Thistleold hand
950 posts

Posted:
Every week when we have a spin meet my poor dog is sick when I get home. I have suddenly realised that it is because of him walking in the kero we spin off and licking it off his feet. I am going to make him some booties to protect him. Dog owners BEWARE!Onelove, Thistlefirepixie

Are we nearly there yet?

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Does your dog actually like being around fire? It'sd probably pretty bad for him being there even if he does enjoy it.If this happens on a regular basis, it might pay to talk to your vet about a shampoo for helping to replace the protective oils on his pads, as well as any droplets or spray that might drift onto his coat which will do the same thing. Most fuels will dissolve these oils, and is one of the reasons why it is being licked off, to allow the oils to come back ASAP.It causes rashes and great discomfort under the coat as well as the possibility of dry and cracked paws if this happens frequently. The rash and cracks can also become infected. This process may take months or years to arise and the same period of time to fix as well.(sorry to sound so concerned, we used to breed boxers and have seen some people unknowlingly causing great distress to their dogs things, like taking them to concerts or loud music parties and then wondering why they are deaf three years later. They have very different bodies and senses to us, although it is easy to forget this, and they can't tell us when something hurts or is really uncomfortable). Thanks for listening to my rant... winkThis is just as much for others dog owners who may be reading this too.------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nz[This message has been edited by Charles (edited 16 November 2001).]

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Woof

Meh

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
Thanks Thistle, that's very interesting. I sometimes spin at a mates place who has a deaf cat. The cat is not concerned at all by the fire, and often sits behind us as we're spinning. Might have to keep an eye on him....

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Mieow

Meh

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
Wonder what the cows think...

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Tweet.

Meh

KatincaSee my vest.... see my vest...
693 posts

Posted:
Hey,One of my friends has bought her dog to the beach, when we were twirling once. It was a little puppy, everytime she went up to twirl it would follow her and try to bite the fire poi.*shakes head*For a little mutt it put up heaps of a struggle, we had to hold him back everytime she wanted to twirl.Well, since that incident she hasn't bought her dog again.I don't think it's very safe for pets to be around people fire twirling. I think it is best not to bring them.Love and light------------------ ~*~ Katinca ~*~

Love and Light

~*~ Katinca ~*~

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
That's what i was trying to say but I kept using the wrong languages.

Meh

Thistleold hand
950 posts

Posted:
Charles, no apologies necessary you have the dog's best interests at heart and that's good enough for me. It is interesting that you say it strips the oil from the pads as he keeps getting cracked pads on his feet, which then get infected. I am going to take your advice and keep him away from fire spinning as much as possible.Cheers!Onelove, Thistlefirepixie smile

Are we nearly there yet?

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Why not kill two birds with one stone?And after that (heh heh) try spinning your dog after your poi! It'll shake all the paraffin off him and look amasing. Hmmmm....I span infront of a dog once, not fire but tails, and the damn thing kept trying to eat them! Daft thing...Oh, on a doggy theme check outhttps://www.dribbleglass.com/subpages/strange/dogs-owners.htmmade me smirk

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude