Forums > Social Chat > Troupes and their names

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
Rick aka LokiBRONZE Member
134 posts

Posted:
Hi, all.My troupe was performing (just minor gigs)during the spring and summer as "Cirque du Flambe". I had a hunch this would be a temporary name as it was a pretty obvious play on words so someone else was probably using it. This turned out to be true.Our name now is "The Ash Circle". I'm hoping no one is using this. This has been discussed for stage names, but I couldn't find a string like it for troupe names, so here goes...If you perform as a troupe, what's your name? What would you like it to be? Tell us about yourselves: the number of members, level of professional activity, any gripping soap operas and love triangles in your midst? Do you eat together? pick bugs out of each others' hair? that sort of thing...

-Rick aka Loki
oh, man, a signature?... uuh... this is like coming across wet cement... uuh, shoot, I had something clever I was saving... I hope I don't run out of sp

SorchaTheFlamingmember
235 posts

Posted:
I think instead of the flaming idiots we could think of something really creativeSpontanious muff combustion strikes me as fitting... *l*:P

Teach tolerance, not competition.
Send food, not bombs.

Thistleold hand
950 posts

Posted:
No sweetie it was not just your imagination. While you are handsome and not so abrupt as some people thought, you are going to have to stop believeing you're still young. After all you will be 28 in 5 weeks! winkOnelove TFP smile

Are we nearly there yet?

jentheroomember
7 posts

Posted:
Hey you twirling guys!We are a troupe of 5 in Brighton and are called CYBERSECTS which is a fab name!!! You can see us at STORM and are more fetish based shows ,at the one and only ORIONSGATEJENTHEROO

smileemember
40 posts

Posted:
We've recently started a group here in san diego, we call ourselves "Thermotrance". There are only three members so far. We haven't done any "official" shows yet, but we have been invited to entertain "The International Law Society" in February. We hope to start entertaining for private partys soon, our february show will pobibally help get the word out.

later - Smilee

tallicaburtonmember
51 posts

Posted:
Someone wrote about Flaming Idiots...there is a juggling group in Texas called the Flaming Idiots...yeah...that's about all i have to say about that....Peace-Tallica

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Post deleted by Cantus

Meh

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
Woohoo! Old thread to bump!

Anyway, I was thinking about a name for a Fire Performance pair. We're not really a troupe, because there is going to be between 2-5 of us. We could use a name, and for reference, these are off-limits:

The Ash Circle
Cult du feu
Dragonfire
Fire Works Dance Co.
Fireworks
Thermogenesis
Cabiri
PyroSutra
Pyrotica
Pyrotechnique
Cirque Du Flambe
FireFlies
Fireflys
Fuego Boys
Fuego Girls
Fire Fairies
Pheonix Tribe
Pheonix Society
Dragon Tribe
Belly of the Dragon
Circ de Fuego
Pyromorph
Wick Effect
Thermal Echo
Fire at Random
The Flaming Butterflies
Memory and Dreams
Fireweavers
Luna Flare
Earthdream
Anthelion
Centrifugal Burn
Burn!
Firestorm
Flamethrowers
GotFire?
Midnight Sun
Esoterotica
Orbital Bliss
Pyrogeist
Flam Chen
DEATH GUILD
THE FLAMING PUSSIES
The Third Degree
Ignis Devoco
Firetribe
Thermotrance

I was thinking "Promethean Gift" or possibly "Flame Kin". I am completely open to any suggestions for nifty names, and also notice of any more names that are currently in use, and should be avoided. "Solar Fire" was another one...

@Cantus: Do you feel old? wink ubblol

After much consideration, I find that the view is worth the asphyxiation.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
There are also The Burn Unit, Pele's Element (no association to me), Farenheight (an aerial fire troupe), Tan Tien, Chi-Burners,
Solare, Solar Flare, Solar Fire, Solar Blast, Fyrae, Pheonix Rising, and there are 3 Flaming Idiot groups now

...at one point there was 1337....for more just look on the listings for the COL vidoes, as I am sure there are tonnes I am missing.

I do not envy anyone trying to find either a stage name or a troupe name not taken. Bleh.

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

_FSA_now comes with skydiving license
1,627 posts

Posted:
well this is us, The Suitcase Circus.

3 person circus, all girls, 2 sisters (myself and Ilsanya) and one close friend (Raro) who is practically family as she basically lives at our house smile we do street theatre shows mainly, busking at events or we get hired. brings in the cash though tongue

originally it was just Ilsanya and i, and we were just a fire twirling act. back the we were called Stella Urwa (elvish for Sisters of Fire) but then we became more of a circus doing contortion, acrobalance and other cool stuff and we got our wonderful new member smile so we became The Suitcase Circus. we chose this name mainly becasue all our gear we carry around in suitcases, and at the start of our show Critt (our other member) comes out of the suitcase.

recently we have discovered that there are in fact other Suitcase Circus' and also Circus in a Suitcase. fortunately i dont think they are based in Australia so we are fairly safe...

well i think i stopped making sense a while ago, but i hope you come up with a name. one way we thought of to get a name was to put lots of words that we felt were relevant (or not ubbloco ) and put then in a hat, then drew them out. we came up with some interesting combinations but settled on The Suitcase Circus instead. smile

Proudly owned by the very cute Pineapple Pete. Owner of Noddy. Joint owner of Mr Majestik.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Dont forget: Pyroflow, Carpe Ignem, and of course, Flame Oz.

Oh, and United Chains of Fire is taken too wink

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
te POOKa biggrin (love triangles : a few. not tricky with over three hundred people performed in last three years)
solar hug
nocturnal sunshine biggrin
carnival of the divine imagination kiss wink

biggrin

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:

PYROTATION

is offically off limits to everyone in the WORLD!!!!

its my group of friends who spin casually every tuesday at parliment house lawns in hobart and do occasional gigs. one of the groups little brothers made it up a year or two ago, and since then we've made some t-shirts wink. there are about 10 of us in the group but its very rare that we're all together for a spin or a show.

so, fear PYROTATION, for tis a wikid name biggrin (we think its the best wink )

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
Alright, so more and more of these names are looking off limits... anyone got good ideas for a name that isn't taken? After an hour of thinking my brain has basically stalled. I can't think of any more ways to fit "Fire" and "Spinning" into a group name! "Fire Good Inc" was another one I had this morning, but I think that isn't really very good...
EDITED_BY: Sethis (1138108421)

After much consideration, I find that the view is worth the asphyxiation.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

jemima (jem)SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,750 posts

Posted:
Written by: UraniumChipOxidationFacility

Dont forget: Pyroflow, Carpe Ignem, and of course, Flame Oz.

Oh, and United Chains of Fire is taken too wink

Thats the only one's I could think of from the top of my head ubblol

Never assume
Always Acknowledge

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
wave

Ahem.

Me too smile

Ok, so FirePoise seems a bit unimaginative... but, we're dancers (poise etc, le sigh) and noone in this country has seen poi before... so it's good for the clients too.

biggrin

Getting to the other side smile

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
4,696 posts

Posted:
that was tripped, i swear there was a post by lemonkey here a second ago............the ghosts of hop stirke!

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
Its possibly a good idea to not pay attention to Lemonkey... I did once, and we both got into a lot of trouble for it. wink ubbangel

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

_Aimée_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
Hastings Spin
Whoop!

10,530 posts

Posted:
Just remembered... Pyraddickted

Booya! biggrin

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
Is everyone forgetting Burnt Toast?

I think the idea of having a name in another language is a good one...

biggrin

Also sometimes has more of a ring to it, and is a bit more memorable than a play on words that you just made up (kinda like the one above wink )

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

10,530 posts

Posted:
Shaddap. wink

We got us a gig in september, biatch. tongue

biggrin

pineapple peteSILVER Member
water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
after trading briefly under a few names, ive now settled in with someone i know as 'phoenix entertainment'

there are two of us, though we bring in extras if we need it for the gig.

we do any combination of fire spinning, fire eating, juggling, acro, magic, escapology, statueing and freak stuff and have performed on large stages, on the street, small stages, doing walkaround etc.

cheers, pete hug

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

*proud owner of the very cute fire_spinning_angel, birgit and neon shaolin*

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I forgot Pyrogasm.

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
4,696 posts

Posted:
*sniggers* pyrogasm, he he he............

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
I think any group or member of the board with the word "pyro" in,

should be branded as having "not much imagination"

wink

"Fire" on the other hand... well, thats different.

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Written by: Sethis

@Cantus: Do you feel old?

Not really cos I'm now 5. Which is lots younger.

Meh

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
4,696 posts

Posted:
pyrotation has heaps of imagination!!!!!!!!!!!!!

what about a person that always uses the same 4 letters for their name, you do realise there are 22 other letters you could use!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ubbloco

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Thats the whole point!
ubbloco

confused

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
4,696 posts

Posted:
its a trap!!!!!!! pryo for EVERYBODY!!!!!!!!!!!

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
ubblol

Does it really matter?

Performance group names aren't for the benefit of other spinners after all - surely they're for random non-spinnery clients?

Getting to the other side smile

Page: