Kyle McLeanBRONZE Member
Living it up
363 posts

Posted:
OK. What do people see as making a contact combo? The idea of a contact combo is something I keep coming across here but have not as yet fully understood. So speaking to any and all, what's YOUR definition?

What would be the smallest example? and if some one was to just keep contacting all day would you still call it a combo or would you just call it contact?

ubbloco

Contact without dance is like sex without wiggling.
A) it does feel as good
B) it does not look as good on film

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
i think of contact moves being like a shoulder roll or neck roll and contact sequences being like shoulder roll to neck roll to shoulder roll (so basically anything that can be done without holding the staff with ur fingers) and contact combos being linking squences together. but thats just me

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

Kyle McLeanBRONZE Member
Living it up
363 posts

Posted:
ubbidea
That makes very good sense indeed MR Ben...

So to take that and run with it the smallest combo would be any move that uses two+ non hand like surfaces in a row.

Any other Ideas?

Contact without dance is like sex without wiggling.
A) it does feel as good
B) it does not look as good on film

benjyBRONZE Member
29 posts

Posted:
call me a newbee with staff
or even call me stupid

but you need a long staff to do these things, right???

i've got a short one 1 m 20 cm
and i don't even trie it when its burning...
maybe a shoulder....
need to get out. inside is not a good place to practice

Think for yourself Question authority

tenticleenthusiast
275 posts

Posted:
i'd call a contact combo any sequence of spins that you can keep going without having to grip the staff in your hand because you've run out of body parts or the staff has slowed down to much or it's fallen on the floor or something. (although if it's fallen on the floor it's probably a failed combo.) As soon as you grab it, thats the end of the combo... if you did it all day i'd not call it anything due to general awe and speechlessness.

Benjy: it's not the length that matters as much as how much weight there is at the ends. Mines just a bit shorter than 1m20. and learning contact in a confined area is best because you learn how to do stuff slowly to avoid flicking the staff into the crockery... you really quickly learn how to grab a wayward staff out of the air before it demolishes everything the surrounding area or hits a housemate round the head.

--Ben

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
i don't think i've ever used the term 'contact combo'. just contact.

how big are your wicks then on a 120 ben? smile

i do a little with a 125 but with much smaller wicks than on my trusty 150s...

biggrinR ubbcrying

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
so rob when u twirl what contact do u like most?

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

tenticleenthusiast
275 posts

Posted:
bluecat they're 12cm long, but they're weights rather than wicks. my staff's a broomhandle with cloth wrapped on the ends, weighs about 400g in total, about 120g of that's the stick. I prefer a heavier staff over all, but every time i make one i really like someone steals it at a party...

--Ben

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
cheers ben1.

ben2 i couldn't say.

all the time i am trying new stuff... and it all exites me. yesterday i was doing cartwheels with the staff wrapping round my neck, and wierd floor stuff... so honestly i have no preferred move/s. also i have forgotten half the stuff i've learnt... and so am constantly saying:
'oooh. i wonder if i can still do that cool move i learnt at XXXXXXX(insert location)' and it comes out lovely and for about thirty seconds its my favourite move....

but in all honesty when the staff is not touching palm for a minute or two it is hard to say which bits of the movement are the nicest.

which bits are used as staple recovery without dropping tho... now thats different.

biggrinR

Holistic Spinner (I hope)