Forums > Social Chat > Improvising And Just Making Up STUFF

Login/Join to Participate

MystikDancermember
118 posts

Posted:
Hey, just out of curiosity, does anyone here also find themselves making up one time things while they spin, like not even a move they made up and practiced, but just random stuff that looks pretty but not intentional... I seem to do that a lot when I'm more interested in keeping to the beat of the music than making pretty moves...-=M-D=-

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
NOheh, j/k------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====

KatincaSee my vest.... see my vest...
693 posts

Posted:
Absolutely - all the time. Most of the time.I don't really think alot of the time, and just make stuff up and much around. Kind of go into a Trance state. And you find whoa didn't think you could do that, but god knows how I did that????It Annoys Josh that I do this... :PBut I like it so I do it smileLove and Light------------------ ~*~ Katinca ~*~

Love and Light

~*~ Katinca ~*~

NaganootchAKA CLERIC
172 posts

Posted:
Yeah my buddy did some wierd move where he was doing a weave and then did a half body twist and they ended up flying over his arm to his back and then continued into a corkscrew. When he stopped, we couldn't figure out what he did and he couldn't do it again. Looked damn good though.

We are defined by the choices we make

NaganootchAKA CLERIC
172 posts

Posted:
Yeah my buddy did some wierd move where he was doing a weave and then did a half body twist and they ended up flying over his arm to his back and then continued into a corkscrew. When he stopped, we couldn't figure out what he did and he couldn't do it again. Looked damn good though.

We are defined by the choices we make

JaedenGOLD Member
220 posts

Posted:
I would immagine it would be pretty borring if all you did was spun some sort of pre-determined routine based on only what you practice.I would think that profesional performers might have something more scripted though.

The world is not out to get you but if you fight it you will be eaten alive

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
I cant do it without hitting myself.I've got great flow and continuity and can transition really well, but I cant improvise...I *never* just pull moves out of nowhere...some ppl (who shall relamin nameless wink) seem to have a knack for it. Tis a good skill for jamming, tis a problem for choreography...Josh

KatincaSee my vest.... see my vest...
693 posts

Posted:
tongue[This message has been edited by Katinca (edited 17 October 2001).]

Love and Light

~*~ Katinca ~*~

Bendymember
750 posts

Posted:
Since I'm fairly new at this I improvise when I don't mean to! I think:"ok, I want to do this," and when I try to I often stuff up the thing I had planned, and then have to improvise to prevent the poi from whacking me!Does that count??!!!

Courage is the man who can stop after only one peanut

Marlboromember
180 posts

Posted:
Yeah, me too, but as soon as I done something like that I try to think about it while I'm spining, as soon as I realise to just carry on spinning and not to think about it, *THWACK* poi pie in the face!!M
Non-Https Image Link
------------------"To seek the perfection of the warrior's spirit is the only task worthy of our temporariness, and our manhood" Carlos Castenada

We were somewhere around Barstow on the edge of the desert when the drugs began to take hold.

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
Yeah, every so often I pull off something really good by mistake.I can never do it again though, when I'm trying to think about how it worked, I end up hitting myself more.------------------King of all things Walrus

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

catboymember
167 posts

Posted:
seems to be a common thing for me... i try to do something by watching others (so i can work out where i shoudl be pointing, what funny faces i should be pulling etc.) this normally ends up with me doing something totally different, and painful...example.. i was trying to go into the btb weave a while ago, and ended up going into the dentist to put my front tooth back...

you can take the cat out of the jungle, but you cant take the jungle out of the cat

Drakienmember
49 posts

Posted:
Ah, I had this great session once where I just went off on some trancy-hibernating-but-in-flux kind of thing and kept twirling for five or six tracks of this CD. I'd just learnt circular chase (or forward-to-back, or whatever) and was freestyling for about twenty minutes non-stop. Then someone went "wow" or something and I totally lost the beat and both poi hit me in the stomach at once.But it was worth it. Freestyle chase with lots of body movement is ALWAYS worth it. smile------------------'Only ever use the pink kind...'

Posh ravers wear ties.

Knagimember
397 posts

Posted:
I've got the knack smile I've gone beyond defining moves in my mind and only define the style I wish to use for that spin. One of the styles is totally random with huge sweeping arm movements that make the poi go in totally random directions. I pretty much just jumble all of the planes in my mind and shoot for total randomness both close to the body and as far as my arms can reach. All the planes include reversing the poi and btb aswell :P Try and break your arms apart from each other and let them do thier own tricks.Has anyone else begun learning other ppl's styles as a way of incresing what you can do with the poi? I've got a pool of like 6 or 7 sytles I can do and only this randomness one came from me. There's another random style that I picked up from someone who hated the poi aspect of swinging. He had two long strings. Then he held them with his right hand at about the halfway mark together got them moving indepently then with his left he let them out and pulled them back in at random. I've been working out away to pull it off with fire but I'm pretty sure due to just how random and chaotic it is that I'm gonna get nailed like crazy. He even held a stick in one of his hands to bat the poi away from him when they came for his head.A slightly less random style that still looks random is the corkscrew style. Got this one from a raver it was all he could do and I've been tryin to master and improve it. He did the normal corkscrew then snapped his arms back and fourth and up and down at random and super fast. The effect turned into something that didn't even resemble a corkscrew.------------------We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonMost Memerable crowd saying "Hey look that dude's gonna set himself on fire again!"[This message has been edited by Knagi (edited 18 October 2001).]

We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonIt's going to come from a direction you didn't predict at a moment of chaos which you didn't see coming. -- NYC

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
yeah, I do stuff by mistake all the time that looks way cool. But unfortunately I can never remember how to do it when i try to do it again.------------------C@ntus

Meh

Blackbirdmember
337 posts

Posted:
Although this is all very nice in theory, when I actually attempt this I find that it doesnt really happen, and all im doing are slightly scattier versions of normal moves with more transitions thrown in, more random looking arm movements and the odd wrap (usually accidental).Planned improvisation, however, now that's another story.

x X x ß £ Å Ĉ К ß î я Ð x X x