I merely give you the site adress and leave the decision up to you

https://www.robertheart.com

the man, the myth, the legend, the heart

Viva UGLY STAFF

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I haven't a story...can I tempt you with mungbeans?

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
can't we have the bum shot, robert heart anicdotes, the where-have-you-been-for-the-last-thousand-years-then god story and some mungbeans all at the same time?

call me greedy, but if we get it all at once that sounds like the start to a pretty freaky party...
might have to wait for the ninja seal of approval though so don't get too excited now

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

TheApprovingNinjaFrom the Ashes of a Ninja Rise THE HIPS OF RAGE
371 posts

Posted:
it's not a bare bum covered in naughtiness it's drew teaching people poi while wiggling what can only be described as a happy pair of buttocks

Viva UGLY STAFF

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
hooray, that means bums for all!
/high fives the ninja, narrowly missing his naginata.

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

Oakenmember
34 posts

Posted:
Hi guys... Im fairly new around here and I read the thread out of ignorance and was impressed by robert's staff throwing (team) but I would hardly say that it's the pinnacle of what we do. sky is the limit kids... I did read the whole damn thread though and kinda have this feeling that some people dissaprove of his demenour... One thing to say.... Don't let it get to you... Nice people dont own firetwirling. Simple as that. The best fire twirler ive ever met in my life (incidently, he would absolutely WORK robert over) is a 24 year old punk-rocker who absolutely hates every fire twirler he meets (we grew up together though) well I shouldnt say every ftwirler, there is some... What I mean to say here is that if we believe that there is an associated attitude and way of life connected with our art, it's only because we have created this idea and were unchallenged in its birth and like george bush has so graciously taught us all recently, it just ain't right to expect people to think like you. But I respect all your thoughts though... this would be a pretty boring discussion group if we all kept our mouthes shut.
Oh yeah and on a little bit less of a diplomatic note, if anyone ever arranges that "battle", whatever form it assumes, I would glady teach mr. loudmouth a lesson he's needed for 17 years.
one love...

One Love, Dont forget.

Tanessamember
91 posts

Posted:
Thx for the link to finally see the famous, and what I've heard him compared to as "the god of staffing".

I am not impressed, AT ALL!!!!

I totally support local street artists of any kind, but as for his staffing, NOT IMPRESSED AT ALL. Sure, he may have invented some cool staff of his own, but I think we all can make our own staffs to meet the needs of our own shows (or at least I do my own custom work for mine). Being a performer all my life (as a dancer) I can appreciate the street performance (of comedy, music, lighting, and just plain old entertaining) but his staffing? Come on, who was harrassing me about him being so good?

I do agree with one thing he mentioned about having flow, and being able to spin in both hands in all ways and directions. That does give you more control in spinning. I think the fact that he is out there and still performing is worthy of a bow from him though (I am clapping, and would still tip you $5 for the street show).

Oakenmember
34 posts

Posted:
oh hi again.... this is simply a message for tanessa... I sent you a private message simply because you are canadian and you love fire and dogs... join the club sister, but Im not even sure how to check my own private messages and all that but I wanted to say hey and talk to ya a bit... you probably know how to work this site alot better than I, so get back to me if you get the chance... and how do you check your private messages?....
one love

One Love, Dont forget.

Oakenmember
34 posts

Posted:
Oh yeah and by the way.... amen sister... I wasn't thrilled or awed by his work either. I respect anyone who hasn't killed themselves with a firestick but to be truly amazed by a fire twirler, its all about the soul... the skills can be taught, the style cannot. and if anyone cares about my nit-picking opinions, I think his routine could use alot of work... there's more to fire twirling than standing stationary and going really fast while showing off all the moves youve picked up over the last twenty years... I'd actually enjoy seein this cat do some 360 jumps and charging combo twirls. you know.. when youve got alot of confidence with your toy you can really start throwing it and yourself around... But to be perfectly honest I think this guy has gotten way too much of our attention because of his undesirable attitude.. (maybe that's his hook, no?) Let's start a new thread...
one love...

One Love, Dont forget.

371 posts

Posted:
the funny thing about the heart is that he really does love staff, he thinks it's great and that everyone should do it. This is a good thing.

Unfortunatley he has a slight case of prima donnaism. While he may have inspiried people he claims to have started all staff everywhere. Also his style while slightly quick lacks the grace and dancing that makes spinning pretty. Any plonker can spin a stick around but it takes someone with talent to do it with grace and style.

You do have a point Oaken there is bound to be some people who spin who happen to be jerks. At least here in London though I haven't met a single spinner who I haven't liked. Generally though the whole movement, expressing yourself, and smoking really long cigarettes thing attracts a certain kind of person, a nice person.

Viva UGLY STAFF

duvanancient oachkatzlschwoaf
248 posts

Posted:
hey folks
as you can read in my other thread I opened 3 minutes before I discovered this I met him this weekend . I was sitting together with my friend and we smoked a cigarette when a man came and sit to us . we talked a little bit and he told me that he would be a staff spinner , doing staff since 27 years and he promised me that I would be much MUCH MUCH better in 2 or 3 days . Okay , it was my first juggling convention , I'm spinning staff since 8 months , most of the moves I learned straight here from the HOP lessons and vides and so I was really excited meet another staff spinner ... well ... then at the evening I asked him if he would be interested in teaching me . He said yes of course tonight we are going to practice 3 hours if I want ... well ... then
we met some time later at the hall and he meant that I had to relearn some things . he ment that the way to do a basic spin as it is described in the lessons of home of poi is such a stupid thing . so I learned his basic spin ... well some children came and he began teaching them .. I was waiting .. and waiting .. and waiting .. well some time later I began doing an ugly fishtail and I asked him if he could help me making this one better ... he said that I'm already able to do this move ...ok ... he went back to the children and taught them boring "8"figures moves ... I began doing some contact staff ( as Glass is doing it in his vid - glass I love you for this vid ) and then he came and told me if I wanna be succesfull in the whole world I should learn fast spinning and not contacts ....
that was only a small part of the story I alived with him , there were indeed also some positive stories .. he could teach me some double staff action what I'm thankfull for but all in all me and some of my friends didn't really know what to think of that guy .

I think he's doing his thing but he should stop to think that he's a god . When I came to him to say goodbye I told him that in 1 year I would kick his ass with doubles and he only said that I would be NEVER better than he - because I'm not using his spin bo's

sometimes I hated him sometimes I loved him - well , 3 hours after saiing goodbye I think he's quite ok , I expected to much of a guy who's spinning 27 years

bye , max aka duvan

edit : but all in all this weekend was great ( images : www.gauklertreffen.de ) and now I'm able to do really good fishtails

ah and there's another thing I wanted to say :
I'm really thankfull for this great great great spinning community love you all

6,978 posts

Posted:
I think the heart needs a good woman/partner to balance his view of things to include more of that others deem to be 'good twirling' - or for that matter, 'good manners.'

I've been in contact with an older confester and he's confirmed that he's had a Heart Experience too - Aside from concurring with the 'issues' you guys have dealt with, my friend did mention that Mr Heart had alot of technical moves and was very keen on sharing a practice session.

i8beefy2GOLD Member
addict
674 posts

Posted:
Awww I feel so sorry for this guy. Everyone has some redeeming quality. If how fast he spins in those videos is the extent of his speed, I have to say that I get going quite a bit faster than he does, which is disapointing. I've even learned to speed up many contact moves to the point where your body is barly in contact with the staff, so even that is possible (Though I suck at it, hehe). Speed does impress a lot of non-technical observers, but more often it is the fluidity and grace that impresses. At least in my experience. The speed get's the "Wow, that's cool" but the fluidy-contact-bendy routine gets the "Wow that is amazing".

Someone mentioned that the lack of planes (or plains?) is a bad thing, but I disagree. A lot of my dancing is wild and shifts into all kinds of different directions. While I of course still incorporate planes in a lot of my moves too, when I perform at my local spinning area I often get people in a half circle around me. Opening up my spinning this way means everyone sees the same move, several times from different perspectives, and they all look different. Nice way to spice things up for that venue kinda.

He's just upselling thats all. He may have a seemingly grating personality and inflated ego, but those people exist everywhere. Just another type to learn to get along with. Take it as a challenge! Life would be boring if everyone was as kind and wonderful as most of the HOP spinners... though perhaps I would not grind me teeth as much... hehe.

371 posts

Posted:
While opening up your planes can add a new dimension and let people see inside your tricks, good planes just plain look neater. It's like wearing nice trousers it's a pain but when they're creased and nicely folded you do look sharper. As for the heart he did give us something to do for nine days which is good but I just wish he would stop teaching or at least stop teaching people while proclaming that his is the only way to spin staff.

Viva UGLY STAFF

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
(In your opinion, Approving Ninja)

------

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

371 posts

Posted:
(bows to the moderating wisdom that is charles)

Viva UGLY STAFF

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
Wisdom! sheesh, you have a kid and suddenly you are old...

(This is a subtle "BUMP" for the thread due to the spin-bo thread).

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

371 posts

Posted:
kids will age you faster than a time machine you ancient dragon of the mountains.

Viva UGLY STAFF

6,978 posts

Posted:
i heard that vanishing cream helps fight ageing, but wouldn't it be difficult to find the bottle?

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
The bottle is easy to find, what's hard is to know when you've run out and need some more...

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
I really don’t have much to say about Robert h. But, IMHO and from a performance perspective, a lot of wild dancing in all kinds of directions can look like crap, unless it has some form. Hey, I’m a Virgo and I strive for tight planes, even when doing wild dancing i.e. u do not have to break planes to dance wildly

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
get your skates on mate...get down the shops for some Oil of Olay (or WTFthey are calling it nowerdays)

that works well...you wouldnt have guessed that im actually 78 years old would you?

371 posts

Posted:
I would have pegged you at an easy 67 but 78 NO WAY you must be using goat placenta or something

Viva UGLY STAFF

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
or using 'oil of hawaii'

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

Kyttenmember
21 posts

Posted:
Just in my opinion, this robert guy seems to talk more then he spins although the glow poi looks really nice...I want some frown but I can't afford them gimmie money someone you know you wanna ubbangel

BUBBLES&^%#$%#@$#@....*shiftey eyes* my bubbles

You bastard!

ferrousBRONZE Member
55 posts

Posted:
way old thread, i know. just wondering if this guy is still around since there's only a place holder at his website address.

when i grow up, i want to be a circus freak.

TankboySILVER Member
Resident Demolitions Expert
103 posts

Posted:
met him at burning man last year.

hes still around.

dont know if he still performs, or even spins, but he exists.

Page: