am the merry wander of the night -puk

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
I've got some Bike Degreaser (bio stuff, basically I think it's just lemon juice in a bottle) which I'll try, but I've found that it does loosen all the oily stuff from the flags (We used to practice in a car park hence being dirty) but then it just re-stains a larger area making a sort of grey-colour.

Maybe bleach? The flags are white anyway...

Or is there a cunning way of stopping things rusting? Like drying them straight away in the tumble dryer - I dunno, washing's for girls wink

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
I don't know about the HoP flags, but my white flags have happily been in dilute bleach a few times before. I won't reckon they'll happily go in the washing machine so you'll have to get your hands wet smile

_Aime_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
*ahem* im very offended, washing is not just for girls!
My practice poi got really dirty so i just filled a bowle with hot water and a small handfull of soap flakes. worked a treat. xx

Tao StarPooh-Bah
1,662 posts

Posted:
get some vanish - it works really well,

you can get stain devils for rust stains as well... wink

I had a dream that my friend had a
strong-bad pop up book,
it was the book of my dreams.

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Right - well, as soon as Mrs. Durbs gets back from Uni I'll get her to give them a clean.

Not really - I guess it's a case of giving them a a good scrub and maybe soaking them in mild bleach. BUT - this is just a random thought - might bleaching them affect the UV properties of them?

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

Tao StarPooh-Bah
1,662 posts

Posted:
bleach will probably affect them if they're regular UV fabric. They'll end up all patchy and weird. I'd try to find something specifically designed for stain removal - bleach can make white fabric go orange as well and often reacts to other chemicals and stuff in the environment.

I had a dream that my friend had a
strong-bad pop up book,
it was the book of my dreams.

pounceSILVER Member
All the neurotic makings of America's lesser known sweetheart
9,831 posts

Posted:
i accidentally had my flags sitting in a huge puddle of paraffin, and since i was in england at the time, leaving to go back to america in a day, i couldn't exactly let them sit and attempt to dry out and then put them in my suitcase (ya explain that one to customs..."uh why does your suitcase smell like fuel???") so i took a chance and washed them. the flags got nice and clean (they needed it anyway), and the ball chains were quite fine. i think the ball chains are stainless steel so they don't really rust. so my advice...just wash them in the washing machine. but don't dry them. set them out to dry.

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**