Acidmember
110 posts

Posted:
hey everyone
Non-Https Image Link
ever since i started, poi has become part of me. when i introduce myself to people or am asked for info aboout myself i always include poi.i learn (im saying learn and not study cause well it's not a very developed? class) art at school (12th grade!! woohoo)and after thinking for like 5 months on the subject-what will be my final art project be- i decided to include or rather base my project on poi and twirling. im going to make a sort of movie of myself twirling and put a tv inside a very "noisy" room. trying to make others feel what i feel when im with the poi.so just felt i needed to share with you.[This message has been edited by Acid (edited 10 March 2002).]

life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans John Lennon

Randommember
43 posts

Posted:
Im also thinking of bringing my twirling into my university work,my idea of what i want to do is a performance piece in a very dark room with a couple of lab bunson burners and a load of chemicals, and after the people file in i will start a chemistry lecture talking about how different chemicals produce different colours when they burn meanwhile i will light up my poi and start to twirl then using other colour flames as my lecture goes on, i just wish i was taught that way.------------------"smoking makes you look cool" His Majestys personal Elvis

smoking makes you look cool His Majestys personal Elvis

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
hi,I tried bringing my stick into my uni stuff, but I ended up hating having to use something I loved and was very uncomplicated for me in the context of academic discourse. It kinda put me off stick a little (better now smile ) so beware! course it depends on your course and colledge, mine is right up its own post-avant fart hole. so hey...good luck peeps winkNix

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

twirlgirlmember
13 posts

Posted:
I'm planning to bring my twirling to school, too... but in a different context.I am currently a Master's student in Elementary Education at the University of Pennsylvania. I student teach a kindergarten class in a public school in West Philadelphia. In a few weeks, I will be teaching a unit I designed on making movies. The science component of my unit will be on the princliple of "persistence of vision," which is the principle that our retinas hold an image for a fraction of a second. That is why we see a series of still images flicked before our eyes as a moving picture, and why we see twirling fire/beaming/glow poi as circles of light.On the day that we begin our science unit, I will turn off the lights in the classroom and twirl glowsticks for my students. Then we will discuss why they saw the glowing circles.Just thought I'd share... smile

Kinudin (Soul Fyre)veteran
1,325 posts

Posted:
Hey twirlgirl, are you sure it's a kindergarden class you're student teaching for? I would have loved to have that as a lesson when I was in kindergarden smile(all we really got were politeness classes, right and wrong, math and I learned my ABC's there grin)Kinudin