bulldozermember
38 posts

Posted:
Fall has arrived full force here in Amsterdam which of course means the weather is...errrr...lets say less than optimal.
So tonights practise was indoors. All nice and warm but unfortunately very limiting to my throws
Instead I fooled around with contact stuff (I gotta practise it more of that since it's sooooo cool!).
I was working on this move (the staff goes from a palmspin around to the top of the hand - from there back and around the upper arm and a then a regular elbow wrap so the staff comes back to the hand where it started) when I started to think about other things you could do with the staff when you have it in a palm spin. So I started to focus on the palmspin
At one point I was sitting on my knees leaning backward having the staff in a palmspin above my face/head when I realized that "Hey! Why can't I just transfer the staff from a palmspin to a forehead spin?"
Personally I've never seen it or even heard of it but I figured that it had to be possible.
So I tried it. The first not so few times very highly unsuccessfull resulting in the staff sliding off my forehead and hitting me on of my ears every time. Ouch!
Well, you can't let petty things like pain stop you so I continued. After a while I figured out how to smoothly transfer the staff from my palm to my forhead and then it actually started to work! Yeah!!!
I got the staff to spin a few times on my forehead before it once again went for my ears.
So now all I need is more practise and some good industrial strength painkillers for those ears

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. --Mark Twain

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
Nice move Thanks a bunch for sharing it with us - will have to give it a go sometime when my ears are already numb...

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

Salingermember
382 posts

Posted:
By the way Bulldozer, there's a new drum and bass night that has jsut started up there in Dam called Carbon Beats and it is run by one of my best mates DJ Kulu. Be sure to check it out for a wicked night!

Peace,

pyrophile

A conspiracy of silence speaks louder than words...

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Contact moves are great, if painful to learn!
I'm currently working on the palm spin, down right arm, round the back of the neck, and up left arm into palm spin. I can only practice for about an hour at a time before I have to go apply ice packs to both my arms and my head! But it's sooo much fun!

bulldozermember
38 posts

Posted:
Thanks for the tip pyrophile. Not much of a D'n'B fan myself although I can enjoy some dark Jungle everynow and then. Psychedelic Trance is what I listen to as well as spin.
However my girlfriend does like D'n'B so I'll pass the tip on to her. BTW do you have any more specific info?

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. --Mark Twain

bulldozermember
38 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Dom:
I can only practice for about an hour at a time before I have to go apply ice packs to both my arms and my head! But it's sooo much fun!
And people think we fire-twirlers are strange... I wonder why?

The other day I was waiting outside my girfriends work, well I guess I should say our work since I work there as well. Anyway I had my staffs with me so I started practising. The things is that this place is smack in the middle of the tourist area so it was very busy with people as always. You should have seen the looks on peoples faces where I was spinning the staff on my forehead and constantly smacking my ears... Hehe I can only imagine what they must have thought about the moron who was beating himself up.
Although I have to say that the smacking is getting less and the spinning is getting more

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
Like the crazy experimental contact staff stuff.

cool
Drew
______
be

entheogenGOLD Member
173 posts

Posted:
Sounds really cool, and probably since you can actually see the staff a bit i would imagine its probably easier to controll than just letting it spin on the top of the head.

And its definetly possible to get clean. Natalie Enderthon does it with a baton on the tip of her nose.

'There are two mantras in life, yum and yuk. I choose yum.'