Forums > Social Chat > yeah, yeah FIRE POI!!!!!!!!

Login/Join to Participate

night_creepermember
8 posts

Posted:
I am soooo happy! My fire poi was setting here waiting on me when I got home today. I had to light up, couldn't resist. I got a very minor burn on my hand where they tangled. I guess that is what you get for being impatiant!!------------------Blessed Be

Blessed Be

Insatiable fire-faerie (Angie)BRONZE Member
150 posts

Posted:
I am still practicing away!..not got to the fire stage yet, but I cant wait either!!!just wondering though.....when do u actually know that u r ready to break free from the virgin firepoi land and just go 4 it????(I suppose with my recent history with my practise poi, Ive got a way 2 go yet)I cant wait to burn....but I dont mean ME literally!!Any advice??Angie x------------------"If you alway do what youve always done, youll always get what youve always got".....by 'someone wiser than me'

"You've got red on you!" Shaun of the Dead

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
When you know you can do stuff frowards and backwards without thinking about it.------------------C@ntus

Meh

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
- When you feel confident without feeling cocky.- When you feel like you *need* to do it with fire in order to make progress.- When you feel like you've got a good idea of what might go wrong, and you feel ready to deal with that.At least, that's where I was at when I decided to light up. I had about 50 hours of practice, and made a date with a fire-friend to come over and be my safety person a few days later.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

Insatiable fire-faerie (Angie)BRONZE Member
150 posts

Posted:
Hope the burns ok night creeper smileI am really, really bad at waiting for things....waiting for lighting up is like having your christmas presents sat in front of you and not being able to open them.....I suppose I just need to learn to be patient otherwise Im going to hurt myself ....big style!At the moment im having probs with the behind the back stuff...but ill get there.I'll keep you posted. Thanks for your help,Angie x------------------"If you alway do what youve always done, youll always get what youve always got".....by 'someone wiser than me'

"You've got red on you!" Shaun of the Dead

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
you will know when the time comes young skywalker. Let the force be your guide...Or you can just be a dork like me and spin for over a year and have not done fire...At first i just felt i wasnt ready. Now i am supremely confident, but i am the worlds worst procrastinator. i just havent made the time to light up yet.I will eventually. and so will you."S"

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear--not absence of fear.

- Mark Twain

Knagimember
397 posts

Posted:
Course you could be like a corn burner and just pick up the fire poi befor the practice poi smile For me it was when I could do a good handful of moves at least 10 times in a row without messin them up. Or in normal terms 2 months.------------------We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonMost Memerable crowd saying "Hey look that dude's gonna set himself on fire again!"

We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonIt's going to come from a direction you didn't predict at a moment of chaos which you didn't see coming. -- NYC

Chakanmember
68 posts

Posted:
Well its all a matter of condifence in yourself if you feel confident after 1 week or 1 month go for it. For me it was a month and I felt that I had a few tricks I could perform without any problems. Its the same with rock climbing if you feel confident about getting on a 30 meter climb and just leading it to the max then do it. Most things in life are a matter of having the confidence in yourself to just get out there and do it. And if it stuffs out on the first few tries just have the confidence to get back out there and do it again. Practise and sticking to it builds up confidence. Just keep at it. thats my 2c

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
I lit my fire poi more or less as soon as I got them, I'd been spinning some home-made practise ones for about a week and I had the 3 beat weave sorted.I just made sure I wasn't tempted to try anything new with the lit poi, just the 1 move I was sure I could do.I had 2 soaks worth of burning time, then decided I really needed to be able to do some more things, so went back to the practise poi.------------------King of all things Walrus[This message has been edited by TheBovrilMonkey (edited 31 October 2001).]

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

HappyStickermember
42 posts

Posted:
well it is time for me, i just got my set in the mail yesterday and have been practicing with the new weight almost non-stop....just went and got a jug of colemans and i am soaking my wicks as we speak....er....i speak. wish me luck.

If you had a friend that was a tightrope walker, and you were walking down the street and he just fell over......that would be unacceptable.

Janglamember
155 posts

Posted:
Well I reckon you should wait until you can spin your fire wicks unlit (they are heavier and so vital to get used to extra weight) for the length of time a decent burn would take without hitting yourself.I'm rapidly approaching this and absolutely dying to light up but none of my friends would be a good enough safety spotter so I guess I have to wait until I find someone frown------------------

---------------------With a bit of luck, his life was ruined; always thinking that just behind some narrow door, in his favourite bars, men in red woolen suits are getting incredible kicks from things he'll never know.

Juliemember
5 posts

Posted:
Well....I think sometimes you under estimate yourself and it just takes someone to tell you your ready. Wich is exactly what happened to me: I was practising with the practice POI for 1month, and a friend just light her fire POI and said: here your ready! i took `em spun them in the basic forward, and that was it I was hooked 1month later(wich is last week-end)I performed at a Halloween party and now and can`t stop.The first time I spun both Pois got wrapped around my wrists(wich had never happenned with the practice ones)I just whipped `em off, picked `em up and kept going!!!YOU CAN DO IT!!!Ju.

night_creepermember
8 posts

Posted:
I ended up doing a show for about 50 people last night. no mess ups at all I was so happy!!!

Blessed Be

Rolphmember
22 posts

Posted:
The first poi I used was a friend's fire poi. It was pretty much a case of 'that looks cool - give me a go' Needless to say I tangled them burnt myself, and began to use practice poi.Fire spotter?[This message has been edited by Rolph (edited 03 November 2001).]

xLessThanJakexmember
155 posts

Posted:
When I first used fire I just knew I don't kno whow it just came to me. Weird I know but you'll think to yourself right I'm going to do it I feel I'm ready.First time I used them the only mess up I did was get them slightly tangled but after that everything was fine, I really want another go but can't because they were my friend's chains and I'm getting mine for christmas oh well....F_S------------------Where there is sorrow I seek the Flame - Rumi

Where there is sorrow I seek the Flame - Rumi