Forums > Help! > Staring to fire spin?

Login/Join to Participate

LaavelBRONZE Member
21 posts

Posted:
a few of my friends that i spin with really want to start fire for some basic tricks. i'd like to do some fire too, but im too novice and im stilla little wary about the whole fire stuff. newho, anyone have any advice for anyone who wants to begin fire?

Where has my heart gone, trapped in the eyes of a stanger

Foraumember
81 posts

Posted:
Yes, relax!
I'm spinning for a few months and don't feel up to the whole fire-thing too, but why bother?
I'd rather be good and don't burn myself then to be not-so-good and get burned because I "have to" spin with fire.

Just take it easy, you'll know when you are ready for fire

LaavelBRONZE Member
21 posts

Posted:
thanks. i, personally, really dont want to, i am nervous about the fire, but damn, its awsome to watch! actually, me and my friends are trying to make our own ribbon poi, so if we cant do fire, we can at least look good ^^

cunninggitmember
10 posts

Posted:
Agree with that, dont start with fire til you feel ready! One of the main things that put me off fire poi to begin with was the thought that if the poi got out of control, and we know how easy that is, they would still be attached to my hands, so i took up fire staff! If anything goes wrong it tends to be you dropping it, its very easy to "disengage" from a wayward staff, and can really help build your confidence around fire

Whatever it was I didnt do it!

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
when you first spin with fire you are really scared of it, but then after your first spin you are so excited and full of adrenaline you just wanna go do it again, its so good. and you will never be able to get rid of the smell of parrafin again
just remember to try easy moves you know you can do, dont do things that you know you have a 50/50 chance of i wrapping around your head etc...

personally i dont think fire (if treated with respect, which you obviously have, hence the post) is as dangorous as people make out, so have fun

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

FireShannon2003member
2 posts

Posted:
If you even need to ask, then you are not ready. There are many aspects of fire poi that are dangerous, WAY beyond a little burn on your skin (the least of things that you should worry about). For example; the fuel that is used is so volatile, it can explode when fire/heat just gets close to it, a flick of a cigarette in the wrong direction and BOOM! I hear its like napalm on your skin, melting your clothing, etc. I see from your profile that you are 15? 16? and from your question I see that you and your friends have no experience with fire. Spend your time learning tricks, being comfortable with your poi, and when the time is right, learn to burn from someone who has experience with the dangerous chemicals that firespinners use. Good luck.

BethMiss Whippy
1,262 posts

Posted:
I agree with whats been said.
I started spinning fire when i was 16, i.e. about 6 months ago, so im still relatively new but i spun fire the first time about 2 weeks after i started and i haven't burnt myself...yet
That doesnt mean that you should start with fire straight away, im just giving you a different persons account.
Light up when you, and you alone, are ready. Nobody can tell you, not your best mate, not anyone. Its damn scary when you have just lit them and are about to spin but once you're surrounded by the roar, heat and smell of the fire all that fear just goes, you just do your thing and itll look fab!

Have fun and be safe,
Beth xx

Aim high and you'll know your limits, aim low and you'll never know how high you could have climbed.

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
Consistency and calm nerves are the key to starting with fire.

although anything you learn on the 'net should be taken with more than a hint of caution, common sense will protect you if you are 15 or 50 years young. We cannot be held responsible should you get hurt, but there are certain truths to the safest way to begin a love of flamage.

Consistently twirling a fire staff/poi without hitting yourself should be at least the miniumum milestone you should reach before attempting fire. It does not prevent accidents, but mitigates the risk greatly, if only because your nerves are calmer when you are that confident.

Don't think that proficeincy with practice toys will necessarily suffice, as they may condition you to too light a weight - typically firetoys are heavier, affecting handling.

If you are too nervous, try a friendlier audience, even none at all. The scrutiny of a camera and tripod I include as audience.

black clothing minimises evidence of accidents.

standby safety peeps/devices don't hurt.

it is helpful to twirl routines comprising only of moves you have mastered.

more experienced twirlers get hurt too (i type this as a bedridden broken bender ) so firetoys should obviously be given a healthy dose of respect. Forget about age or anything else that needlessly weakens your will. Yes twirling is a very physical art, but the mental component must be acknowledged. without a clam mind, my twirling used to be a staggered set of technical moves with little thought to transitions.

Lastly, you are your own worst critic - you'd better accept other people's praise and like it or ima get a ticket to halifax and slap some sense into ya

(kidding mate, kidding )

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

Foraumember
81 posts

Posted:
Oh, just one thing.
When you start doing fire make sure your friends know what to do and have the appropriate precautions(blergh, how do you write those things?).
It makes you calm down, less nerves, AND it is more safe!

So, be sure, and be prepaired.
Good luck!

Ooh,I just have to use ths smiley, it rules!

DarkDevilmember
233 posts

Posted:
Which halifax are you from? if your from Halifax, Nova Scotia, then there is plenty of us who do fire poi in the area. However if you don't want to do fire than you don't have to.. i have some friends who get their kicks out of using glowsticks.

EDIT: *Smacks forehead* After looking at your email address i realize now i actually know you, and we taught you the fire safety stuff, how much you absorbed i'm not sure. But we are still here to help you out. But who exactly is it whos interested? if its Zack, Steph, Jenn, and that other guy.. then i'd say don't do it.. they arn't quite at that level of not hitting themselves...

Ladies and gentlemen, this is not a trick, this is a stunt. The difference between a stunt and a trick is that a trick is something that tricks or fools the audience, a stunt is something that only an idiot would do -Ivan, Ash Circle, 10/04/03

EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
It's been said before but it bears repeating: start off slow and don't try to do that behind-the-back-triple backflip/upside-down -corkscrew combo right off. Whirl it around your head for a while, get used to the noise of it, start off simple and once you've got each move perfected add another one.

And don't deliberately breath the fumes or see how hot the chain gets with your tongue. There are people who do...

There is a slight possibility that I am not actually right all of the time.

Stubbsmember
31 posts

Posted:
I just want to point out that advising someone to initially light up under the guidance of an experienced artist is not always applicable, since there is not always someone to call on. I notice that the vast majority of people around here hail from major cities; those of us in small burgs have to be a lot more self-sufficient.

elastaaddict
645 posts

Posted:
Still, even in a small town, with no experienced guidance, as long as you find an open space, use paraffin not petrol, and don't wear something dumb like a shellsuit... cos that's likely? Just light up anyway! It's not that dangerous and I've seen people who've never seen poi in their lives just pick up some flaming ones and be brilliant! The best way to learn is just try it!

there's nothing quite as fulfilling as a tasty airwrap

if you're full of sh!t, at least you're fertile

"we are all flowers growing in God's garden... and that is why he spreads the sh!t around" - David Byrne

cunninggitmember
10 posts

Posted:
I think the general consensus is be sensible and stay calm, and that is the best advice, so heed it well! Fire is something to respect, not fear, and while it is true that i have also taught people fire from the very beginning i also know people considerably better than me (and i mean amazingly good) who have never played with fire because they just dont feel comfortable with it, that is a very understandable attitude.

I dont think you really need an experienced twirler on hand when you first decide to go for it, but talking to one is always good (guess thats why you posted the message huh!?), has someone gone through the safety aspect with you? We have discussed the yes/no arguments, as well as that unfortunate mention of a shell suit earlier, but do you know about what containers to use?

I would say wait til you are ready, then go for it! The noise and the smells and the feeling are just incredible!

Whatever it was I didnt do it!

LaavelBRONZE Member
21 posts

Posted:
thanks you guys for your responces, but id like to respond to a few. one, age has nothing to do with when i should start, my friend does fire poi, has for a little bit now, and she is my age, she is SO good ^^
i also disagree with doing fire poi alone, soooo unsafe, its safer to have people to put you out if needed, because ive head of stories of peoples hair catching on fire and them not even notising, others have
im not critizing anyone, just putting my opinions across, and im really happy you guys wrote, yay ^^ thanks lots!

greddyfirebratBRONZE Member
87 posts

Posted:
what the hell is parrafin
EDITED_BY: greddyfirebrat (1115889575)

fire is a living thing it can breath and it eats so respect the fire

.:star:.SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,785 posts

Posted:
Kerosene

JauntyJamesSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,533 posts

Posted:
My advise is: if you don't feel ready to spin fire, then don't. When you really feel confident enough to use fire, you'll know it. You may be your own worst critic, but perhaps that's a good thing when you're dealing with something as dangerous as fire. It's less dangerous than some people think, but a lot more dangerous than others think. I agree with you 100% that you shouldn't do it alone ever, that's just folly. No matter how experienced you are, something could go wrong and you could get badly hurt. Doing it with an experienced firespinner is best, but anybody there holding the fire extinguisher is integral. I hope you feel ready soon, but don't ever feel pressured.

Have fun with your first spin, whenever you want to do it. hug

-James

"How do you know if you're happy or sad without a mask? Or angry? Or ready for dessert?"

_Aime_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
sparkey, check the dates love wink

hug

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
this thread is a good two years old.. chances are the poster will have done fire by now wink

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

JauntyJamesSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,533 posts

Posted:
.:giggle:.

Somebody was having fun throwing me for a loop.

-James

"How do you know if you're happy or sad without a mask? Or angry? Or ready for dessert?"

nichnewbie
1 post

Posted:
i used fire the second day i hade mine and it was a little scary but i didn't burn my-self and that was about 2-3 weeks ago. Haylos are scary with fire

Ub3R 1337 H4x0R