-scratch-member
7 posts

Posted:
ok well i was watching this guy twirling the other day and he was doing this thing where he kept it twirling continuously in one hand all over the place (or so it seemed to me with my untrained beginner's eye and all). he was doing lots of movement with his shoulder as well as elbow and wrist, and twisting and turning all the time. anyways, it looked real good, and i really want to learn it cos i've been trying and my joints just don't bend how i want them to. SO...if anyway knows what i'm talking about and could give me a few pointers in the right direction. any other good moves would be much appreciated as well, i've learnt most of the moves on the site and am HUNGRY for more.
cheers very much

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
was he flat-palming it?
was he sliding along like in contact staff?
what was he wearing?
who sent you?
i am hungry.

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
To start with, they kinda sound like wrist wraps (rolls). The rolls seem to flow fairly naturally from figure 8's, rotors, and similar moves. You kinda get a bit slack, and just start rolling the staff around the wrist. Then you take it from there, and start to get into contact staff.

Check out glass's video

Cheers

[ 26 October 2002, 15:41: Message edited by: Stone ]

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

-scratch-member
7 posts

Posted:
thanx for that stone

[ 26 October 2002, 17:36: Message edited by: keroassady ]

-scratch-member
7 posts

Posted:
actually, i think what i was talking about was a double figure eight. i read a description of it on this site this morning and tried to follow it but couldn't get my head round it. could anyone explain to me how it's meant to work? thanks

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
sounds like shotguns and footwork to me.

Jesus helps me trick people.

MrConfusedBRONZE Member
addict
529 posts

Posted:
What's a shotgun?

J

If you're not confused, you're not thinking about things hard enough.

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
There was a thread drifting around about single handed staff moves that I started a while ago - I've had a quick look and couldn't find it, but I'm sure it's still around. I'll probably have a look for it again later, if I find it, I'll post a link

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
Wahoo, found it!

It was only on page 3 too, looks like we need more people contributing to the staff stuff.
anyway, it's here and it's got a good description of the double figure of 8 by Charles.

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.