Forums > Help! > Some Tattoo Help Please?

Login/Join to Participate

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
OH MY LORD...
I have had a tattoo on my foot for the past year and a half...I have never had any problems with any of my tattoos...but I noticed two days ago that my tat is raised (kinda like when yer first get them..) and is INSANELY itchy..
Any ideas as to what it is? C@ntus suggested that the shoes I was wearing might have flared it up...this is very true, shoes has since been thrown out.. ...what can I put on it (other than the gallon of calamine lotion thats on it already) Has anyone else had this kinda stuff happen? ITS DRIVING ME MENTAL

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
Valura, Couple of questions:

Have you had it in the sun?

What colour is the ink that's flaring up - black, red or white?

Is the ink hiding another skin allergy/reaction/dermatisis thing that makes it look like the tats the cause?

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
Since you've had the tattoo for that long with no incident that is really quite odd. It isn't very likely that your body just randomly decided to reject the ink after this long, infact your skin should long be fully healed. It sounds like you've got some sort of allergic reaction to something and the fact that your skin is inflamed is raising your tattoo, they do that sometimes depending on how the artist layed the ink. The one on my right shoulder raises when it gets cold.

Do you suppose you may have contracted atheletes foot somewhere? Or have you been stepping in anything odd lately?

Are you asking about what to put on it because you're afraid you may lose ink or otherwise damage the tattoo, or do you just want something that works better than calimine lotion?

But I would recommend cleaning the itchy area with rubbing alcohal or some orange oil powerd soap before going with any ointments as if there is some sort of allergin in the skin lotions and ointments will serve to seal it to the skin.

If it is really persistant you may want to go see a dermitologist. After all that is probobly your best bet.

Jesus helps me trick people.

FireSpiritSILVER Member
Classic 90's Fire Dancer... Poi, Staff, Doubles, and Breathing
743 posts

Posted:
I Loe my tats!
However My friend had a tattoo on her foot of a lizard, and after a few years it started to itch and fade/lift. The foot is a Hard place to have a tattoo. It is constantly getting rubbed by socks of all kinds ( Wool, Cotton, ect.) Athleats foot can be a problem also. Sandles in the summer is a problem too, the sun will bake your feet with out you even knowing. The ink in hers just didn't want to stay. I hear you man she was in annoying pain.
I would go to a good Tattoo artest and ask for advice, then to a doc. If you have a Alow plant you could put some of that on it to sooth the itch.
Good Luck,
~Fire Spirit

[ 17. December 2002, 17:05: Message edited by: FireSpirit ]

FIRE IS ALIVE!
IT LIVES AND BREATHS!
IT CONSUMES, AND DISTROYS!
BUT WE CONTROL IT,
AND DANCE WITH FIRE!!

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
Dear friends...
OK firstly Ade the whole tat is black..(its a little japanese character meaning spirit) I havent had it in the sun that I know of...and I dont wear any shoes except the pair I recently threw out under C@ntus' advise...They were little Faux fur ones (yes tacky I know ) just little slip ones though not the covered in shoes...I think they may have irritated it...
I dont have any type of icky fungal thing going on with my tooties..and my foot hasnt been in any foreign place (other than my mouth...lol) I know that for certian...Ummm My tattoo is usually very good...and never raises... not even in the cold..
Yeah Sickpuppy, I was asking so that it doesnt get damaged...I really like it and it has a lot of signifigance to me...(I will always walk the path of spirit)
I think maybe it was those silly little shoes...I will try the alcohol and just keep it as dry as I can...I wonder if that will work...

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

FireSpiritSILVER Member
Classic 90's Fire Dancer... Poi, Staff, Doubles, and Breathing
743 posts

Posted:
Can you put Alow on it? That may stop some itching, Also Neosporon (sp?) may help to heal. Thats a lot of ink!
Maby a Good Foot Massage!
~ Fire Spirit

FIRE IS ALIVE!
IT LIVES AND BREATHS!
IT CONSUMES, AND DISTROYS!
BUT WE CONTROL IT,
AND DANCE WITH FIRE!!

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
Well since the ink has been in for over a year you should be able to use just about any ointment. Most tattoo artists will warn you away from using neosporin, vasaline, or other such petrolium based products during initial healing as it usually causes the ink to litterally bubble out. It's not likely that will happen now, but if for some reason your skin is rejecting the ink it may not be the best thing.

Keeping the area clean and dry is a good way to start, using a hypoallerginic soap, (but not so dry that your skin peels or starts flaking, that would cause an itch in itself and would also be bad for your ink). That is what most dermatologists will have you do, as many people are allergic or develop allergic reactions over time to certian dyes and perfumes in soaps and lotions.
Aloe may help, but (it just occurred to me) try putting vinager on a cotton ball and applying that a few times a day. Vinager is really good like that for restoring the skin to it's natural Ph balance and general health. It also has some antibactirial properties as well. I use it on sunburns and such all the time, and while it may sting some when the skin is irritated it will usually go away after the first few applications.

Is it really puffy or looking like it's infected at all? Is there any redness around the area, or any swelling? Nothing that may look like a spider bite or the like? How long have you worn those shoes, and do you often go without socks?

Jesus helps me trick people.

Maelstrommember
135 posts

Posted:
Sick puppy is right. The foot is a realy hard place to put a tatoo so more then likely the person beat the crap out of your foot to get the ink to stay. This would cause alot of scare tissue. Hence, when part of the tattoo gets swellen the whole this goes with it. A spider bite would do the trick, or ever a reaction to some bad shoes. But odds are it is not a problem with the tattoo. Maybe a histamen blocker would help. Hope it feel better by now anyway.

Nothing good ever comes from hanging out with normal people.

shadsmember
36 posts

Posted:
clean and dry is the best advice. Keep the skin healthy also, so if the skin dries out use a hypo allergenic, non petroleum based moisturiser. Avoid foot rubs and massages over the area. You may also find the tatoo is painful to the touch, or at least to pressure. if you are doing something where it could be affected my something foreign (ie your swimming, wearing shoes with socks etc) put a water proof covering over it, this just helps keep bacteria and stuff out.
Otherwise I concur with all other responses. I work with tatoos and stuff most days, some are perminantly raised, others never stop being sensitive to the touch. But get it checked out.

brainstormaBRONZE Member
old hand
1,184 posts

Posted:
it shounds like t could have been the fux fur which can iritate the skin on some people

try some bypatium cream as this has an antiseptic in it and is also sugested by artist that you use this stuff for the healing periode and is good if you do have any probs

my tat every now and then gets a little itchy and i put some bipath on it when eve it gets a little itchy and that fixes it up straight away

oh and leave it out in the air tats like to breath and get fresh air not be shut up by some form of clothing

[ 10. January 2003, 19:28: Message edited by: brainstorma ]

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, and screaming "WOO-HOO What a ride!"

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
storma is speaking of Bepanthen:

Active Ingredients: Panthenol 5%, benzalkonium chloride, lanolin, almond oil. Approved Indications: Antiseptic for burns, abrasions, sunburn, nappy rash. Contraindications: Hypersensitivity to any ingredient. Directions: Apply once or twice daily.

I used this on my tat when I first had it done. Great stuff, very soothing.

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

Frazzlemember
105 posts

Posted:
I think I was advised to use Savlon when I first had my tattoo but that's going back some years now...seeing as you've had it done a while you could try Tea Tree if there's any sign of infection,Chamomile to soothe the itching and Lavender to aid healing.Hope it's better soon!

Happiness is a journey,not a destination