Forums > Beginner Staff Moves > 'Contact' doubles of a different sort.

Login/Join to Participate

NickCMonkey Wrangler
183 posts

Posted:
The other day I was thinking about devil sticks a little and came up with 'giant' devil sticks using doubles for the handsticks and a larger staff for the devil stick. Then this got me thinking about contact rolls and such of one double over the other. This would most likely be easier if one wick, placed closer to your hand, has gone out. You could also continue this roll like a devil stick move where you spin it continously, vertically oriented, on one stick, or do throws and catches. The possibilities are numerous.

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
yuhuh, try the contact cross above the head, thats the easyiest start for contact doubles.

N

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
Last year, at the last PiP in Clapham, there was a guy with dreads doing these kind of moves; using one staff as a handstick, and doing rolls and throws with the other staff like a devilstick, before slipping back into 'ordinary' doubles stuff. Totally sick.

Hey, Nix, whats a contact cross above the head when its at home?

Or are you too good to explain stuff now you're a symbol?

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
i think its a palm spin above your head with two sticks up there in a cross formation type of deal. one balanced on top of the other like.

some sick kiddies even pop it up in the air and spin both of their fiery twigs out of it (...on morning coffee maybe?).

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
Yay, now Jez has broadband i'll finally get to see those goddam videos

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
don't be nasty to my poor tom, hes been busy earning nothing busking with his singing stick....

contact cross is exactly as described by cole(who has yet to tell me he is visitng me in may )

noo video of old stuff about to come out as an interim filler...hehehe, will make sure i shove on some contact doubles stuff

love y'all

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Not sure if I'm confident enough to do a devil-stick type spin above my head, but I have been mucking around with stick on stick work for my long doubles.

An easy crowd pleaser is to roll one staff ponto the end of the other and then throw off the second staff.

You can then catch it again (with practice) with the second staff tucked under your arm.

There's a whole new area of moves (at least for me) starting to open up now...

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
cool. just finished noo vid. will be up in a week or so, sorry but camera going walkabout has meant non-transferability until i get hold of someone elses....

but this one is mainly stick....not much poi at all really

love
R

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
Hey all, thanx for the ideas, i never thought of crossed staff contact rolls, im pretty new to the contact world however after watchin Glass in his vid it kinda opened my eyes a bit

I have now got (about 7 times out of 10) both staffs same direction, while one does that under sholder, over neck under other sholder move (so fluently pulled of by Glass about 50 secs into his vid), the other gets passed behind the back on the vertical plain to the other hand.

Has anyone else tried this?

Not sure if i posted this in the right section but i couldnt find an 'i just learnt a new move thread' for staffs

Just thought i share it wiv ya all

Bestest

Strugz

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."