Forums > Social Chat > Poi routines & linking moves 2gether!

Login/Join to Participate

Urban_Culturemember
89 posts

Posted:
alright every1, i have pefected quite a few of the no 2 advanced poi moves but haven't got much of a clue when it comes to linking them 2gether or working out a routine. has any of you got any tips on this or do u no wich moves link well 2gether with others (ect).si!

Thistleold hand
950 posts

Posted:
All the split time moves link together quite well as do all the butterfly moves. I see you live in Coventry. That's not too far away from Nottingham & we have a regular spin meet every Weds. If you are interested in coming along send me an email. Shine on. Thistlefirepixie smile

Are we nearly there yet?

DmAlterEgo
128 posts

Posted:
Linking moves is easy. it's all circles (ish) and you've just got to lead them between the different 'moves'.Best suggestion might be to see other people practicing and watch the videos on this site to see how people transition.

We're nothing but the nerds they think we are

Bendymember
750 posts

Posted:
Well I dunno bout easy! That is one of my problems too at the moment. I have some tricks down, but my transitions are very stinted. Makes for quite a dull show methinks.When I am using fire on some of my newer tricks, I just have to stop and then start up again. Not confident enough with the trick to ad-lib a transition with fire!But I agree with Alternativa - watching people that can do it well helps.

Courage is the man who can stop after only one peanut

Thistleold hand
950 posts

Posted:
Yep alternativa is right about watching other ppl to learn. I think its the best way. Bendy don't worry about *the show* at the learning stage. Just feel how the poi move and how you move with them. linking moves together will come with time (and lots of practice).uban_culture what moves are you trying to put together? As for a routine everyone I have seen has their own routine, although it does look great if you can get together with other spinners and devise a routine where you all move as one. I find that doing a move a couple of times before going on to the next gives the audience a chance to see the patterns of a move/combination and apreciate what they are seeing. Onelove, Thistlefirepixie smile

Are we nearly there yet?

DmAlterEgo
128 posts

Posted:
The way I see it is that moves do have component circles, and a lot of these are shared. So when doing a forward weave you can spin the poi in front of you, not to the left, and that can easily swing into the windmill and you've got 2/3 of a fountain. A forward weave beat on the right is the same as a backwards weave on the left, etc...Only really awkward transition is from someting like weave and windmill to butterfly moves. But even swinging at your sides and slowly bringing the poi into a butterfly looks good for a spectator.Thistle is right, let the poi and your body flow are you'll 'feel' when the poi and your hands can move out of one move into another.Bendy, when you say stop and start again do you mean stop spinning completely? You should post any particular problem moves.Dom

We're nothing but the nerds they think we are

Urban_Culturemember
89 posts

Posted:
my transitions arnt terible i was just wondering how 2 inmprove them.wat about when doing the corkscrew. wat moves can lead into this and watz a nice move to move on to. i always find this a bit tricky.si!

tallicaburtonmember
51 posts

Posted:
I'm not sure if this is right, but this is how i understand it...if you go into a giant windmill it is easier to transition into a figure eight or maybe the in time crossover. All i know that I have to go into a windmill by using a chasing the sun type move. I have some thoughts on transitioning out of a butterfly though, I make my butterfly into a crossover (that intime windmill) and then evolve that into figure eight/weave. is a triple corkscrew pretty much a chase on a different plane? and for some reason i can't do any backwards stuff, which is needed for turns (right?), anyone have hints? and hints on how to better flow with the poi, to use your body while spinning? thx... smilei only just started spinning, and if there are groups in austin that like to practice regularly, could i just you?--------------------------Search for meaning,not guided by thought.Help me find it,I am lost.

MystikDancermember
118 posts

Posted:
The corkscrew, windmill, weave and blutterfly moves can be transitioned from one to another pretty much in any order or pattern. From corkscrew to butterfly though, you'll need to switch the loop direction on one hand. But overall those are the 4 I would say I learned to work together first....

Paddington BearSILVER Member
118 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: tallicaburton and for some reason i can't do any backwards stuff, which is needed for turns (right?), anyone have hints?
ive in the last two hours learnt the backwards 3 beat weave. just break it down as slow as you can. do each movement of the arm as one. take time to know the move, then increase the speed and hang on till its comfortable

fire is alive. it lives and breathes. it consumes and destroys. but we control it and live with it, we are fire dancers

SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
I find it pretty easy to go from a corkscrew and change the plane without stalling to vertical. What I would suggest would be to watch some other spinners, get those songs that they spun to, and let loose with practice poi and you get to learn some transitions because you don;t think about it, just about what you saw. That might work wink

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin